Kodak is Coming Out with an Android Smartphone at CES

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Consumer Electronics Show is right around the corner, it’s the show that gives us a preview of what wonderments we can expect in the near future in electronics. From now until the show begins January 6th, we will be getting bits of information about different products. Today, the surprise entrant into the handheld business will be Kodak who is supposed to unveil its new Android smartphone at CES and later, a rollout of its new tablet entry and something we can all identify with Kodak, a new camera.

The phones will have “easy access to printing and sharing services,” so it’s clear Kodak wants to recapture the feel of holding a physical copy in your hand.

Whenever I think about hi-end smart phones and tablets, the first name that always leaps to mind is...

Kodak.

:confused:

Didn't Kodak essentially go out of business a few years ago? Wouldn't this count as a zombie re-branding effort like Atari?

Good that someone's trying to do something with all that lingering brand awareness but betting on people buying more physical prints doesn't seem like the way forward.

The devices will be with image capture, management and sharing features
You mean like the camera/gallery and share feature in every android phone?

easy access to printing and sharing services
So you send a picture to an app that sends it to some printing service and mails you out a photo? I hope kodak isn't betting its future on some app that sends a picture somewhere, lets at least hope it has a decent camera.

It is these type of ideas from the geniuses working at Kodak that got them where they are today.

F-ing A ... a little late to the game here boys. I mean seriously.

BTW, isn't Kodak just a shell of a company now anyways? I thought they were sold to some Chinese company years back, like most old US brands (Westinghouse, Polaroid).

People aren't bored to death with cellphones, by now?...Go figure...;)

Sister-in-law was going to give her daughter a Kodak tablet with keyboard. At first I was gobsmacked that Kodak was even still a thing (I thought they were dead?), much less that it was putting out tablets with keyboards. Looked into it, and it wasn't even as good as the Kindle Fire her daughter already had, so I was able to wave her off that terrible idea. That poor kid.

The funny thing is this will sell more units than all Windows Phones combined.

Kodak dropped the ball a few times over the years.
First, they developed the Digital camera in 1975 but put it aside, imagine if they would kept with it.
Then they were number 1 in digital camera sales, then they couldn't keep up with competitors who could produce the cameras much cheaper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastman_Kodak
By 2005, Kodak ranked No. 1 in the U.S. in digital camera sales that surged 40% to $5.7 billion.[40]

Despite the high growth, Kodak failed to anticipate how fast these digital cameras became commodities, with low profit margins, as more companies entered the market in the mid-2000s.[41] In 2001 Kodak held the No. 2 spot in U.S. digital camera sales (behind Sony) but it lost $60 USD on every camera sold, while there was also a dispute between employees from its digital and film divisions.[42] The film business, where Kodak enjoyed high profit margins, fell 18% in 2005. The combination of these two factors resulted in disappointing profits overall.[40] Its digital cameras soon became undercut by Asian competitors that could produce their offerings more cheaply. Kodak had a 27 percent market-leading share in 1999, that dwindled to 15 percent by 2003.[42] In 2007 Kodak was No. 4 in U.S. digital camera sales with a 9.6 percent share, and by 2010 it held 7 percent in seventh place behind Canon, Sony, Nikon, and others, according to research firm IDC.[43] Also an ever-smaller percentage of digital pictures were being taken on dedicated digital cameras, being gradually displaced in the late 2000s by cameras on cellphones, smartphones, and tablets.

Kodak prolly is just buying and rebranding some Android phone produced in China like every other company out there. Probably the best they'll do is stick some sorta Kodak logo on the camera software and add a super trendy automatic sepia filter.

Sad. Smart phones killed off the low end camera market. The smoke isn't even coming out of the barrel any more - old news, move on.
Do we really need another Android phone? Competition is fierce and I think they have an uphill battle.
Ask teens now what Kodak is. I think 6/10 will think it is tobacco (Kodiak). The other 4/10 will probably just stare at you. I can't imagine the brand has appeal any more.
Same with Polaroid. Remember PhotoShack?
My kids saw an old Polaroid with instant photos. They thought it was kind of neat, but my 6 year old made the astute observation that you can't email a physical photo. Puts away camera and tells them to get off my lawn...

Back