Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

Not to sound too simplistic; just checking. On the control module, there are adjustment levels for the center and rear speakers. Did you try raising the level on the center speaker?

Has anyone heard anything from Elliot?

I'm posting my experience in the hopes that it motivates him to reach out to me.

I sent Elliot my amp and $116 back in Feb. of 2010. A few months later I asked for an update and he said he would contact me when the work was done.

Fast forward to today. It's been almost a year and a half. I started emailing him two months ago with no reply. I signed up to this forum so I could post him a private message as he seemed responsive to those - again, no reply.

In my effort to be understanding of his long time lines and not to be pushy I think I have allowed him to walk away with my amp and cash. I'm at the point I doubt I will ever see either again.

It is amazingly frustrating and I've even considered investigating small claims court due to the principle of the situation.

So my question to the forum is if anyone has had any recent interaction with him?

So from what I've gathered, there's two guys: Henry and Elliot.

It seems that people are having issues with Elliot. Any other experiences people can share?

I recently sent off a dying ultra to Henry,took 2 -3 weeks,he replaced some 30 components,installed cooling fan etc.(cost 130)
Every e mail was returned within hours, he explained everything he replaced,as far as i,m concerned this guy is the best out there,and so is the Ultra

I just received an used Ultra setup, and it's already had the amp upgraded. The seller claims it was working perfectly when he sent it. But for me, there is a low hum through the sub and all the speakers, as well as through the headphone jack.

I'm pretty experienced with audio stuff, and it sounded like a ground problem. I live in Japan, and the homes here have 100V 50Hz electricity, and houses rarely have ground loops built in. So I ran to the HW store and bought some copper grounding spikes, and a large guage ground wire, and ran a ground line into my room and hooked it up to my high quality Monster Cable "clean power" strip...it's "grounded" light illuminated verifying I had a good ground.

However, the hum didn't change at all :confused: Then I check the back of the amp, and it says 60Hz, instead of the more normal 50/60Hz label of most AC>DC components.

I also tried plugging the amp into a completely separate circuit in the house without anything else running on it, but still get the exact same hum noise . :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

Has anyone considered just removing the HC1011?

Looking at the information and the schematics the end result would be ~45-50 v out on the sat side, more on the sub side, with the extra power merely going to waste in the end.

You lose power protection, but you should then have a working system in the event the HC1011 was the failure ( popping/hissing/all sats out w/ sub working ).

The HC1011 controls output voltage from the dc-dc converter board ( the upright board ). If someone has this failure and has given up on their system, do me a favor and just break that chip off the failed side and give it a try! You should not need to do anything else.

BTW, from what I see the volume would still be properly adjusted, you would just have more potential going to the 5 speaker boards without being utilized. The amperage is the same, but diluted through more volts, so heat buildup shouldn't change.

In the very least removing it should give you a certain idea that replacing it would fix your problem should you suspect it to be the cause...

--The loon

Has anyone heard anything from Elliot?

I'm posting my experience in the hopes that it motivates him to reach out to me.

I sent Elliot my amp and $116 back in Feb. of 2010. A few months later I asked for an update and he said he would contact me when the work was done.

Fast forward to today. It's been almost a year and a half. I started emailing him two months ago with no reply. I signed up to this forum so I could post him a private message as he seemed responsive to those - again, no reply.

In my effort to be understanding of his long time lines and not to be pushy I think I have allowed him to walk away with my amp and cash. I'm at the point I doubt I will ever see either again.

It is amazingly frustrating and I've even considered investigating small claims court due to the principle of the situation.

So my question to the forum is if anyone has had any recent interaction with him?

I joined just to say that i am in the same boat, i sent him my stuff in may and have not heard anything since. I havent really pushed for anything since i am a patient man but.... hmmm that post doesnt help my nerves.

For the love of god, please, no one else send any money to Elliot. You are only asking to be scammed.

I didnt recently check so i guess that is my fault, i read the beginning of this thread and saw lots of good responses so that was why i went that route. I will continue to wait a bit i guess.

Hi ARMYGuy,

Thanks for the feedback.

My update is that I have not heard from Elliot via private message on this site and neither through email. I asked him roughly two weeks ago to refund my money and return the amp, again silence.

Does anyone have any ideas with what to do with the satellite speakers and sub-woofer box? Just because my amp and cash was stolen (at this point, yes, stolen) I'd hate to just throw away rest of the set.

Does anyone have any ideas with what to do with the satellite speakers and sub-woofer box? Just because my amp and cash was stolen (at this point, yes, stolen) I'd hate to just throw away rest of the set.

