KODE5 Global Gaming Revolution

HardOCP News

[H] News
This press release landed in the news box today:

Join the KODE5 Global Gaming Revolution
100,000 Gamers from 16 Countries Await the Uprising

We are bigger than the NBA. Bigger than Music. Bigger than Movies. We all know the importance of gaming. Now is the time to bring this message to the masses. With more than 300 million gamers world-wide, we contribute more than US$35 billion to corporations to fuel our habits. Now we want more control and more respect. Now is the time to be recognized for our skills and dedication. The Global Gaming Revolution is approaching. The event is KODE5.

KODE5 masses gamers in 16 countries in a series of regional events to find the best gamers from around the world. The best then fly to an undisclosed location to square off against the world’s gaming elite. With television crews from around the world broadcasting, international media in attendance, and mass crowds rioting for their favorites, the KODE5 Global Finals will bring gaming to the center stage like no other gaming event. KODE5 will take competitive gaming to another level and gain the respect that gaming deserves. The result will be gamers taking gaming to the mainstream.

“Gaming involves more speed and dexterity than most traditional sports and without strategy and cunning, gamers will meet the reaper quickly,” notes Lester Lau, Revolutionary-in-Command. “With KODE5, we will give gamers the recognition and respect they deserve by showing a mainstream audience the excitement of true competitive gaming.”

Don’t wait for your invitation in the mail allowing you to attend KODE5. This is not an invite-only event. Unlike other gaming events, KODE5 Regionals are open to all gamers of all skill levels. We want all gamers to be a part of this. With a massive and professionally-run gaming event for all gamers, KODE5 will promote gaming to the widest audience possible, furthering the sport and its acceptance in the mainstream. The rules and regulations of KODE5 will be setup by the gaming community themselves. Not only are professional gamers and teams involved, but gaming media and game developers as well.

“Team Dignitas formed in 2003 with the aim of raising esports to a new level,” says Michael O’Dell, Team Manager of Team Dignitas. “An essential ingredient for achieving our goal is to work closely with gaming tournaments to help establish standards of sportsmanship and fair play. We are absolutely delighted to be associated with the launch of KODE5. Dedicated tournaments of this scale are really helping to raise the awareness of our sport to the mainstream.”

KODE5 is set to launch at this year’s CeBIT exhibition in Hannover, Germany. With over 450,000 visitors, this 7-day show is the largest IT-related show in the world, and a fitting launch site for KODE5. For the launch, a series of Counter-Strike 1.6 and Quake 4 show matches will be held to entertain showgoers and spread the excitement of competitive gaming.

“We’ve assembled some of the world’s best Quake 4 players and Counter-Strike teams to come to the booth and celebrate the launch of KODE5,” says Coco Lee, Revolutionary Plotter. “For the launch, we invite all gamers to come to our booth and challenge our gamers for cash and prizes. In particular, if a team is able to beat our mystery Counter-Strike team in a best-of-three match, they will get automatic seeding in the KODE5 German Finals. If you’ve got game, KODE5’s CeBIT launch is the place to bring it.”
The KODE5 Global Launch is taking place at hall 23, booth C42. Counter-strike teams interested in challenging the mystery KODE5 team at CeBIT can write to [email protected] for details.

“The entire KODE5 team is excited to bring this event to gamers worldwide. For the global launch at CeBIT, viewers at home will be able to catch the excitement via live Internet broadcasts, and get a taste for what lies ahead. With KODE5, the Global Gaming Revolution is here in a big way.”

Exact details regarding locations, schedules, games, and supporters will be announced March 9, 2006 on the official website:
www.kode5.com

KODE5 Global Gaming Revolution to Launch at CEBIT
Intel, ATI, and Foxconn the first to Announce Support

(HANNOVER, Germany) – March 6, 2006 – Last week, gamers from around the world were told of a revolution about to begin – a global gaming revolution known only as KODE5. We were told KODE5 will mass gamers in 16 countries in a series of regional events to find the best gamers from around the world. The best then fly to an undisclosed location to square off against the world’s gaming elite. On March 9, CeBIT, the largest IT-related trade show in the world, will host the KODE5 global launch. Supported by Foxconn, Intel and ATi, the KODE5 launch will see dozens of professional gamers helping KODE5 bring gaming to CeBIT. The KODE5 launch at CeBIT will see the pros playing pros, as well as the everyday gamers taking each other on for some cool prizes.

