Korean 1440p IPS monitors - $200 or less [REFURBS]

I'll let you know in 7 days ;)

I'm so tempted to buy one just to bring into work to replace the shitty 22" TN panel they provide me that hurts my eyes.

I do think work should provide decent monitors for developers, but they don't. $179 to not stare into a blurry POS every day is probably worth it to save my vision alone.

I'm so tempted to buy one just to bring into work to replace the shitty 22" TN panel they provide me that hurts my eyes.

I do think work should provide decent monitors for developers, but they don't. $179 to not stare into a blurry POS every day is probably worth it to save my vision alone.

If I was in that situation I'd bring my own monitor for sure, and make sure you put about 50 labels on it that say "Property of XXXX"

both to keep your stuff safe, and take a passive aggressive stab at management for providing shit monitors.

Surround is fun for all of 5 minutes before you go back to a single monitor :D

Yup. I still get use out of my three screens for desktop use, but my time spend with surround gaming was very short lived. It was cool on racing games, that's about it. Everything else it was awkward. It also killed performance, and was a pain in the ass to setup (I didn't like running surround in 2D so I'd toggle it on and off every time I'd game)

Just plugged in the TopSync. I am impressed. I unboxed it fully expecting some dead pixels and moderate bleed, but I am happy to say there is none! Screen is completely uniform, no bleed in the corners whatsoever. I have a feeling the refurb reason for this unit was a busted glass because I can tell the panel has been taken apart and the bezel is moderately scuffed with a couple light scratches. I can give up a nice looking bezel for a perfect screen. I can't believe how sharp this glossy is compared to the 1080P matte ASUS I have been using for years. The stand is a joke, but that's a given on these. If you fart hard enough the screen will shake, definitely investing in a desk mount. Overall super happy, if it lasts a couple years I will be satisfied.

Any word yet? :)

I'm glad that you like the product so far, glossy 2560x1440 ftw!

Haven't gotten into trying to apply OC yet. Still playing with GeForce to try to tame the pls glow in a pitch black room, and it's nearly gone. Gaming is a whole new thing on this screen :p

Look at post #90, it isn't dead....

holygrainotdead.jpg

They go on sale pretty often for around $180. The 3 achieva shimians I got last round are pretty awesome. No dead pixels or backlight bleed but 2 of them have a blue tint. It can be taken care of through color correction although not matching without a hardware color device. The price was right thought and not running a full triple setup wouldn't have even noticed but I want them matching.

Part of is jealous that these screens are so inexpensive now. But at the same time my dell 2713 has been so great it was worth the price I paid for it so I kind of don't even give a crap. The more people get to experience the joys of higher resolution (even if it's not 4k) the better.

I have a 10% Ebay Bucks Coupon, so 179, throw in $18 in Ebay bucks, and 1% Cashback, for $160 basically.

Check your e-mail to see if you have the same Ebay Bucks offer, you have to activate it in your account.

Damn good price. Ugly ass monitor though lol.

If you debezel them albeit a pain in the ass they are very very thin bezels at least on my achieva shimians.

Is there any significant difference between the TopSync, Potalion, and Achieva models? They all seem the same to me, all $179 + CA TX.

Also, is the refurbished Yamakasi Catleap 27" IPS a better deal at $209 + CA TX, or basically the same thing?

Catleap

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got me Shimian. The screen looks pretty good. I can't see any dead/stuck pixels. The case is more or less clean, just a few scuff marks on the stand. The only thing that bugs me is that it smells a bit like cigarette smoke. I have it next to my open window so hopefully it airs out a bit.

Just got me Shimian. The screen looks pretty good. I can't see any dead/stuck pixels. The case is more or less clean, just a few scuff marks on the stand. The only thing that bugs me is that it smells a bit like cigarette smoke. I have it next to my open window so hopefully it airs out a bit.

I had the same problem with my potalions I ordered, had a very distinct tobacco smell when you were close to the monitors, but it seems all good now.

Is there any significant difference between the TopSync, Potalion, and Achieva models? They all seem the same to me, all $179 + CA TX.

Also, is the refurbished Yamakasi Catleap 27" IPS a better deal at $209 + CA TX, or basically the same thing?

Catleap

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 2703 can be overclocked, that being said its a nice piece of kit and if refresh rate isn't an issue you will love it. If refresh rate is a thing you can find a QNIX 270 for sixty dollars more (USD).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got my Topsync. Took less than a week to deliver.