If you go back a couple of pages in this thread someone linked a BASH subwoofer amp that should be perfect for the sub. Combine that with a decent receiver for the sats and you'll have a system superior tot he original and the ability to upgrade individual components as your budget and taste permits

Hi all, I was part of this thread some time ago, and started repairs on my own gifted dead Promedia 5.1 set. It's been a couple years, and I've forgotten most of what I needed to repair it.

I remember replacing the FETs on the digital converter (BASH section) and a dead resistor on the power supply board, but that's it.

My symptoms have always been the sub will not work, but the satellites work fine. After replacing the FETs on the BASH board, the subs worked for about a minute, but then quit utterly. If left off for a week, and then fired up, the sub will work again for another minute, but that's about it. I will say the new chips helped with clarity. I've read the thompdale site, and sent some info to them in (probably) jan. of 2009. Fast forward a bit longer. Has anyone else had these symptoms, and found a conclusive fix? I'm usually pretty handy with repairing things, but lost time, and really just want to finish this soon, preferably without sending it off to spend $100+ on what I could otherwise do with a touch more knowledge.

I saw the 2.1 BASH amp a couple pages earlier, and it really does look the part of a Klipsch setup, and seems a little short for a 5.1 sub, but would still probably fit. I would consider that as a very last-ditch option, as I have many amps sitting around me...just want to get this working properly again.

Thanks for all your help, people!

Hi,
I just recently sent my amp in to Elliot to be repaired and I'm a bit concerned since I'm in a hurry to get the repair done since I need to move in a little more than a month and a half and he has not answered my emails or answered his listed phone. It's odd that it seemed like it was rather easy to get in touch with him before I sent the amp in but now that I paid him and he has the amp, he apparently becomes unavailable. I'll let you all know (if any are interested) on how everything goes.

I saw the 2.1 BASH amp a couple pages earlier, and it really does look the part of a Klipsch setup, and seems a little short for a 5.1 sub, but would still probably fit. I would consider that as a very last-ditch option, as I have many amps sitting around me...just want to get this working properly again.

Thanks for all your help, people!

Bash 300W Sub Amp

This? Its a sub amp only not a 2.1 amp. You *would need* a seperate receiver/amp for your sats.

Also, yes it probably is a bit short for the existing 5.1 enclosure, you would need to close off the rest of the opening somehow. That said i think it would be a pretty straightforward mod and would restore the sub back to its out-of-the box awesomeness.

Hi,
I just recently sent my amp in to Elliot to be repaired and I'm a bit concerned since I'm in a hurry to get the repair done since I need to move in a little more than a month and a half and he has not answered my emails or answered his listed phone. It's odd that it seemed like it was rather easy to get in touch with him before I sent the amp in but now that I paid him and he has the amp, he apparently becomes unavailable. I'll let you all know (if any are interested) on how everything goes.

Welcome to what happened to all of us it seems. I havent tried calling him but iv read on the Klipsch forums people got him to send the amp back by calling him repeadedly.

I did try to call him but it seems like his phone cuts over to voicemail now whereas just a few weeks ago before I sent the amp in, he was relatively easy to get a hold of. Is this guy then just scamming people's money on Paypal and holding onto the amp unless the person forfeits the money they gave him or what? I wish I had known about Henry before I sent my amp to Elliott. I'm guessing that a trip to Texas may be in order....

Bash 300W Sub Amp

This? Its a sub amp only not a 2.1 amp. You *would need* a seperate receiver/amp for your sats.

Also, yes it probably is a bit short for the existing 5.1 enclosure, you would need to close off the rest of the opening somehow. That said i think it would be a pretty straightforward mod and would restore the sub back to its out-of-the box awesomeness.

Yes, I'd looked at it more closely after I posted...it had looked like a 2.1 with internal sub connection. It also seems the more I look, the more I find that even repaired amps die again, or that these amps are something of a losing battle. I could probably build an aluminum, or even wood plate easily enough, and have some binding posts on the back for a passive sub. At least I don't have much invested in this currently..just the price of a few FETs.

I did try to call him but it seems like his phone cuts over to voicemail now whereas just a few weeks ago before I sent the amp in, he was relatively easy to get a hold of. Is this guy then just scamming people's money on Paypal and holding onto the amp unless the person forfeits the money they gave him or what? I wish I had known about Henry before I sent my amp to Elliott. I'm guessing that a trip to Texas may be in order....

