Konami announces PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 Mini

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Credit to SOAREVERSOR. Konami today announce the upcoming release of a classic mini console version of the PC-Engine, known as the TurboGrafx-16 in the United States. An official announcement and reveal will be made at E3 later today. The full lineup of games and release date will be revealed in the future.

https://www.konami.com/games/eu/en/topics/15123/

upload_2019-6-12_10-8-36.png

Konami Digital Entertainment, B.V. today announced PC Engine Core Grafx mini, a compact version of the classic 1980’s console. The console will feature a range of classic retro games with part of the line-up announced today at the 2019 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles.

Now even smaller compared to the original, the console will fit in the palm of your hand and feature a full-sized controller.

The announced catalogue of titles pre-loaded on the PC Engine Core Grafx mini include:

• R-TYPE
  • NEW ADVENTURE ISLAND
  • NINJA SPIRIT
  • Ys BOOK I & II
  • DUNGEON EXPLORER
  • ALIEN CRUSH
  • With more to be announced soon…
PC Engine Core Grafx mini will be released in select European countries. Two additional variants will be released in North America and Japan, named TurboGrafx-16 mini and PC Engine mini respectively.

More details including full game line-up, pricing and availablility will be announced at a later date.

The original consoles were well-known for introducing several historical firsts, including the first console with a CD-ROM add-on and the first console to offer multi-tap support for up to five players. More than that however, the consoles became a collector’s favourite thanks to their quality game line-up; many of which will be included in this re-release.

EDIT: Wanted to give a shout out to Damar, as well. Apparently he posted this at 8:00 this morning in the Console section, but I missed it.

Last edited:
i figured ps classic would ruin these, but the ps didn't age very well. I'll be in for this if it's under 60 bucks.

I unfortunately bought one of these (and an atari lynx as well lol). And this thing was like...generic, had some similar games to ones you'd find on sega/nintendo, only more generic. Thats basically what I remember most. Bonks adventure was alright, and dungeon explorer was okay. But the console only had one controller port and if you wanted multi-player you had to buy this 4 port adapter dongle/breakout box, that just added more to the cost.

I really enjoyed Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for the PC-Engine CD.
They need to stop with these little emulator boxes. NES Classic and SNES Classic were okay I guess (especially since they were so easy to mod and add games to, which I did for a lot of people), but now I feel like this is getting ridiculous. Anyone really interested in emulating classic consoles will be using a PC, and if you wanna do it with a tiny portable box, a Raspberry Pi or something like that has got you covered. A lot of us old-timey gamers still prefer to use the original systems too. However I don't feel like all these other new tiny emulator boxes will fuck up as badly as PS Classic did. I don't mind the Genesis/Mega Drive one. Hopefully that one will be easy to mod too. I would be curious to see how well this TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine one sells. Most of these things sell for too much though, and I'm not even talking about the ridiculous launch price of the PS Classic (which I now regularly see for like 20 bucks).

At this point I'm just interested in specs on these classic consoles. You can play every game on any system with one or the other with Retroarch. Heck my PS classic plays anything from 80's arcade games to Sega Saturn.

I do like the look of it though. Very retro but new. I never had a Turbo Graphx 16 growing up, but my down the street neighbor did, I used to play it at his house. Bonks Adventures was played a lot, along with a fighting game I can't remember, may have had ninja's...

There were a lot more highly rated games for this console in Japan vs the USA. So if they could bring some of these to the mini version it would be great. Dracula X, Ys IV, Sapphire, etc.

3DO, Phillips and Microsoft aren't. What a stupid question to ask.

We are going to laugh at you when a classic 3DO console comes out... The original Xbox isn't old enough yet. The Phillips CDi had a Mario game and 3 Zelda games.. I bet people would want it just for those, as those games aren't available anywhere else (except possibly emulators), but they also weren't written/created by Nintendo so they might not be as good.

Phillips CDi classic. Now you can relive your childhood trauma.
Yeah there's a reason why 3DO and Phillips mini nostalgiaconsoles aren't being made, and I think it's pretty obvious why Microsoft isn't making one.

What's with all the 3DO hate? I thoroughly enjoyed my Goldstar 3DO. It had some great games. Wing Commander III, Killing Time, Gex, Lucienne's Quest to name a few.

Indeed, check out the Burning Soldier 3do game review above.
"Indra's weak point is its center". My weakpoint is my constant craving for bacon!!!

We are going to laugh at you when a classic 3DO console comes out... The original Xbox isn't old enough yet. The Phillips CDi had a Mario game and 3 Zelda games.. I bet people would want it just for those, as those games aren't available anywhere else (except possibly emulators), but they also weren't written/created by Nintendo so they might not be as good.
The CDi Zelda games are renowned as being awful.

