knoppmyth setup

scotty do

Limp Gawd
I have enough knowledge to get around in linux, but really have no clue what knoppmyth wants to do. Basically, I am a windows user...2 ntfs drives. Do I need a linux partition to run knoppmyth still? Im familure with knoppix and was hoping this would work very similar. I've checked around the site, google...everything before anyone mentions it....im just looking for a complete idiots guide...thanks.

this version is an easier install (from what i've read, i'm about to take the plunge like you into a linux rig (most likely)
However yes.. it does need some HDD space to work from. I think this is mostly due to the amount of data that will be floating around.... I think.

There are 4 basic installs when you startup with the Knoppmyth CD in your drive. Auto-install, Auto upgrade, Manual Install, and Frontend.

Only the frontend install can run off the CD everything else will require a frew Gigs or so of drive space.

If you want to retain data on your drive you will have to do a manual install as the Auto-install will format your hard drive. You actually will need to make 4 partitions for the Mythtv install. All of the details are here on their site:

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#manualinstall

Spud

honestly if your new to linux and gun shy of it.. what you really want todo is get a spare hard drive.. doesnt have to be more then a few gigs (for testing)

and do the auto install onto that drive.. doing a manual install your going to start playing with partitions and stuff you might not feel comfterble with..

just my $0.02

im comfortable with formatting...i just want to checkout mythtv before i put some money into a htpc.....i dont really have the space to max partitions.

im pretty sure you cant just use it off the cd...knoppmyth boots up, goes into X and just sits on the desktop, if i try to launch mythtv nothing happens, if i try to open it from the terminal it gives me a mysql error...which is because mysql isn't installed or configured because i need the backend as well??

yeah, you'll need a backend as well. you're going to have to either do the manual install or the autoinstall on a drive you're not using if you want to experiment with it.

Back