There are a few light scuff marks on the bezel and the stand, but the screen itself is pristine. There was however a screw lose inside the monitor. I could hear it rattle upon taking the panel out of the box. Took it apart before turning it on. Very easy. Screw came right out. Didn't care to investigate deeper (more screws to take out) where the it came out of. Probably one of many holding power supply or video board. Put the thing back together, powered up, and it's running like a charm.... One drawback: the stand is not the sturdiest thing I've seen, and has no height adjustment.

I feel that for $180 it was an upgrade over my HP ZR24w. Definitely not in terms of build quality, but the sheer size and clarity of the display.

Did some War Thunder gaming at full res, and the thing looks beautiful... Me likey....:cool:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the 2703 can be overclocked, that being said its a nice piece of kit and if refresh rate isn't an issue you will love it. If refresh rate is a thing you can find a QNIX 270 for sixty dollars more (USD).
Not sure if refresh rate is an issue...hard to say without comparing them in person I suppose. Overclocking a monitor is a rather new concept to me. Going to have to read up on that.

Thanks for the tip on the Samsung QNIX for not much more. It's actually only $40-$45 more for me, since all of the others are taxed. But then glossy or matte? Hard decisions that you can't reconsider after purchase. :p

Either way would be a step up from my Dell 24" monitors.

These all would attach to Ergotron arms, right? They are normal monitors?

Not sure if refresh rate is an issue...hard to say without comparing them in person I suppose. Overclocking a monitor is a rather new concept to me. Going to have to read up on that.

Thanks for the tip on the Samsung QNIX for not much more. It's actually only $40-$45 more for me, since all of the others are taxed. But then glossy or matte? Hard decisions that you can't reconsider after purchase. :p

Either way would be a step up from my Dell 24" monitors.

These all would attach to Ergotron arms, right? They are normal monitors?

They do have the VESA mounting holes but the stand piece that attaches to the monitor (for the shitty stand that it comes with) requires some work to remove (not required to mount to a monitor arm)

That being said I would go with a MX for this display. EDIT - An LX should work if you tension it up as I know a few people doing that)

So overclocking in a nutshell is making the monitor display more frames than it normally would. Most monitors are capped at 60hz or 75hz refresh rate meaning they can only display 60fps or 75fps and anything beyond that doesn't show on the screen (yes yes it adds a buffer for frame drops so you don't see it but we're talking actual on screen). When you overclock you can make the monitor display 90-120fps at once meaning you can have a 1440p IPS 120hz (though with the QNIX expect more like 110hz) display for under $300.

If you're looking at the QNIX make sure you read up on the Evolution ll (As well as Evolution II SE) and overclocking so you get an idea on what you're getting into. However if you aren't a gamer and are purchasing this for productivity don't bother with overclocking and don't bother with the QNIX and go with the potato or lux.

Last edited:
They do have the VESA mounting holes but the stand piece that attaches to the monitor (for the shitty stand that it comes with) requires some work to remove (not required to mount to a monitor arm).
So it won't be a huge hassle to attach it to the Ergotron? I thought it used a VESA mount, but may be wrong.

That being said I would go with a MX for this display. EDIT - An LX should work if you tension it up as I know a few people doing that).

I think the MX will work, but will have to measure this weekend. The LX gives a lot more option for positioning, but if the MX will be okay for me, I'll play it safe.

So overclocking in a nutshell is ...
Thanks for that.

However if you aren't a gamer and are purchasing this for productivity don't bother with overclocking and don't bother with the QNIX and go with the potato or lux.

I need one for me where gaming isn't all that important, but video editing is, so am guessing I wouldn't even notice anything beyond 60Hz (30fps is typical max). Visual clarity and color is the same between the QNIX and others though?

And I need another that will be mainly used for gaming.

Sounds like maybe one potato/lux and one QNIX, although I need to read up on overclocking the Evolutions as I don't want to be asked to fiddle with it a lot.

Oh, Potalion is the potato, but which is the lux.. Top Sync or Achieva? (EDIT: Nevermind, just figured out one of the TopSyncs is the "TopSync Luxury" -- another is called "Orion TopSync".)

Thanks for all the advice!

So it won't be a huge hassle to attach it to the Ergotron? I thought it used a VESA mount, but may be wrong.

I think the MX will work, but will have to measure this weekend. The LX gives a lot more option for positioning, but if the MX will be okay for me, I'll play it safe.

