Koolance HX-362 Rad, any good?

Its a great Rad. I upgraded my pump, water blocks and added this single 120mm rad. It has made a big diffrence to my water temps.

DSC01167.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

Design wise, it's very similar to most consumer radiators - except it uses aluminum, which has plenty of problems by itself, but it's also not as good of a conductor of heat as copper. And if you're looking for a form factor as close to a 120mm fan as possible, the Koolance is a grand total of 0.8cm taller and 0.2cm wider than a Black Ice Pro or Black Ice GT Stealth 120.1 radiator, while Swiftech's MCR120 is 0.1cm taller and actually 0.3cm less wide. Lenght x width, most 120.1 radiators (except single pass) are just about the same size.

Thickness, however, is where you'll see very different numbers. The Koolance is 5.8cm thick, or more than twice as thick as a standard 120mm fan (58mm vs. 25mm). Black Ice Pros are 25mm thick, GT Stealths are 30mm, and Swiftech's are 34mm thick, so if thickness matters, the Koolance is around twice as thick as competitors. However, more thickness means more radiator volume, which means more cooling capacity as long as your fans can keep up with the extra restriction.

With it's huge 58mm thickness, Koolance's HX-362 might be comparable performance wise to competing (thinner) copper radiators. However, you're most likely going to need a higher CFM fan, which will be louder, in order to get the same airflow. Unless you already have a loop with aluminum (and corrosion inhibitor, I hope), I'd recommend sticking with an MCR120 if it'll fit, or a BIP120 if you need something thin that will still cool decently.

Back