Kodi Now Avaiable for the Xbox One

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
I have good news for all of you Kodi fans that own an Xbox One. Kodi is now available worldwide on the Windows and Xbox Store. If you've been wanting to cut down on the number of devices connected to your TV this might be the app that does it for you. Try it out and let us know how it's working.

What you should really understand and keep remembering is that it is still in early stages of development and has very rough edges, might not be as stable as the regular version and may even be missing some functions. Due to the nature of how UWP works our hands are tied in some areas. Some parts are not even finished yet and our developers are still working on getting it up to the regular standard.

My dad gave me a Kodi box for my birthday...and I spent hours figuring out how to configure it...only to find that the shows I want to watch don't work more than half the time. And yeah, I use a VPN service. Of course, I probably need to update it with new plugins and then update again when the Powers That Be lock down another source of illegitimate content. I find the interface to be WAY too cumbersome to be used for legitimate streaming services, and it's too much of a hassle keeping it updated to grab the pirated stuff. I am JUST about done with the whole thing. It's far easier to just pay for the content I want to watch and use my TV to stream it. The ONLY use I want to explore is being able to watch live TV from other countries...but I don't want to spend days trying to configure it to do that. I think it's not going to be long before I just disconnect it for good and move on.

If this would have been a year ago would have probably gotten a Xbox one instead of a PS4 and Shield TV...

Kodi is awesome provided you use it for the purpose it was intended and forget the illegal addons.

I use it for everything, even have a TVheadend server set up with multiple DTV tuners and stream DTV over the network using the TVheadend addon under Kodi. Personally i find this to be great news and might give it a shot on my daughters xbox one S

For the DTV stuff, I got a Tablo and married it to the Roku(s). Pretty happy with it too. Just need a strong signal for the Tablo's tuner.

For my local network content, I setup a Plex server and married it to Roku(s) as well. Works pretty well.

For the DTV stuff, I got a Tablo and married it to the Roku. Pretty happy with it too. Just need a strong signal for the Tablo's tuner.

For my local network content, I setup a Plex server and married it to Roku as well. Works pretty well.

I set up a server running an i7 2600, 16GB of ram, a 60GB SSD for the OS and right now it's running around 8TB of media storage running Ubuntu server, TVheadend and a playTV tuner and all up it cost me $50.00 for the playTV tuner - The machine used as a server was left over from a job.

I then set up Kodi on my HTPC (which I've had for years), which is an i3 based unit with 2GB of ram, an Intel iGPU and 60GB SSD for the OS running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and all up the entire configuration cost me $50.00 including the server! What I love about Kodi is the fact that I can run it on literally anything. I also have it set up on all the Android tablets around the house so I can watch TV or media in bed.

Yeah, my media server is running Slackware Linux with 16TB of storage (over 900 movies...). I cannot remember what the CPU is. It was an old server I had laying around. Had to stick a SATA expanasion card into it, but works great.

Everything came about my Wife insisting on having one simple remote to deal with, and so we have the Roku remote, which is butt simple and that is it. She is happy and that is all I needed to get accomplished. I like being able to stream my content to whatever room I am in.

So I have 3 Roku's, 1 Tablo, and 1 media server. Costs more than your setup, but I am happy with it. Never could get happy with Kodi, and I tried.

Yeah, my media server is running Slackware Linux with 16TB of storage (over 900 movies...). I cannot remember what the CPU is. It was an old server I had laying around. Had to stick a SATA expanasion card into it, but works great.

Everything came about my Wife insisting on having one simple remote to deal with, and so we have the Roku remote, which is butt simple and that is it. She is happy and that is all I needed to get accomplished. I like being able to stream my content to whatever room I am in.

So I have 3 Roku's, 1 Tablo, and 1 media server. Costs more than your setup, but I am happy with it. Never could get happy with Kodi, and I tried.

I have the official Microsoft MCE remote emulated on my Harmony One, the whole setup is seamless - It was granted the WAF far faster than the same setup running Windows, that always gave me grief!

The Wife also loves the fact that she can use an identical interface on her tablet in bed.

Yeah, my Wife likes watching her shows on her Samsung tablet while she takes a bubble bath. Wierd woman.

