Knighthood for Steve Jobs Blocked

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this story, the former British Prime Minister blocked knighthood for Steve Jobs because he refused to speak at a political event. If true, that is pretty damn janky. :(

The then-Prime Minister refused to knight Mr Jobs in 2009 because he turned down an invitation to speak at the Labour Party conference, a former senior Labour MP said. Mr Jobs was put forward for the honour by the MP for services to technology.

Last edited:
They should knight Bill Gates instead. Extortions of Microsoft over the years have kept the whole continent afloat.

I guess you can't really blame him too much. It seems like it would be the equivalent of speaking at the RNC or DNC in the states.

The title would be pretty bad ass though

Wait, BONO is a knight? What, they just up and knight anyone I guess?

I think I would have warmer feelings for the one that was NOT responsible for 30+ million deaths. Maybe those 30 million had it comin', eh? :eek:

Those 30 mill was all more or less russian thou... stalin did help defeat nazi germany and that in turn help end the holocaust... you could say it all evened out at the end. sides there is a segment of russia that wants to honor stalin today based on the accomplishments he did do (and ignore or rewrite all the bad... but that's history)

STOP FUCKING KNIGHTING PEOPLE.. Seriously its just getting sad now.

i couldnt care less about who is knighted or not but I guess its amusing how they apparently hand out knighthoods like candy to any popular celebrity

thank god no matter what we won't have to call him sir jobs, thats something at least.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd rather see The Woz knighted for services to technology, Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds. These three have done way more for actual tech than Jobs. Jobs is a marketer, not a technology maven. You should not be knighted for selling ANY product well, especially one that has such questionable value to society and until very recently was made and serviced by people under questionable conditions.

Those 30 mill was all more or less russian thou... stalin did help defeat nazi germany and that in turn help end the holocaust... you could say it all evened out at the end. sides there is a segment of russia that wants to honor stalin today based on the accomplishments he did do (and ignore or rewrite all the bad... but that's history)

Most were Ukrainian, racial minorities, prisoners of war, and political dissenters. Definitely worse than the holocaust!

i couldnt care less about who is knighted or not but I guess its amusing how they apparently hand out knighthoods like candy to any popular celebrity
Exactly. The title means jack shit now. Instead of finding decent, hardworking people who are making a difference in the world to give an honor to, they just throw it at whatever lame celebrity they feel like. Keith Richards characterized it best when he called it "bollocks."

knights, unicorns and other bullshit oh my.

can the world stop caring about these meaningless monarchs ?

I'd rather see The Woz knighted for services to technology, Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds. These three have done way more for actual tech than Jobs. Jobs is a marketer, not a technology maven. You should not be knighted for selling ANY product well, especially one that has such questionable value to society and until very recently was made and serviced by people under questionable conditions.

Well said!

Steve Jobs would never be able to move in a suit of armor. He would be a terrible knight, just terrible.

Hmm...he would be the first American knighted if it did go through, European's only from the look of the list.

Couldn't see it happening either, for one he's American, and two, his ancestors ruined some perfectly good tea;)

I would much rather have Jeremy Clarkson knighted. I mean Jobs? Really?

Go CLARKSON! I love that guy.

I don't understand the Steve Jobs knighting thing though...for what? Because he heads a magical company? Never hear about a foundation of his helping kids or poor people...

Hmm...he would be the first American knighted if it did go through, European's only from the look of the list.

Couldn't see it happening either, for one he's American, and two, his ancestors ruined some perfectly good tea;)

Bill Gates?

The following Americans have been knighted:

Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
Bill Gates
Rudi Guiliani
Billy Graham
Alan Greenspan
J Edgar Hoover
Bob Hope (born in England but a US citizen)
Henry Kissinger
Andre Previn
Norman Swarzkopf Jr.
Steven Spielberg

But in typical Steve Jobs fashion he would do something that other people have already done and still claimed he was the first.

Back