Kojima upset with Metal Gear Solid 4 and the PS3

Speculating about anything Kojima says about a game or shows of a game before release is a waste. He is known for only showing a small fraction of a game, usually just the basic new mechanics, until just before release and closely guarding many things to leave for players and reviewers to discover.

This game is going to contain way more than what has been shown and will be much different than anyone is expecting or speculating. You can count on it.

Yeah its like i remember seeing that trailer where raiden was in some helicopter and snake was holding em' , that was like he showed too much but it could be directed for that scene to be in the beginning lol.

Overall out of apperciation those who have played all of the mgs games should pick this game up it'll be worth it , and have great replay value especially if an camera is implemented like that one vid i've seen on gametrailers where some gamer was taking funny photos of things he was doing in mgs3. There can be unlimited fun on what everyone could do during the replay of mgs4 check the video out, the video just shows an example in MGS3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/175746.html

I think he wants to make money tho..

I guess my attempt at mocking the blind fanboyism was not as good as I thought ;)

As I said before if the PS3 was such a pile of crap, why is it an exclusive? I'm sure Kojima wouldn't have been truly satisfied with any of the current platforms to fulfil his vision.

I hope kojima doesnt re-open the mgs story though like after MGS4 like having a spin-off mini franchise of 2 games using newer characters. It would be interesting but i dont blame him for letting this Epic saga sleep forever.

Overall out of apperciation those who have played all of the mgs games should pick this game up it'll be worth it , and have great replay value especially if an camera is implemented like that one vid i've seen on gametrailers where some gamer was taking funny photos of things he was doing in mgs3. There can be unlimited fun on what everyone could do during the replay of mgs4 check the video out, the video just shows an example in MGS3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/175746.html

That is really incredible. The last one was particularly good.

Yea, the pc is definitely more powerful and even if the game you release doesn't perform too well at the top settings there is always going to be future hardware that will run it better.
it would be fun to play it on the pc :)

Well I think Kojima is just saying this so he can cover his own ass sort of. He has said he wasn't happy with the graphics on any of the MGS series. What his vision is... probably won't be invented for another 20 years.

But aside from that when he says he uses it to its full potential I would guess that he means he uses it to its full potential as of right now. As new game engines, and new code is written the developers will learn new tweaks and tricks to make the games look better and run better on consoles.

And what Kojima says isn't concrete, after MGS2 and 3 he said that he would no longer be overseeing the production of the Metal Gear series... Yet he still keeps comming back.

This game is going to contain way more than what has been shown and will be much different than anyone is expecting or speculating. You can count on it.

I was happy to hear the Middle East is only the beginning portion of the game.
Jungle ops FTW.

The article (or what the website showed) was very vague. Not enough power to progress? So they supposedly over estimated the PS3's capabilities, they took one step forward instead of ten, his vision wasn't entirely realized... Okay, so what is MGS4 missing? I haven't been following this game, much less do I have a PS3, but I'd still like to know what cannot be done to his satisfaction?

Is it kinda like how Fable was supposed to be the end-all be-all of RPGs and... it wasn't? It was missing like 70% of the features they promised. Still fun, none-the-less.

Meh, I think (I'm not exactly one that knows all about the systems or nothing though) that both the ps3 and 360 has reached it's limit or close to it. I don't think MGS4 looks bad. I just think it looks rehashed (gameplay wise) and after 3 games of it... I'm not looking forward that much to this game.

As for why its ps3 exclusive.... I always thought, Disc space. which is supposedly maxed out (and I don't doubt it, and probably with voice/sound).

No way in hell are they maxing out Either the Xbox360 or the PS3.

Hell just look how long it took to max out the ps2, I thought they maxed out with FFX when it came out but then God of war, Valkyrie profile, and Shadow of the colossus look WAY better.

I would imagine that at the end of life for the ps3 game will be similar looking to crysis.....or at least they should be.

Well, like I said I'm not the best one to really rely on for that stuff. But "this gen" seems so graphically oriented, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is maxed out with all the graphic stuff they've been making. I still haven't really seen anything better than Gears. (Not even crysis, graphically anyway, but then again most of the shots seemed to be missing AA)

Gears isnt very graphically impressive IMO. In terms of graphics uncharted takes the cake for me.. its way colorful and there are many different locales than the grey city you see in gears.

As for kojima saying its not what he visioned... im sure he just wanted the MGS series to end perfectly. He probably couldn't get everything looking the way he wanted to.

