Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

My comp knowledge, pretty good.
My audio knowledge, I'm ashamed to even say I know anything.

Sound card : Asus Xonar DX

Back in 2010 I got my amp repaired by Elliot (when he was honest looking at the number people who got screwed over since then).

Also ditched the stock sat speakers for a pair for Klipsch RB-10 (1" horn and 4" woofer) and just kept it as a 2.1 system due being a new dad and fearing my son would yank on the rear speaker wires.

Worked great until about a week ago where I could hear it crackle and hiss more frequently. Not sure if I helped doom the system by having putting the sub on its front so that the speaker connectors was facing up.

So instead of getting it repaired yet again I went with the recommendations of the Lepai amp (model no. LP-2020A+) and the Dayton Audio SA100. Many thanks !!!

Was going to order through Parts Express but the Lepai was out of stock. Checked on Amazon (prime member ... 2day free shipping) and surprisingly it was in stock and sold by Parts Express $30 vs $25 (direct) and got the Dayton amp for $100 vs $90 (direct).

The Lepai amp is great, couldn't ask for a more simple set up.

Having the volume at about 40% on the amp and in Windows @ 50% just perfect. Have the treble set @ 50% and bass @ 70% on the Lepai. Tested with a bunch of flac files great all around (Van Halen 1984, MJ's Thriller, and Armand Van Helden's Witch Docktor).

As great as the amp sounds driving the RB10s, its definitely lacking the low end normally coming out of the dual 8" woofers. I can feel vibrations through my desk but its not the same, Hard to describe.

For someone who never used the Klipsch Ultra, trust me the the basic set-up of just the Lepai and set of quality speakers would be better than almost all computer speakers out there. Atleast that's my opinion :)

Okay onto the Dayton sub amp .... its a little smaller than the space left by the original klipsch amp. Probably about 2" vertically and 1/2" horizontally. Will try and visit Home Depot or Lowes and get some wood to fill the existing hole and cut out for the new Dayton amp. More to come hopefully later today or tomorrow.

If anyone else has the Dayton amp, what do I connect to my computer's sound card ? Yes I'm that clueless when it comes to audio :D Currently have the front speakers going into the front speaker of the sound card. There is a input for a sub but not sure where on the Dayton amp I would connect to. I have a RCA to mini jack wire but unsure which RCA jack of Dayton to plug into.

Yeah. Remove and toss the blown klipsch bash amp from the sub and buy an amp from parts express and bolt that sucker on. Done. $89 plus shipping
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-802
Use your other amp for the satellites. If the plate doesn't cover the hole from the bash amp you may need to get creative with some mdf or something.

So this will be enough for the sub alone? I would like to replace my aging bash amp although there are no problems with it right now. would I lose anything on the bass?

I did get my Klipsch amp repaired by Elliott last year and it seemed to work alright. I wanted to try something different so I bought a Yamaha RX-V361 reciever off Ebay for 90 bucks and bought a new Polk Audio PSW 110 sub woofer. I had to buy cables to get it all hooked up properly and the sound using the Klipsch front ,center and rear speakers is awesome. The control I have with the Yamaha receiver lets new get all the deep bass I was getting with the Klipsch sub. Plus I gained a remote control so I can kick back watching movies and still control all the sound. The Klipsch amp still works great ( hooked it all back up a couple of weeks ago), I will use it again when the Yamaha fails me. Too bad Elliott turned out like he did, he had a good thing going on.

So my Klipsch 2.1 sub was in the car and i think it rattled around too much and when i plugged it in and played it made popping noises then i smelled something burn then it died. Is this going to be a difficult fix? I know nothing about speakers. Not sure if i should buy some m-audio AV40s or try to repair the klipsch without any knowledge about what to do. Other problem is i dont really have time to be fiddling around with it to try and fix it.

After 7 years my sub starting to cut out,ill send it out to Henry once I get some extra cash.

Anyhow, my tweeters I guess also called Horns are vibrating while playing music, once they warm up it gets better. Any one replace these yet? I opened them up and googled the part numbers and I could not find anything

IMG_20120621_110237.jpg

Just wanted to post a follow-up with my conversion of the Klipsch sub with the Dayton amp... sorry it took so long, I don't have tools to cut wood so had to rely on others.

In the meantime, I picked up the Polk PSW10 from Amazon for $100.

With the new Dayton amp everything worked out great, almost too great. The power was there drive the 2 8" woofers like I remember them. Love the auto-off feature. Somehow it now seemed too loud after using the Polk for about 2wks. Maybe I'm getting too old :)

Had a few friends come over and help me decide which to keep. The Polk was voted best overall sound but everyone was impressed with the power coming out of the Klipsch.

