Koolance COV-RP400 Pump and Res Combination ?

CustomModAddict

Limp Gawd
I found this Koolance Pump and Res combination kit. And I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. It looks like it will really save me some piping work and also allow for more room.

Also, on that note, I see some people putting 2 or even three DDC pumps in one loop, any comments or experience on that?

Thanks,

Edit: Better yet how about this Koolance Noozle Res Base for PMP-450

I can't say much about the two products in question.

http://skinneelabs.com/koolance_cov-pmp450a.html - Here is a review of the 450...

Generally, one would use an aftermarket pump top (which may include an attached reservoir, or not) to enhance the performance of Laing pumps.

In this case, the pmp-400 is a Laing DDC 3.25 (highest output in the DDC series). The 450 is a Laing D5. I'd say the two most popular Laing pump-top manufacturers are EK and XSPC.

As for running multiple DDCs in series: It'll provide significantly more head-pressure and added redundancy in case of pump failure, but it'll also put more stress on the pumps in operation, and dump a ton of heat into the loop.

I don't think 3 pumps can be justified for this reason. It's just excess noise and heat... except maybe in this guy's case (pun intended): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4549098&postcount=20 - just ridiculous! But beautiful. I'd at least put those pumps on voltage control.

Some threads revealing flow-rate, heat-dump, and noise measurements of different setups:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258969 - subjective noise, flow
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=257721 - skinnee's pump thread

Just to clarify, that Skinneelabs review is COV-PMP450A, which is the older model. COV-RP450 is the current nozzle base with some internal improvements and allows for direct attachment of reservoirs.

Tim

Just to clarify, that Skinneelabs review is COV-PMP450A, which is the older model. COV-RP450 is the current nozzle base with some internal improvements and allows for direct attachment of reservoirs.

Tim

Tim, are you a manufacturers rep? Am I assuming correctly that the pump attaches to the bottom of the res, and then the only piping or tubing is to the pump. So ultimately you are cutting out 2 extra tubes, and 4 joints? Why isn't everyone using this set-up? Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I am still browsing the Koolance web site, they seem to have some pretty cool stuff.

As for running multiple DDCs in series: It'll provide significantly more head-pressure and added redundancy in case of pump failure, but it'll also put more stress on the pumps in operation, and dump a ton of heat into the loop.

I don't think 3 pumps can be justified for this reason. It's just excess noise and heat... except maybe in this guy's case (pun intended): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4549098&postcount=20 - just ridiculous! But beautiful. I'd at least put those pumps on voltage control.

Now that system is bad azz, thats how I would do it. Then again thats why I use to be an extremesystems forum junkie. Just ran out of time for it.

But awesome link, thanks.

And since this build is for my son who lives a 1000 miles away redundancy would be nice, just like an insurance policy. But then I wouldn be able to put the res on top of the pump. Would defeat the purpose of the Koolance Res and pump combo...

Hmmm... decisions decisions decisions....

Tim, are you a manufacturers rep? Am I assuming correctly that the pump attaches to the bottom of the res, and then the only piping or tubing is to the pump. So ultimately you are cutting out 2 extra tubes, and 4 joints? Why isn't everyone using this set-up? Is there anything I should be concerned about?

I am still browsing the Koolance web site, they seem to have some pretty cool stuff.

Yes, I work for Koolance. All of your assumptions are correct. I think some might be hesitant to do this because it increases height of the reservoir, and they might want to select a nozzle base and reservoir from two different manufacturers (which probably won't work together). Otherwise, it cleans things up and can make it easier to mount components because you're only dealing with the nozzle base instead of a separate pump and tank. Our COV-RP450 includes a heavy bracket that fits 120mm grills on the chassis or the radiator.

And since this build is for my son who lives a 1000 miles away redundancy would be nice, just like an insurance policy. But then I wouldn be able to put the res on top of the pump. Would defeat the purpose of the Koolance Res and pump combo...

You can add redundant pumps and reservoirs with this nozzle base. You can connect two D-5's with our nozzle base together with either standard nozzles+hose or all metal fittings. If you wanted two pumps, it won't dump that much heat into the loop (power consumption is 23W/ea @ 12V). It's not the most silent option, though.

Tim

Tim

Oh, sorry about that. It was late and I was careless... didn't even notice.

I love the Koolance quick-disconnect fittings :) They're the best available, IMO. - I hope the "CPU-370" is less restrictive though...

Redundancy: I think 2 pumps will be optimal. Voltage control is available to tame the pumps, but if using manual control (rheobus extreme, lamptron fc5v2), then care must be taken to stay above starting voltage. There are a number of options for auto-control, but I have no direct experience with them.

All are great options and ideas, as soon as I finish this build for my son, and begin my new build to replace my quickly outdated X2, I will have these crazy things to look at and play with. I just might have to play around with extreme system stuff again. Years ago I built an evaporative cooler for my water loop, think I might just have to build another one :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look into the second pump option. My only concern is if the pump fails and my son living in southern georgia, it wont be easy to find a replacement and have someone install it. So maybe the 2nd pump insurance card might be worth looking at.

Koolance has some really nice products, I will be looking at them a lot closer for sure.

The D-5 is a very reliable pump, more so than the DDC. If you're in critical need of a backup, I would keep a new D-5 on hand rather than running it in tandem. Temp sensors on our controllers or via BIOS, or a flow meter are already good safety features to shutdown the system if the pump dies unattended.

If downtime's an issue while swapping the pump, put quick disconnects to and from the reservoir/pump and keep a fully assembled backup reservoir/pump on hand :).

Tim

are you using the koolance top and reservoir? if yes how do you have it mounted to your case?
thx

I have the all in one 5.25 bay setup, with pump and res. Have a 700d case that im about to use the res and pump setup for. Selling my Lian Li case with built in koolance setup to build the new setup. Plan on putting the res in the space between the MB and drive bays.

I did purchase the Koolance PMP 450, Koolance COV-RP450 with a 60mm ODx80mm Res. Man what an awesome product it was so easy to install, reduce tubing clutter, made it ever so easy to fill the system and looks simply amazing. Feel free to check out my project log here

Started designing my next build, which I plan to start in a few weeks, and I have the build using two PMP-450 and COV 450's inline with two 60mm OD x 120mm res's. I can't wait.

is there a way to install those exact same products into a Corsair 800D case?
thx
can it be installed into case horizontally once water loop is setup and sealed?

Last edited:
Well I would think you could install it horizontal if you attach a tube and fill port to the top of the res like I did. But with an 800D case why would you? Just get a nice long 200mm res for it, and you can mount it vertically and either mount it right to the top of the case so you can fill it through the top of the case, or just get a danger den fill port and an extra barb fitting and connect a tube to the top. Let me know if you need any more help with it. And PS Koolance is real awesome about answering emails or questions, just go to there website and drop an email with your questions if you need to. Best of luck with it

Back