To me it sounds like a guy covering his ass. If it is the last in the series he's setting it up so if people are disappointed they'll be blaming Sony and not him. Yes, he's probably brilliant at his job but the problem is that lots of brilliant people work brilliantly in the theoretical world. It often takes even more brilliant people to turn those visions into something that can practically work. Sounds to me like the guy had a vision that is impossible given current hardware and should have known that a long time ago but had his vision clouding his judgement. He won't be the first, or last, to over-reach and end up having to cover his ass.

It isn't the graphics and art assets that are taking all of the space. Its the uncompressed audio.

Guys, seriously, Kojima is blowing smoke because he loves to see people get all worked up over his stuff.

In the end, yeah, he probably ins't completely satisfied with things. He even stated that he had the least amount of development time for MGS3 compared to the first two MGS games. and hey whaddya know its the best of the three.

The cell was actually suppose to be the all in one solution. It was suppose to be the CPU and Video card. Obviously that didn't work out so the PS3 got a Nvidia GPU. Some people, use the PS3 in a cluster/farm with linux to do graphics rendering and ray tracing with the cell. If the Sony could of actually used the cell as a CPU&GPU, the PS3 could possibly be a lot better. It would have saved the cost of the GPU and the memory wouldn't have been divided in 2. Maybe they could of even put more memory in with the savings of the GPU.

Umm...NO. The reason they added the GPU was because Cell isn't capable of rendering real time 3D visuals with all the modern accoutrements by itself. You also seem to not realize that ray tracing *is not* done in real time; depending on the complexity and resolution of the scene you're looking at render times of several minutes to several HOURS *per frame*. That would never, EVER fly in a game console, obviously enough. Cell has no support for shaders of any kind, it has fairly limited support for integer operations (one of the reasons Apple rejected the Cell as being inferior even to the G5), the SPU's can't access main memory, and the list goes on.

Bottom line for Cell--as was the case for the "Emotion Engine" and as is the case for 360's much touted Xenon--is that it was overrated, overhyped, and basically blown all into bullshit proportion as to capability. Cell was developed primarily to cope with encoding and decoding digital video, which is a far cry from "general purpose CPU".

PS3 and 360 *both* would have been far better off going with a multi-core Intel or AMD CPU.

PS3 and 360 *both* would have been far better off going with a multi-core Intel or AMD CPU.

Basically they want it to have unique parts so its a little harder to let you install an OS on the gaming system. They wanted to call their console their own.. not just a PC that also plays xbox/ps games.

Sounds like someone twisted Kojima's words in the other article to suit their fanboy needs ;)

ROFL

This has seriously turned into a Kojima bashing fest, and the more an enviroment is interactive the less graphic eye candy will be available.

Shooting at a wall and just leaving a black spot is not what I call interactive.

But then this is comming from a guy who thinks anyone using Juggernaught in CoD4 makes them a p*****!

Well the xbox 360's GPU is similar to a X1800XL and the PS 3 has a card similar to a 7800 GT. The article said he was mostly disappointed with the graphics. Sure it was amazing how powerful they were during that generation of gpus. Once the 8 series arrived that sort of put consoles to shame. I'd be really surprised if games looked a lot better then some we've already had. I'm sure they'll improve but not astronomically.

Well the xbox 360's GPU is similar to a X1800XL and the PS 3 has a card similar to a 7800 GT. The article said he was mostly disappointed with the graphics. Sure it was amazing how powerful they were during that generation of gpus. Once the 8 series arrived that sort of put consoles to shame. I'd be really surprised if games looked a lot better then some we've already had. I'm sure they'll improve but not astronomically.

This does not explain the fact that MGS4 looks pretty terrible even when compared to other PS3 games. Based on the shots that have been released so far...

Mac[X-D];1032385503 said:
ummm like cryiss?

shit it will be 3 gens of video hardware or more before that game can run smooth at max settings.

but i don't buy into the notion of releasing a product that doesn't work on current hardware, that 1,2 or more gens of hardware are needed untiil the full scale of a game can be seen. console or pc, by the time crysis can be played at max settings no one will ever care,

and consoles fall even more into this because they are not replaced or upgraded continuousy, so build your games for what you have PS3, 360 whatever not what you wish you had or thought you might have.
I can run Crysis on high at 1680x1050 on Vista 64 bit just fine with todays hardware.

This does not explain the fact that MGS4 looks pretty terrible even when compared to other PS3 games. Based on the shots that have been released so far...

If it looks anything like MGSO then its going to look pretty good.

Back