Hosted by Germany’s largest gaming network, Giga TV, and with the Team Sportscast Network (www.tsncentral.com), doing the play-by-play, show-goers and international media at CeBIT will have the first chance to witness the beginnings of the KODE5 Global Gaming Revolution. Users at home can also catch the excitement through an exclusive web broadcast. Since its inception in 1999, TsN has pioneered the use of online media to deliver programming specifically targeted at the multiplayer gaming community.

“The growth of eSports over the past two years is phenomenal, and TsN is proud to be on the forefront of the gaming revolution,” says Hunter Luisi, Team Sportscast Network. “We are truly excited to shoutcast the festivities at the KODE5 Global Launch, and viewers at home can tune in to all the action from Hannover daily. It’s going to be one wild ride

For the launch at CeBIT, CS Team The PlayMakers, who recently joined Team Dignitas, will be in attendance to challenge all comers. If a team is able to beat The PlayMakers in a best two-out-of-three match, they will get automatic seeding in the German KODE5 Regional Finals. Included among the CS Teams already lined up to take on The PlayMakers are some of the world’s best girl gaming teams. Other teams interested in challenging The PlayMakers can write to [email protected].

"We are absolutely thrilled to be able to promote this new league, its without a doubt going to be one of the major esport events in 2006,” says Mike “spx” Luetzhoeft. “We are thrilled to be a part of the launch."

Intel, ATi, and Foxconn have all announced support for the KODE5 project with more expected to jump on board to show their support of the gaming community. The supporters of KODE5 have committed to listening to the feedback from the gaming community and then acting on that feedback. For the KODE5 Regional and Global Finals, a standard KODE5 gaming platform will be created so that all gamers are ensured of an even playing field. Intel, ATi and Foxconn have all committed to provide the hardware for these KODE5 platforms and to work with each other to tweak these systems for ultimate performance.

KODE5 looks to spread the message of competitive gaming to the masses by giving the gaming community a voice. To do this KODE5 will assemble the Revolutionary Council, an advisory board that consists of some of the biggest names in the gaming community. By involving gamers, organizers, teams, media, and developers, the Revolutionary Council will help shape the rules and regulations of KODE5, and help spread the excitement of competitive gaming to a mainstream audience. By showing a mainstream audience how esports are meant to be played, KODE5, along with the Revolutionary Council, aims to have a serious impact on the shape of competitive gaming.

In order to appeal to a wide range of gamers around the world, Counter-Strike 1.6, Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, and Quake 4 are the official games of KODE5. Gamers of all skill levels are invited to attend KODE5 regional events. The rules and regulations of KODE5 were setup by the gaming community themselves. Not only are professional gamers and teams involved, but gaming media and game developers as well. Opening the event to everyone really allows KODE5 to maintain closeness to the pulse of the gaming community, and deliver a tournament that is recognized and accepted by everyone – from the casual gamer to the seasoned professional. In the end, KODE5 recognizes what matters most – the gamers that drive it.

The KODE5 Global Launch is taking place at the Foxconn booth, hall 23, booth C42. More details regarding locations, schedules, games, and supporters will be available March 9, 2006 on the official website: www.kode5.com

One more time, people play facking Warcraft 3 instead of a better strategy game - CnC Generals Zero Hour.

Yes, the WC3 single player is more involved, but IMO Zero Hour has much better online play, and allows for much more strategy/counter attacks that WC could ever dream of.

And I am not trying to bad-mouth WC3 either, I think it is a good game, but doesn't take nearly the strategy involved to play and win as does CnC Zero Hour.

Also, CS 1.6 is good, but this is 2006 people, it is time to move on. CS:S is the only way to go.

Man, I am starting to sound like a real whiner about this, but I just don't understand though. Quake 4?! CS 1.6? WC3?

Who was responsible for picking these games out?!

It's not like there's a standard LAN tournament game out there. I personally think the selection is good. 2 different fps's and a strat. We can argue all day about which game is better than which but by the end of the day, guess what, it come down to numbers. Which game sold/made more money than the other.... that's the one they'll use to appease a variety of people.

ps. I would take 1.6 over source any day of the week

ps. I would take 1.6 over source any day of the week

I don't see how anyone could like it after playing source. It is just too damn easy to kill people in 1.6. Especially headshots. I can't even count how many times I get kicked for "too many" headshots or "too many kills". I always get accused of cheating. Always.
Which is why I don't play anymore. I can't play five rounds most games without someone vote kicking me or the admin kicking me.

