Korean 1440p IPS monitors - $200 or less [REFURBS]

Strange, I purchased my two potalions on Sunday, and they arrived on wednesday. And I must say, the seller makes sure that the monitor is well packaged and protected from any potential damage during shipping.

And for all others: Be forewarned, these monitors do not have adjustment options built into the display, only power on/off, and brightness +/-. So you'll have to use some sort of software if you wish to adjust anything else.

I'm on the east coast (VA), so its not totally unexpected, I was hoping to have it before the weekend. The shipper's tracking site blows chunks, though. I went with this deal because of the previous ambiguity about import duty fees that may or may not be charged, and that it was $50 less. If the monitor is decent, I'd still buy it for $279. I'm not terribly picky about panels, I use <$100 1080p monitors anyways (yeah, even for gaming).

How is that 6ms refresh rate for gaming? I'm concerned because my current 1080 monitor is half that.

I'm seriously considering 2 more Acheiva Shimians to compliment my 1 now, and then try out some eyefinity action.

How is that 6ms refresh rate for gaming? I'm concerned because my current 1080 monitor is half that.

I use this monitor for CSGO, and have had monitors in the past with lower rated response times, and to be completely honest, I don't even notice the difference.

of the 2 refurbs is there a difference or just badging?

Fairly sure the refurbs are all the same panel, just different badging and a different case/bezel around the screen. When I open up the resolution changer in windows, it says TOPSYNC even though my monitors are of the Potalion brand.

Tempting. Very tempting. For no reason other than I walk by 27" Apple's at work all day now and they are beautiful. Sadly this will probably destroy my GTX460 any time I game...

So $179 will become $179 + video card.

I paid $269 for my X-Star new, does 96HZ and only has 1 dead pixel. I don't really see how this is all that great of a deal.

I paid $269 for my X-Star new, does 96HZ and only has 1 dead pixel. I don't really see how this is all that great of a deal.

If you don't see how 179 and 199 is a deal compared to 269 not really sure what to tell you...:confused:

Tempting. Very tempting. For no reason other than I walk by 27" Apple's at work all day now and they are beautiful. Sadly this will probably destroy my GTX460 any time I game...

So $179 will become $179 + video card.

assuming you already game at 1080p I don't see why you couldn't just leave games at 1080p while desktop is 1440p.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have had a Yamakasi since the huge up rise about them like 2 years ago.

It still works amazing. No problems at all. Just minor light bleed.

it's pretty bad compared to my 2 ms vg236. if you play something like quake where you can make the textures a single color and enemies don't look like the environment, it's perfectly fine, but in games with lots of details you really have to concentrate to see things during motion because of the ghosting.

Never had a ghosting problem with my 3 year old shimian. Might buy another one right now ;)

I would rather pay the extra money and get this monitor from micro center because of the easier return policy than trying to ship the eBay monitor back to Korea or China.

it's pretty bad compared to my 2 ms vg236. if you play something like quake where you can make the textures a single color and enemies don't look like the environment, it's perfectly fine, but in games with lots of details you really have to concentrate to see things during motion because of the ghosting.

This is really just nonsense. The rated response time means little to nothing. In the real world you wouldnt notice the difference between 2MS and 6MS. The problem is when actual response times are much higher than the rated times and with these monitors that is not the case.

I have had a Yamakasi since the huge up rise about them like 2 years ago.

It still works amazing. No problems at all. Just minor light bleed.

I've got three Yamakasi and two CrossOvers from when these first became popular. They're all still running with ZERO problems. I got lucky on all mine too with zero dead pixels :cool: but I also bought all mine before they started selling the zero dead pixel monitors for a premium.

I have a QX2710. Love this thing i'll watch this too and hope the prices come back down, might splurge on a couple more korean monitors.

Thx op

Hmm. I jumped on this because it would make an amazing birthday present for family member that still plays Borderlands on their 1080p computer screen. When I log into ebay for the details, I get: Sorry, you are neither the buyer nor the seller for this transaction. Only the buyer or the seller can access this page. Time to investigate.

NVM, grabbed the tracking id from their email and looked it up on DHL. Surprisingly, it's already in DFW. I'm like 10 minutes away, but it will probably take another day or two to reach me. lol

Mine got delivered this morning. I'll see how the Wasabi looks when I get home tonight. Aside from the Tracking Number only updating every 2 days, it was delivered on-time (albeit at the maximum estimate, 7 days-- check that, 5 business days, they promise 7 business days) as advertized by the seller.