I use Kodi as a video jukebox to access the media on my NAS, I can do the same thing with the Roku, but the artwork scraper makes the Kodi stuff look neater and jumping around is quicker on the HTPC w/wireless keyboard than the Roku w/remote. Back when it was XBMC I did stream some channels like PBS that were straight up accessible, I think some off brand stuff like TMZ was on there, too, but I haven't played with that in a while. I've never even tried to get anything streaming online with the Kodi version.

I use Kodi as a video jukebox to access the media on my NAS, I can do the same thing with the Roku, but the artwork scraper makes the Kodi stuff look neater and jumping around is quicker on the HTPC w/wireless keyboard than the Roku w/remote. Back when it was XBMC I did stream some channels like PBS that were straight up accessible, I think some off brand stuff like TMZ was on there, too, but I haven't played with that in a while. I've never even tried to get anything streaming online with the Kodi version.

The artwork/metadata scraper under Kodi works really well on all media, TV shows/movies included.

I used to have to organize my collection using Media Center Master under my previous setup, never have to do that anymore.

The artwork/metadata scraper under Kodi works really well on all media, TV shows/movies included.

I used to have to organize my collection using Media Center Master under my previous setup, never have to do that anymore.

Kodi gets several of my movies on my server wrong. I need to take the time to see if I can fix it.

Kodi gets several of my movies on my server wrong. I need to take the time to see if I can fix it.

You must have the names wrong, try using the year the movie was released in the name.

ie: Instead of using 'Blade Runner' use 'Blade Runner 2017'.

You must have the names wrong, try using the year the movie was released in the name.

ie: Instead of using 'Blade Runner' use 'Blade Runner 2017'.

I've had these same issues as well with Kodi, and I have the date after everything.
The scraper will have the movie title as such; Blade Runner: 2049 (2017), and I will have it as Blade Runner - 2049 (2017) and the scraper will not add it to my library.
I have the Missing Movies plugin that list all the files that couldn't be scraped. Those are easy enough to fix, but if you have hd's full of movie sets like I have, you have to fight with Kodi to maintain a set library such as Predator, I want all the AVP's in that folder as well but Kodi wants to make it's own set folder called AVP.

After years of constantly having to add movies manually to the library, the only solution I found that worked was to put EVERY movie in it's own folder, same with the sets.
The worse is the old Shaw Bros. films, every scraper I have wants to use the Chinese titles for those, even the Bruce Lee movies get Chinese titles or they won't be added.

Another problem I have is with Kodi not recognizing when I replace a movie with a better version, Kodi will keep both versions even though the older one has been deleted from the hd and the library. Same with moving a movie to a different drive. I have 37Tb of movies and shows on 14 Hd's that are always being shuffled around and added to.

I love Kodi but it is far from perfect. Which is why I've switched to Kodi/Plex plugin, that way I get the best of both worlds.

I've had these same issues as well with Kodi, and I have the date after everything.
The scraper will have the movie title as such; Blade Runner: 2049 (2017), and I will have it as Blade Runner - 2049 (2017) and the scraper will not add it to my library.
I have the Missing Movies plugin that list all the files that couldn't be scraped. Those are easy enough to fix, but if you have hd's full of movie sets like I have, you have to fight with Kodi to maintain a set library such as Predator, I want all the AVP's in that folder as well but Kodi wants to make it's own set folder called AVP.

After years of constantly having to add movies manually to the library, the only solution I found that worked was to put EVERY movie in it's own folder, same with the sets.
The worse is the old Shaw Bros. films, every scraper I have wants to use the Chinese titles for those, even the Bruce Lee movies get Chinese titles or they won't be added.

Another problem I have is with Kodi not recognizing when I replace a movie with a better version, Kodi will keep both versions even though the older one has been deleted from the hd and the library. Same with moving a movie to a different drive. I have 37Tb of movies and shows on 14 Hd's that are always being shuffled around and added to.

I love Kodi but it is far from perfect. Which is why I've switched to Kodi/Plex plugin, that way I get the best of both worlds.

There is a library scan scheduler plugin which can run the db cleaner which will take care of file changes.

Yeah I have a few movies the scaper doesn't really like.. .found you either rename it to something it will recognize or correct and then export to a file for each movie, thus if you wipe and rescan it will use the exported data....

I will have to take a look at the missing movies plugin, never understood why there wasn't a built in message/log to see that type of info.

For some reason the wife and me love the confluence skin, just the righ amount of simple for us... I could never get used to the plex UI...