You might be better off just getting any bookshelf speakers from Best Buy or where ever. I remember when the Ultras were being sold, those speakers were being sold for around $20 or so.

After 7 years my sub starting to cut out,ill send it out to Henry once I get some extra cash.

Anyhow, my tweeters I guess also called Horns are vibrating while playing music, once they warm up it gets better. Any one replace these yet? I opened them up and googled the part numbers and I could not find anything

IMG_20120621_110237.jpg

Just wanted to post a follow-up with my conversion of the Klipsch sub with the Dayton amp... sorry it took so long, I don't have tools to cut wood so had to rely on others.

In the meantime, I picked up the Polk PSW10 from Amazon for $100.

With the new Dayton amp everything worked out great, almost too great. The power was there drive the 2 8" woofers like I remember them. Love the auto-off feature. Somehow it now seemed too loud after using the Polk for about 2wks. Maybe I'm getting too old :)

Had a few friends come over and help me decide which to keep. The Polk was voted best overall sound but everyone was impressed with the power coming out of the Klipsch.

Did the Dayton plate amp fit ok or did you have to modify the sub opening? Also are you using a seperate amp/receiver for the satellites? Or is the Dayton amp doing everything?

2 of mine got popped during an electrical storm. I could not find adequate replacement horns so the speakers sadly went into the trash. Rotated the surround speakers into the main roles.

Last edited:
I'm using the $30 Lepai LP-2020A+ to power the fronts (went with a 2.1 setup)

The Dayton didn't fit the plate cut out of the original Bash amp. So I went to HomeDepot and got them to cut me a board that would cover it and had a friend cut out to put the Dayton amp .. the cut will be 6.5" x 7.5"

Did the Dayton plate amp fit ok or did you have to modify the sub opening? Also are you using a seperate amp/receiver for the satellites? Or is the Dayton amp doing everything?

I have a Klipsch 4.1 Promedia THX speaker system for my computer that are my fave set I've ever heard. However, I'm having an issue lately where only some of my satellite speakers will work at once. Sometimes 2 or 3 out of the 4. I know the satellite speakers are good because when I change them into the cables to the ones that are working, they work too. I think it is something in the subwoofer with the channels or something.

I really badly want to get these fixed. My only other option is to purchase the Logitech Z906 speaker set, which I'm not even sure will sound as good as these Klipsch speakers.

I wrote to Elliot at Elliot-tronics that I saw mentioned in this thread and he replied that he could fix them and gave me an estimate but I thought I read something in this thread that he is ripping people off now. Is this correct? I also wrote to the other guy mentioned in this thread named Henry I think? He also wrote and gave me a cheaper estimate than Elliott but it would cost me $33 to ship the parts to him in Canada and he can't get to it till September.

What do you all suggest? Is there a good way to save my Klipsch Promedia THX 4.1 system?

I have a Klipsch 4.1 Promedia THX speaker system for my computer that are my fave set I've ever heard. However, I'm having an issue lately where only some of my satellite speakers will work at once. Sometimes 2 or 3 out of the 4. I know the satellite speakers are good because when I change them into the cables to the ones that are working, they work too. I think it is something in the subwoofer with the channels or something.

I really badly want to get these fixed. My only other option is to purchase the Logitech Z906 speaker set, which I'm not even sure will sound as good as these Klipsch speakers.

I wrote to Elliot at Elliot-tronics that I saw mentioned in this thread and he replied that he could fix them and gave me an estimate but I thought I read something in this thread that he is ripping people off now. Is this correct? I also wrote to the other guy mentioned in this thread named Henry I think? He also wrote and gave me a cheaper estimate than Elliott but it would cost me $33 to ship the parts to him in Canada and he can't get to it till September.

What do you all suggest? Is there a good way to save my Klipsch Promedia THX 4.1 system?

You obviously haven't read the whole thread. Go with Henry even if it'll be longer before he can get to it. At least you will receive quality work and will get your parts back. With Elliot, it may be months before you get your amp back...if at all. Elliot started a good thing but the MAJORITY of people say his communication is good before the sale but he is unresponsive afterwards. I'd trust Henry 50x before sending my parts to Elliot.

Not sure if this is related, but I figure it's better to post here than create a new thread.

I have the 2.1 Promedia setup - bought it in 2001 I think. Within the last year or so, the sub cuts in and out constantly. Usually after an hour or so of music playback, it will stay on like normal, but that is not exactly acceptable. Is that the amp dying or what? Any chance I can save it, or should I just buy a Polk or similar sub for ~$100? I have an old Marantz stereo received sitting in storage that I would use, too.