Last edited:
New Wasabi Mango's down from $279 to $259 shipped

New Crossover 27QW for $259 shipped. It has some screen coating, they call it Plasma deposition coating (described here). Supposedly somewhere between glossy and matte.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
After unboxing my Wasabi Mango, I'll say that I'm about 90% impressed with the purchase.

Pro's:
Nice display, the "wow" factor is definitely there. Heads and tails improvement over my el-cheapo TN 24" 1080p panels
Gaming, the difference is simply amazing. Should have purchased these months ago. Having them for an hour, I want another one to make my desk space and virtual desktops symmetric
Multiple inputs. 2x HDMI, 1x DVI-D, VGA. I'm using dual-link DVI, so I cannot comment on HDMI usage.
Panel is not glossy, but doesn't have that matte/rough finish. Its difficult for me to describe, not being an aficionado on display jargon. I personally love it. (This seems to be accurately described with SJetski71's links above)
Power LED is on the front of the bezel, but it is very subdued. Its not "In Your Face, I'm in the ON POSITION" bright. Very nice.

Con's:
Significant backlight bleed across the lower-left portion of the screen. I'll be attempting a fix for this in the near future.
Left/Right bezel is 1" wide.

Minor gripes: (IMO: this is to be expected with a cut-rate panel)
No OSD controls to correct the picture. My Nvidia control panel is fubar'd so I cant fully center the display. This is my system's issue. OSD does have some functionality, with a few basic color temperature settings, nothing fancy.
Very cheap stand. Again, what do you expect with a pricepoint this low. There appear to be VESA mounting holes on the back, I don't know the dimensions, but they're symmetric.
External power brick; Not that big a deal, but I will have to mount it on my desk's apron; the cord from the brick to the panel is too short when I do get a better mount.

Knowing what I know now, I would DEFINITELY pay $250 again for this product. If I want perfection, I'd be looking at something else.

Went with the POTALION 2710QWG like Mezner. Just got in on the 179.00 price before he jacked it up. Should be here on Friday. Ready to test out some far cry 4 on it :)

@ Mezner, How long is the DVI-D cable they send with the monitor? Is it a Quality cable, does that make a diference on picture quality? thanks

Went with the POTALION 2710QWG like Mezner. Just got in on the 179.00 price before he jacked it up. Should be here on Friday. Ready to test out some far cry 4 on it :)

@ Mezner, How long is the DVI-D cable they send with the monitor? Is it a Quality cable, does that make a diference on picture quality? thanks

The DVI-D cable that comes with the monitor is a 3 footer. It looks to be of decent quality, but i'm using some BlueRigger DVI-D cables I had laying around.

This is really just nonsense. The rated response time means little to nothing. In the real world you wouldnt notice the difference between 2MS and 6MS. The problem is when actual response times are much higher than the rated times and with these monitors that is not the case.

this is the real world, and i do notice the difference. it's massive. i'm sorry your eyes and/or brain don't work.

So you make a claim thats physically impossible then attempt to insult me in the process? You are claiming your eyes can tell a 4ms difference but its my brain that isnt working? Stop reading the marketing numbers they dont mean shit.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...1440p-IPS-Display-Under-350/Input-Lag-Testing

But keep talking.

response time =/= input lag. my original post didn't even have anything that could be remotely interpreted as talking about input lag so i dunno how you got that.

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

an ips panel will be even worse.

Last edited:
lol you don't even know the difference between response time and input lag and you're trying to argue with me. hahahahaha. my original post didn't even have anything that could be remotely interpreted as talking about input lag.

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

And again keep eating those marketing numbers.

And your link is a comparison of refresh rates and how they effect ghosting. It has literally NOTHING to do with the response time.

Either way keep on with the bullshit. You own a very similar Qnix are you saying you see ghosting on that?

I have two Qnix 27" 1440p monitors I got about a year ago off ebay for 300 ea.

both overclock easily to 90Hz (I'm happy with that)

the matte on the X-star / QNISX is my favorite coating ever, it's not all grainy like regular matte, but it does not have glare either. It's perfect. My x-star OC to 96htz. All it needed was a better stand to make me happy.

So none have overclocked their topsync 2710? Does anyone actually own one? Haven't been able to find a review anywhere.

Back