Bear in mind that no matter what the application, no scraper is perfect - However in the case of Kodi I find that it gets pretty close.

Very few of my titles aren't scraped correctly and I used Blade Runner as I added it last night no worries - How are people adding titles to their libraries?

EWeubbNh.jpg

CY9VprMh.jpg

Last edited:
There is a library scan scheduler plugin which can run the db cleaner which will take care of file changes.

Yeah I have a few movies the scaper doesn't really like.. .found you either rename it to something it will recognize or correct and then export to a file for each movie, thus if you wipe and rescan it will use the exported data....

I will have to take a look at the missing movies plugin, never understood why there wasn't a built in message/log to see that type of info.

For some reason the wife and me love the confluence skin, just the righ amount of simple for us... I could never get used to the plex UI...

I use Kodi as my frontend and Plex as the library manager w/Kodi/Plex plugin it works great, I can't stand Plex's UI, especially since it's browser based.
And yes my wife and I agree with you about the Confluence skin.

Bear in mind that no matter what the application, no scraper is perfect - However in the case of Kodi I find that it gets pretty close.

Very few of my titles aren't scraped correctly and I used Blade Runner as I added it last night no worries - How are people adding titles to their libraries?

I always just added the root folder per hd on the initial setup, then I started to just copy and past the xml. file on to a flash drive on new Kodi installs.

I use Kodi as my frontend and Plex as the library manager w/Kodi/Plex plugin it works great, I can't stand Plex's UI, especially since it's browser based.
And yes my wife and I agree with you about the Confluence skin.

I can't stand Plex, especially when there's a perfectly good open source alternative available!

As stated, my whole Kodi server/frontend setup cost $50.00.

I can't stand Plex, especially when there's a perfectly good open source alternative available!

As stated, my whole Kodi server/frontend setup cost $50.00.

Yeah I don't like the fact that I have to pay to stream to mobile devices, but I also have family members in other states using my account which they pay me monthly, so it all equals out, but Kodi was my first love since it was XBMC, and I'm sure that I will get a wild hair up my ass and go straight Kodi again. :)

I always just added the root folder per hd on the initial setup, then I started to just copy and past the xml. file on to a flash drive on new Kodi installs.

All I do is transfer media to the server under the shared folder using the correct name and year. Once this is done I go to my Kodi frontend and follow the path: Video's > Files > [shared folder] click 'menu' on the remote and go to 'Scan for new content'. Provided the shared folder was set up as 'Movies' or 'TV Series', whichever is appropriate, cover art and metadata is scraped perfectly from within Kodi itself.

You can set Kodi to do this automatically upon startup.
S00zX3vh.jpg

All I do is transfer media to the server under the shared folder using the correct name and year. Once this is done I go to my Kodi frontend and follow the path: Video's > Files > shared folder click 'menu' on the remote and go to 'Scan for new content'. Provided the shared folder was set up as 'Movies' or 'TV Series', whichever is appropriate, cover art and metadata is scraped perfectly from within Kodi itself.

You can set Kodi to do this automatically upon startup.
S00zX3vh.jpg

It does update at every start up, but for initial installs, I always just used the root folder method since there was nothing but movies on the drives. Plus I've had better luck doing it that way since the scraper can be bypassed and it brings over everything, I also use keep original file names, since the scraper will start re-naming shit. Kodi also hates Roman numerals which I use a lot in my sets.

It does update at every start up, but for initial installs, I always just used the root folder method since there was nothing but movies on the drives. Plus I've had better luck doing it that way since the scraper can be bypassed and it brings over everything, I also use keep original file names, since the scraper will start re-naming shit. Kodi also hates Roman numerals which I use a lot in my sets.

I assume I must also use the same option re: "keep original file names" as I've never had Kodi rename anything.

I assume I must also use the same option re: "keep original file names" as I've never had Kodi rename anything.

Yeah it's enabled by default, I turned it off thinking the scraper might work better, and I got rewarded by having to re-re-name a metric shit ton of titles on shows and movies.

Yeah it's enabled by default, I turned it off thinking the scraper might work better, and I got rewarded by having to re-re-name a metric shit ton of titles on shows and movies.

I've defiantly never had to do that! That's what you call a real 'sack tearer'! ;)

I used Kodi for a long while until I tried out PLEX. Such a huge difference...

Back