I really badly want to get these fixed. My only other option is to purchase the Logitech Z906 speaker set, which I'm not even sure will sound as good as these Klipsch speakers. (...)

I also wrote to the other guy mentioned in this thread named Henry I think? He also wrote and gave me a cheaper estimate than Elliott but it would cost me $33 to ship the parts to him in Canada and he can't get to it till September.

In June I had Henry fix both of my Klispch sets- my 5.1 and my 4.1- and I could not be happier with the results. It cost me about $40 in shipping to send both of my units to him and the wait was about two months from when I emailed him until I sent them out, but it was worth it. Once Henry got them he emailed updates constantly, and the repair was done in about a week. Now they're back to the old, phenomenal sound I remember.

I completely recommend having Henry fix your ProMedia set.

In June I had Henry fix both of my Klispch sets- my 5.1 and my 4.1- and I could not be happier with the results. It cost me about $40 in shipping to send both of my units to him and the wait was about two months from when I emailed him until I sent them out, but it was worth it. Once Henry got them he emailed updates constantly, and the repair was done in about a week. Now they're back to the old, phenomenal sound I remember.

I completely recommend having Henry fix your ProMedia set.

Henry FTW!

Horn ? no, its a cheap 2$ tweeter, same with the driver its a cheap thin metal basket driver OEM to be exact, nothing special about it at all, oh wait, yes there is the word "Klipsch" so now they sound the best of all best equipment.

I really don't know why people insist saying these are the best sounding speakers, really ? they are plastic..

If you actually LOOK at the amplifier and the eq part of this Klipsch Promedia 5.1's there is so much JUNK in the audio path it's disgusting..

Horn ? no, its a cheap 2$ tweeter, same with the driver its a cheap thin metal basket driver OEM to be exact, nothing special about it at all, oh wait, yes there is the word "Klipsch" so now they sound the best of all best equipment.

I really don't know why people insist saying these are the best sounding speakers, really ? they are plastic..

If you actually LOOK at the amplifier and the eq part of this Klipsch Promedia 5.1's there is so much JUNK in the audio path it's disgusting..

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why that post was even necessary. No one is proclaiming these to be the best speakers that ever graced our planet. These people have speaker systems that stopped working and this thread is devoted to the various ways of fixing them, whether that be DIY or sending them off to a professional. If they like them enough to want to get them repaired, how does that affect you exactly?

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is called "Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair", not "Klipsch Promedias are the best speakers ever."

I'm sitting here trying to figure out why that post was even necessary. No one is proclaiming these to be the best speakers that ever graced our planet. These people have speaker systems that stopped working and this thread is devoted to the various ways of fixing them, whether that be DIY or sending them off to a professional. If they like them enough to want to get them repaired, how does that affect you exactly?

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is called "Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair", not "Klipsch Promedias are the best speakers ever."

Ok, well I can offer some advice then, on fixing SMPS power supplies then.

Yay so my promedia ultra 5,1 sub is not powering the speakers.. at first it was fine and now all that happend was a loud high pitched now nothing from the speakers but the subwoofer produces the lfe...lol

This blows!

When I used to work at BBY I think I had the amp/sub go bad at least 3 times and every time I just got new ones...not anymore, it's a shame, I really enjoyed these speakers a lot. They still look brand new.

-Nigel

Welp got some new parts and replaced it... figured I didn't want to run into this again so I did a 92mm hole on the side that is known to get hot and fry... Fits perfectly on the side. Took about 30 mins to mod.

Bass has NOT dimished much at all honestly. The thing is already more than enough for computer speakers so loosing a tiny amount of bass is nothing. I'd compare it to having the bass setting at 10, and now having to raise it to 12 to get the same affect as 10 gave me. I never had it at the max 15 anyways...

Quick pic.

20120909_174740.jpg

-Nigel

Welp got some new parts and replaced it... figured I didn't want to run into this again so I did a 92mm hole on the side that is known to get hot and fry... Fits perfectly on the side. Took about 30 mins to mod.

Bass has NOT dimished much at all honestly. The thing is already more than enough for computer speakers so loosing a tiny amount of bass is nothing. I'd compare it to having the bass setting at 10, and now having to raise it to 12 to get the same affect as 10 gave me. I never had it at the max 15 anyways...

Quick pic.

-Nigel

You put a fan in the port ? your kidding me right ? ( or is that the sealed side )

Quick pic.

-Nigel

Nigel, how much did it cost you all in all?