I was getting all excited untill I read the part about 1.6 and Q4 LOL Q4 :p

I was getting all excited untill I read the part about 1.6 and Q4 LOL Q4

QFT - might as well get out Doom 3 and play death match on that too. While we are picking out the wrong games to play @ a LAN. :rolleyes:

In order to appeal to a wide range of gamers around the world, Counter-Strike 1.6, Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, and Quake 4 are the official games of KODE5.

This is kind of sad. Starcraft is head and shoulders above War 3, and this is also reinforcing the idea that "gamers" are fps nuts who just deathmatch all day.

Apparently "wide range" means people who like rts, but mostly just people who like fps. They should only run one fps and having something else in there, like a racer or a fighter. Then if it's successful they can really expand into other genres.

Slartibartfast said:
This is kind of sad. Starcraft is head and shoulders above War 3, and this is also reinforcing the idea that "gamers" are fps nuts who just deathmatch all day.

Apparently "wide range" means people who like rts, but mostly just people who like fps. They should only run one fps and having something else in there, like a racer or a fighter. Then if it's successful they can really expand into other genres.

Man, I agree with you on this. I understand that WC3 and CS 1.6 are pretty popular... but I know there are more RA2,SC, TA players out there than there are WC3. I mean, WC3 isn't that much newer than those games, you know? It isn't like WC3 just game out - it is an old game now.

And WTF is with them picking Quake IV?

And I am with you, FPS are generally boring (if you don't kicked for *cheating*). I wish there was an RTS LAN tournament of this scale, instead of so many FPS games. :(

Json23 said:
One more time, people play facking Warcraft 3 instead of a better strategy game - CnC Generals Zero Hour.

Yes, the WC3 single player is more involved, but IMO Zero Hour has much better online play, and allows for much more strategy/counter attacks that WC could ever dream of.

And I am not trying to bad-mouth WC3 either, I think it is a good game, but doesn't take nearly the strategy involved to play and win as does CnC Zero Hour.

im all for that i could actually compete in the generals zh tourney. havent invested enough time in WC3 1vs1 to compete with top level players.

but ya its choosen because its probably still the most popular multiplayers RTS game right now. and its properly supported unlike Gens.

Dude, screw Quake 4 and CS: Whatever, let's play some Halo PC multi! :D

with ya there man ^^, i still play a good two hours every night

Its one of the few games i can play on my 56k online, and besides i love the strategy of a proper ctf match

jbrukardt said:
with ya there man ^^, i still play a good two hours every night

Its one of the few games i can play on my 56k online, and besides i love the strategy of a proper ctf match
I'm not alone on my isle of threeshot pwnage after all! Thank the gods! Now I can kill you and feast on your innards, Paxon Fettel-style!

That reminds me of something else... FEAR MP needs some publicity! It's the closest thing I've found to Halo PC multi, kinda a spiritual sucessor of sorts.

Json23 said:

Please. CnC has some great elements, but what real strategy is there? Micro-management is unheard of, an indescribable number of units are totally useless in offense, and don't even get me started on the crappy net code. Lag on a Gb network with top of the range PCs? That's unacceptable.
War3 is a game that actually requires some sort of reflexes and skill to win, rather than "tech fast, build faster" mentality. Sure, it gets repetitive, and there's really only so many "paper/scissors/rock" scenarios, but at least you require skill and tactics/strategy to win a game.
Simply, War3 for competition, CnC for mounds of fun.

banGerprawN said:
Please. CnC has some great elements, but what real strategy is there? Micro-management is unheard of, an indescribable number of units are totally useless in offense, and don't even get me started on the crappy net code. Lag on a Gb network with top of the range PCs? That's unacceptable.
War3 is a game that actually requires some sort of reflexes and skill to win, rather than "tech fast, build faster" mentality. Sure, it gets repetitive, and there's really only so many "paper/scissors/rock" scenarios, but at least you require skill and tactics/strategy to win a game.
Simply, War3 for competition, CnC for mounds of fun.