Thanks for that.

I need one for me where gaming isn't all that important, but video editing is, so am guessing I wouldn't even notice anything beyond 60Hz (30fps is typical max). Visual clarity and color is the same between the QNIX and others though?

And I need another that will be mainly used for gaming.

Sounds like maybe one potato/lux and one QNIX, although I need to read up on overclocking the Evolutions as I don't want to be asked to fiddle with it a lot.

Oh, Potalion is the potato, but which is the lux.. Top Sync or Achieva? (EDIT: Nevermind, just figured out one of the TopSyncs is the "TopSync Luxury" -- another is called "Orion TopSync".)

Thanks for all the advice!

There is a VESA mount in the back of all of the monitors, so if you've put a monitor on a arm before you'll have no issue with this one. You're looking at around 15lbs per monitor (its more like 12lbs a piece) so a LX can hold them if you tension them up without issue.

I honestly would recommend you start with just one for now, these deals aren't a "limited time" thing as you can spot them once every few months. You also are going to need to get the hang of basically a total lack of monitor adjustments and all adjustments will be done through your graphics card. It isn't a huge thing but many people are thrown through a loop when they see that.

Grab a refurb that tickles your fancy and play with it for a few weeks and see how it works for you before jumping in and getting others, at worst you can use it as a spare or flip it to someone locally.

I honestly would recommend you start with just one for now, these deals aren't a "limited time" thing as you can spot them once every few months. You also are going to need to get the hang of basically a total lack of monitor adjustments and all adjustments will be done through your graphics card. It isn't a huge thing but many people are thrown through a loop when they see that.

Grab a refurb that tickles your fancy and play with it for a few weeks and see how it works for you before jumping in and getting others, at worst you can use it as a spare or flip it to someone locally.

The gaming one is for someone else, but good point. Neither of us is in any hurry, so I'll order a Potato and see how it goes...if it is good enough for the gaming one, then I'll just order another for myself, if not, I'll keep it and order a QNIX for the gamer girl.

Too bad it seems every seller of these is in Cali, but even with tax, it's a shade under $200.

The gaming one is for someone else, but good point. Neither of us is in any hurry, so I'll order a Potato and see how it goes...if it is good enough for the gaming one, then I'll just order another for myself, if not, I'll keep it and order a QNIX for the gamer girl.

Too bad it seems every seller of these is in Cali, but even with tax, it's a shade under $200.

You also need to take into account what type of games you/her are going to be playing. Overclocking isn't needed for some types of games and these panels (QNIX) do frameskip when overclocked, so in certain games (twitch shooters/precise fighting games) it isn't optimal if you're looking for the best performance. That being said if you were looking for the best performance you wouldn't be looking at a ~300$ monitor.

I think you'll enjoy the potato and you can always slide it over and try gaming on it and see if its any better than your current setup...plus you know you'll be getting it just in time for GTA5 PCs release...

You also need to take into account what type of games you/her are going to be playing. Overclocking isn't needed for some types of games and these panels (QNIX) do frameskip when overclocked, so in certain games (twitch shooters/precise fighting games) it isn't optimal if you're looking for the best performance. That being said if you were looking for the best performance you wouldn't be looking at a ~300$ monitor.

I think you'll enjoy the potato and you can always slide it over and try gaming on it and see if its any better than your current setup...plus you know you'll be getting it just in time for GTA5 PCs release...

My Qnix doesn't frameskip.. You really have to get the single-input models, which are capable of overclocking without frameskipping.

I just picked up an evolution II SE hope it turns out okay and overclocks well.

My Qnix doesn't frameskip.. You really have to get the single-input models, which are capable of overclocking without frameskipping.

Not that I doubt you but what model (and year) do you have and what utility are you using (I assume BB tools) to test that?

Just curious as I'm about ready to pickup a new QNIX myself and so far it seems like most of the newer panels they are using do have some frameskip but it also depends on other factors.

Fired up my Evo II SE (dvi-d only) running 120hz with some random artifacts with the supplied cable. No frame skips and thought I had 1 dead pixel in the left corner but it was dust!:D

Currently running 96 or 100hz without any problems. I'm so tempted to get another one!

I really want to get a 120hz monitor, but with gsync / freesync monitors around the corner, would it be better to wait?

I feel any high refresh rate monitor will still be relevant whenever gsync/freesync options are readily available (as long as your rig can push the frames). It'll be great for general use as well as gaming.

Back