Do any of you all use the ProMedia DD-5.1 with this system? I'm trying to connect it to my TV optical out and when I do it says "Unknown Optical". I try the same thing directly from my PS3 and same thing.

Any ideas?

You put a fan in the port ? your kidding me right ? ( or is that the sealed side )

I have the ultra pro-medias 5.1 which has the sub and two speakers inside, the port is the entire length in the back... That blow hole or intake (whatever you want to call it) is on the right hand side right where shit normally fries and gets hot via the power.. The 92mm fan fits PERFECTLY on the inside. Almost like that's what they should have done in the first place or something... regardless this is awesome. I just took a temp reading and it's anywhere from 74 degrees F with fan blowing at roughly 5v's.. and it drops down to 70-= degrees F cranked up. WAY better than the 100+ degrees that it was once...

I made a small notch on the back behind the plate so the power cord comes out and is pretty much hidden by the back plate. I have a ikea dimmer switch so now I can control the fan speed and noise. See pic:

20120913_223604.jpg

Ikea light dimmer/on/off... works GREAT for AC power fans..

20120913_223618.jpg

The 92mm fan I had already along with the light controller... infact I think i have 2 more of these laying around. Total cost was zero.

Now shit isn't going to fry inside the box. Again, sound is unaffected.. I just cranked everything up and i MIGHT have lost a tiny amount of bass... currently I have the bass at 8...

Would have never even thought about doing this but it should have struck me as odd for the many many years of owning this that the damn sub always goes bad.. I've gone through at least 3-4 in the years I've owned them.. from the original 5.1, to the Ultras..etc.

-Nigel

I have the ultra pro-medias 5.1 which has the sub and two speakers inside, the port is the entire length in the back... That blow hole or intake (whatever you want to call it) is on the right hand side right where shit normally fries and gets hot via the power.. The 92mm fan fits PERFECTLY on the inside. Almost like that's what they should have done in the first place or something... regardless this is awesome. I just took a temp reading and it's anywhere from 74 degrees F with fan blowing at roughly 5v's.. and it drops down to 70-= degrees F cranked up. WAY better than the 100+ degrees that it was once...

I made a small notch on the back behind the plate so the power cord comes out and is pretty much hidden by the back plate. I have a ikea dimmer switch so now I can control the fan speed and noise. See pic:

The 92mm fan I had already along with the light controller... infact I think i have 2 more of these laying around. Total cost was zero.

Now shit isn't going to fry inside the box. Again, sound is unaffected.. I just cranked everything up and i MIGHT have lost a tiny amount of bass... currently I have the bass at 8...

Would have never even thought about doing this but it should have struck me as odd for the many many years of owning this that the damn sub always goes bad.. I've gone through at least 3-4 in the years I've owned them.. from the original 5.1, to the Ultras..etc.

-Nigel

you just altered the frequency that sub, by putting that hole in the side.. every time that driver pushes or pulls it will now go out that fan..

If that was an actuall good design, they would have put a heat-sink on the rear to cool the psu & power amplifier.. but they didn't over priced JUNK klipsch has totally gone down hill.

THIS, is how subwoofer amplifers should be, note the heatsink on the back. witch keeps the fet's / psu's cooler..

034-6254.jpg

you just altered the frequency that sub, by putting that hole in the side.. every time that driver pushes or pulls it will now go out that fan..

If that was an actuall good design, they would have put a heat-sink on the rear to cool the psu & power amplifier.. but they didn't over priced JUNK klipsch has totally gone down hill.

THIS, is how subwoofer amplifers should be, note the heatsink on the back. witch keeps the fet's / psu's cooler..

034-6254.jpg

I don't disagree with that at all, and I know I altered it but the thing is my ear can't hear a difference between what it was and what it is now... This cost me nothing and it works. So i'm cool with it. I would never do this to say my def tec super cube or anything like that, but these are 6+ years old and PC speakers...

This isn't for everyone but for me it works and I know shit won't fry anymore..lol

-Nigel

Here's another thumbs-up for Henry. My Promedia Ultra 5.1 unit developed the hum and I contacted him asking for his repair cost and schedule. He replied in the middle of the night (does anybody sleep around here?) to say he is backed up for a month but suggested some component replacements in case I wanted to attempt a repair myself, which I did and sure enough the hum is gone after replacing the output caps that had apparently failed over time. What I like about Henry is that he sent me, without asking, annotated pics of the main board with arrows to the likely failed components, in additon to thermal cooling options that he recommended.