Yeah, War3 is "level as fast as farking possible, build pretty quickly, and tech whenever." Unless you level your first hero as fast as possible you're done for :rolleyes:

Slartibartfast said:
Yeah, War3 is "level as fast as farking possible, build pretty quickly, and tech whenever." Unless you level your first hero as fast as possible you're done for :rolleyes:

QFT - He obviously isn't that great at strategy games, and there is one clue in his statement to attest to that
an indescribable number of units are totally useless in offense

Hence the word "strategy" in REAL TIME STRATEGY. Unlike Wc3, which involves (mostly) throwing the most, strongest units + a hero into the battle to win, in CnC you have to use strategy.

In CnC ZH, you can throw a thousand tanks at me, and not make a dent, but you could sneak in a Lotus and wreak some serious damage. Or maybe if I am the lazer gen you could my power out and cripple me. Or you could fly a chinook across the water and land a few powerful units in my unprotected back door... the list goes on and on. If you don't strategize, you will lose.

I know that may be a concept hard for you to understand.. :rolleyes:

Also, I don't have a problem one with online play and CnC ZH. And I have been playing the game online for years now.

Slartibartfast said:
Thats very true, which is one of the reasons I said
Sure, it gets repetitive, and there's really only so many "paper/scissors/rock" scenarios
Yes, a huge portion of the game is based around making your hero as strong as possible, and having an army that complements him, but IMO that only adds a depth to the gameplay. You have to experiment/learn/discover what units complement which hero best, and you have to be able to use them in a way that is somewhat original and almost totally unexpected. War3 is definitely all attack/couter-attack/riposte, and it requires loads of tactical knowledge and skill to be able to exploit that fully.
Json23 said:
In CnC ZH, you can throw a thousand tanks at me, and not make a dent, but you could sneak in a Lotus and wreak some serious damage. Or maybe if I am the lazer gen you could my power out and cripple me. Or you could fly a chinook across the water and land a few powerful units in my unprotected back door... the list goes on and on. If you don't strategize, you will lose.
I couldn't agree more, because, let's face it - it wouldn't be an RTS without the S, would it? The point I'm trying to get across is that War3 requires more skill and tactics to win than what CnC does. This is obvious in the fact that CnC allows for an unlimited number of men, buildings, money, power, etc. It's a basic dynamic of the game, that encourages turtling for players who are less experienced. It's entirely possible to win a game without once having to expand, without once having to send units on offensive raids, without once even being forced to build anything other than defensive structures. Sure, veteran players are aware that this is not the best way to defeat an opponent, but we all know how tempting it is to simply sit in your base with a few hundred hackers and a score of nukes. A typical CnC games is winnable in many ways, but unlike Warcraft 3, not every single way requires you to be skilled or tactically minded. This is precisely why I think that WC3 is perfect for competition gaming. No matter what is done, you must plan ahead, adapt your game plan, and be prepared to deal with all types of offense, all on very limited resources and units.
Json23 said:
He obviously isn't that great at strategy games...
Json23 said:
I know that may be a concept hard for you to understand.. :rolleyes:
Nice personal attacks. I can see you're real good at strategy games and paticipating in mature discussions of opinion.

banGerprawN said:
Yes, a huge portion of the game is based around making your hero as strong as possible, and having an army that complements him, but IMO that only adds a depth to the gameplay. You have to experiment/learn/discover what units complement which hero best, and you have to be able to use them in a way that is somewhat original and almost totally unexpected. War3 is definitely all attack/couter-attack/riposte, and it requires loads of tactical knowledge and skill to be able to exploit that fully.

I didn't get into the game a whole lot on b.net (because I didn't like it all that much) but from what I did play, I would use the same strategy everytime and usually won (as orcs): Get a tauren hero, start killing creeps, build a bunch of grunts and a few trolls, then go straight for their first flyers (I forget what they're called) and build 12 of them. With that mixture I almost always won. In StarCraft I usually play Protoss, and I found that I had to take my opponents into consideration to a much greater extent (the only thing I always built there was scouts). Fighting Zerg? Get reavers/zealots. Terran? I better get some corsairs and dark templars, while staying away from archons.

Overall I think that the "scale" of War 3 hurts the game. You have considerably less units and all are considerably more powerful - grunts will stand there and hack at each other for 2 minutes or so. Everything revolves around micromanaging your hero. StarCraft requires more strategy because you have more units and they are all more vulnerable.

WTF, they pick the updated version of quake 4 even though no one plays it online, but they pick shitty cs 1.6, what a waste.

Back