At one point I had a room mate that had nearly every console of this generation. To me the 3DO stood out admirably. I was surprised that it didn't have the marketing other companies like Nintendo, Sega, Sony, were giving at the time since visually I thought the games looked awesome.

At one point I had a room mate that had nearly every console of this generation. To me the 3DO stood out admirably. I was surprised that it didn't have the marketing other companies like Nintendo, Sega, Sony, were giving at the time since visually I thought the games looked awesome.

I was also one of those guys that had them all.. but never was interested in the Nintendo 64. Yeah bought both the NeoGeo Gold and Turbo Duo at Babages at the mall on the same day! Thet was an awesome day.. went to the bank and pulled put my last $1400 and walked in and bought it up and walked out of their a nervous reck carrying 2 huge bags.

Yeah I owned an original one bought from bestbuy back when.. the 2nd release of the system.. slimmer model.

Cant remember now but wasnt it like a $500 system back when or more?

Yup wing commander and test drive were my top 2 games for it but their were many more!

Bought it up again years later with the larger original system and all the old classics again.

I'll most likely be all over this one if its moldable to run other games.

Checking prices of the original and the turbo duo today is insane! 1000-2000+ :/ I should of kept mine longer lol

Phillips CDi classic. Now you can relive your childhood trauma.

I remember those things. We had one in my Radio Shack for like $700 or some crazy amount. Never sold a single one. It had a golf game that looked good for the time (1992 ish) on a potato CRT TV. But any PC or console golf game from the last 20 years would be better than that thing.

As someone who owned the Turbografx16 system, it's worth pointing out: It sucked. Nostalgia isn't always good, it's just nostalgia. I don't really want to fire up my old Amiga either for similar reasons, yeah it was *amazing* in its time....but playing games at 20fps (maybe Psygnosis games ran at 30, maybe) on average just isn't going to cut it today.

I get it, they own the IP, if its cheap to produce...why not try to make a buck....but in the end there's a point where you go "oh yeah, this is just another cash grab". Are they making those little Coleco mini-arcade LED-based games again yet? The ones that were, literally, just cool to have up on your shelf. Yes...I have my pac man up on my shelf....#glasshouse.

As someone who owned the Turbografx16 system, it's worth pointing out: It sucked. Nostalgia isn't always good, it's just nostalgia. I don't really want to fire up my old Amiga either for similar reasons, yeah it was *amazing* in its time....but playing games at 20fps (maybe Psygnosis games ran at 30, maybe) on average just isn't going to cut it today.

I get it, they own the IP, if its cheap to produce...why not try to make a buck....but in the end there's a point where you go "oh yeah, this is just another cash grab". Are they making those little Coleco mini-arcade LED-based games again yet? The ones that were, literally, just cool to have up on your shelf. Yes...I have my pac man up on my shelf....#glasshouse.
I agree that the North American game library was not impressive. What could make this product much better would be getting some of the blockbusters from Japan like Dracula X, Ys IV, Sapphire, Parodius, etc. The PC Engine was much more competitive over there due to the much better games library.

It really depends on the game. Yeah Star Fox on the snes mini has a chugging framerate, the game is still playable and fun. Likewise to a lot of the games on that system, it’s not always just nostalgia.

Hell I’m at the moment playing Final Fantasy Adventure, a Gameboy game from 1991. It’s missing some quality of life improvements here and there but it’s enjoyable. And for me it isn’t nostalgia, I didn’t grow up with the game.

Last edited:
It really depends on the game. Yeah Star Fox on the snes mini has a chugging framerate, the game is still playable and fun. Likewise to a lot of the games on that system, it’s not always just nostalgia.

Hell I’m at the moment playing Final Fantasy Adventure, a Gameboy game from 1991. It’s missing some quality of life improvements here and there but it’s enjoyable. And for me it isn’t nostalgia, I didn’t grow up with the game.

You should try the PS Vita version. It's faithful in almost every way to the Gameboy version, but with superior graphics and a better controller.

I'm just saying when I see a miniature Vic20....I'm not buying it. Mini TRS-80...not buying. Mini Ballys Astrocade........ok that I'm going to buy if its got that vintage early 70's GUNFIGHT action but otherwise, not buying it......the TurboGrafx just didn't have that ouutstanding selection of games in the US, and once you owned one you realized it was basically a Nintendo/Sega Master System. Honestly I'd buy the Sega Master System Mini, that had quite a few oddball and fun games...more, I'd suggest, than the US release of the Turbografx 16.

Hey, we buy what we like, just saying this one.....well if the PS1 mini didn't fly off the shelves, I'm not holding out a lot of hope on this. Other than "looks cute on the shelf", not sure how much screen time this one will realistically get you.

Back