Here's another thumbs-up for Henry. My Promedia Ultra 5.1 unit developed the hum and I contacted him asking for his repair cost and schedule. He replied in the middle of the night (does anybody sleep around here?) to say he is backed up for a month but suggested some component replacements in case I wanted to attempt a repair myself, which I did and sure enough the hum is gone after replacing the output caps that had apparently failed over time. What I like about Henry is that he sent me, without asking, annotated pics of the main board with arrows to the likely failed components, in additon to thermal cooling options that he recommended.

Him is usually caused by filtering caps. Or a ground loop...

Post the pics he sent ?

Hi there, I just ran across this forum and wanted to ask a question about my Klipsch system. I have a Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 THX, not the ultra model. I've had it for about 10 years now, and it still sounds alright, but there are 2 things that are wrong. 1. I get a pretty bad buzzing hum sound from the satellites, but not all the time. I did get an external Sound Blaster X-fi card, and that helps the hum a lot. Also, my right rear speaker doesn't work. It's not the speaker, I tested that, its the port on the system itself. Is there anything I could do to fix that? Or should I just save up for a new system? I really like the bass that this thing produces - is there an easy way to get a different receiver, running new satellites from that, but still running the Klipsch sub for the bass?

Thanks guys!

I'm having the loud hum too. What did you end up replacing?

This may be a dumb question but has anyone been able to replace the 4 caps by the heatsinks on the main board without removing the daughterbords first? It's a pretty tight fit and I'm not sure my soldering skills are quite steady enough without more disassembly. My sub hums at 60hz, it sounds like a ground loop but I've tried everything besides replacing those caps.

One of the little plastic clip brackets broke on my sub, I think that's called the terminal where the four brackets are?

Is this easily replaceable or should I move on from my Klipsch 2.1?

I can't believe you put a fan on the subwoofer... that hole will change the tune of the enclosure and effect overall bass response/freq.

I'm having the loud hum too. What did you end up replacing?

Just an FYI if you are still having issues with your set. Sybesma’s Electronics in Holland, MI. Does repairs on the klipsch speakers. I sent them the AMP and Control pod from my 5.1 ultras for repair. Repair is a flat $150 fee, but, I figured it was worth it since the only semi comparable set is the Logitech Z906 but from what I've read they've made some major downgrades from the original 5.1 set they had from years ago. smaller sub, less power, etc.

I toyed with the idea of getting a a/v receiver and a separate 5.1 set but the optical port on PC sounds cards doesn't put out true 5.1. To get 5.1 through the optical port you need to monkey with encoders and or if you have certain creative soundcards there's some sort of dolby digital live plugin that will encode the 5.1 stream so it can go out through the optical and your receiver can decode then.

That seemed like too much of a mess to deal with and would still be twice (or more) the price of just getting my Ultras repaired.

My set has been flawless for years but eventually started to get a little hum/buzz no matter what volume the control pod was set to it was the same constant bzzzzz.

Hello all. New member here. Was referred this this place for Promedia Klipsch repair info. Just letting everyone know I sent my Ultra amp to Elliott for repairs, like other have here. He received it on 03/19/13. Will post results as soon as I get it back. Undelayed, I hope. Crossing fingers til then... Also wondering: can anyone comment on their own experience with Elliot? Are there other known Klipsch repairmen on here besides him? Care to share? Thanks..

Hello all. New member here. Was referred this this place for Promedia Klipsch repair info. Just letting everyone know I sent my Ultra amp to Elliott for repairs, like other have here. He received it on 03/19/13. Will post results as soon as I get it back. Undelayed, I hope. Crossing fingers til then... Also wondering: can anyone comment on their own experience with Elliot? Are there other known Klipsch repairmen on here besides him? Care to share? Thanks..

I have heard a few people got burned with Elliot, but I did not personally contact him for my repairs. I had Henry Koch at [email protected] repair my amp. He was fast, provided very detailed info on exactly what he replaced (most of it over my head) and it has performed flawlessly since. I even had him install an 80mm fan to help keep the electronics cool(er) to help avoid issues in the future too. Cost me a little over $100

All I can say is good luck and let us know if you have a positive experience. It's too bad you didn't read this thread in its entirety before sending your amp off, because there have been so many reports of Elliott keeping amps for months and having very poor communication. I'd definitely go with Henry if I had an amp that was in need of repair.

Keep us updated...

Cross your fingers and be patient. Elliot is slow and not much for returning emails or phone calls. I did eventually get my stuff back in mostly working order, but it took months when he said weeks.

But who knows it's been a few years, maybe his work ethic has improved since then. Let us know how it works out.

Back