I am in ohio but i actually have a friend that lives a few min from him. If nothing comes from this i might have to have a scouting party take a look, prolly see a warehouse of everyone's amps there lol

I just signed up to this forum to. Read the first two ro three pages of forum and heard about Elliott and how good he was with repairs on Klipsch Amps. E-mail him on June 2nd he replied the sme day with mailng instructions and price $100.00 & $19.45 for return shipping.
He said it would take 20 days to repair plus return shipping time.He recieved my amp on june 8th. Waited to July 1st and e-mail him about my return. He e-mailed me back july 2nd and told me my amp was almost done and he whould be shipping it back July 6th and he would send me the shipping info. No return yet, tried calling phone # on all I can do Is Leave Messages he dosen't return and then it's filled up now ,so you can't even leave nessages anymore. Sent him 4 e-mails asking what the problems are and no response. Should of read all 32 pages of this forum which I did now and seen how he's treated other custemers. Heard about Henrey and fine job he's doing on repair's problbly would have went with him.Hopeing i will get my amp back soon before things get to ugly. I have to say, I tried to give someone a little work to help them make it throug life a little easier for him and his family. Hope he dosnt try to screw me.Will keep you updated wih results as soon as posible. Thank You P.K.

Just a little info for all you do it yourselfers out there(not me),try ebay-promedia ultra,under cooling kit upgrade,so much info for every kind of dying ultra,Henry of course.

Just recieved an e-mail from Elliott on Saturday the 16th saying.
Hi, sorry I missed your previous e-mails, let me get back with you this Monday 18 when I'm at the shop and I could check the status of your amp and let you know what happened.
Regards,
Elliott
Then stubled on this on Klipsch's site,
He's had my amp since end of July. Sent it back once after 2 months worse than it was. I sent it back OCtober 5th with a promised 5 day turn around this time and he's yet to respond to any emails. So he has my money and my broken amp, and it's been over 4 months. Just a note for anyone else going through this, I just got off the phone with the Cedar Hill Police Department. It's ~$200 to file a civil suit so not really worth it, but you can send Elliot a letter via certified mail demanding that he return your functioning amplifier, or your broken amplifier and your money within 10 days. At the same time, send a copy of this letter, along with who you are, contact info, description of your issue, and a copy of the certified letter receipt that you sent to Elliot to the following address: Cedar Hill Police Department 285 Uptown Blvd. Cedar Hill TX, 75104 Wait 10 days. Then if you haven't received your repaired amp, or your broken amp and money back, contact the Cedar Hill Police Department at 972-291-5181. Essentially you have to send this final ultimatum demand letter and prove that you did. Once he doesn't comply, the local authorities will get involved. I'll be sending out my letters tomorrow.

Hope this helps anyone in need,if he dosen't get back to me in the next couple of days I think I'll be sending him and the Cedar Hill Police Department a Certified letter.

Need any contact info on Henry to repair my amp. What's included with upgrade and cooling. Where to ship and cost ? Any help will be appreciated Than You.

I sent an email to him,replyed within hours, he's email is htkclk@ juno.com.
Hope all goes well.

Just got lucky and bought a 7 year old set of 5.1 ultra's today for only $60. Guess the guy just didn't know what he was sellin! I'm worried about the amp though, and am thinking of sending it in to get it repaired//upgraded/refreshed before it breaks. I don't want to start getting hooked on these and then be heartbroken when it breaks, and considering how old they are, that probably wont be that long of a time anyway.

From what I've read so far on the recent posts on this thread, avoid Elliot and go with Henry, correct?

Got my amp back from Henry today. The experience took a week longer because he had misplaced my check. Superb communication all throughout however.

Got it to work!

Shipped on 6/23; arrived to Henry 6/28 > July 4th delay > fix > (took me 2-3 day to actually) mail check > misplaced > received 7/30 today

These sound so fucking good. Be careful when screwing the panel back in, I dulled a original screw hole.

Any suggestions for speaker stands?

Sent from my Klipsch Promedia Ultra

Last edited:
Hi,
I have an update on my amp repair status. I definitely had to have my amp fixed because I will be moving overseas and didn't want to have to deal with the complication of having to relay my new address and deal with possible shipping issues. I gave Elliott some extra cash to expedite the repair and he was able to get the repair done within just a few days of our conversation!
I have no idea how long it would have taken otherwise but after trying to get in touch with him it appeared that he had gone out of town for a few days. That may explain why no one was able to reach him the past few weeks. I imagine he should still be back. I hope that everyone else here has their issue resolved. My amp has been working for the 2 weeks since I received it with no issues whatsoever. Hopefully his repairs with the "military spec" parts will extend the life of the Klipsch amp. Will post if the amp happens to die.

Okay so just today my ProMedia 2.1 stopped working properly. The left channel doesn't work at all(although static comes out of the speaker when I'm snapping/plugging them in if that means anything). I've plugged the satellites through the right channel and both work, so they seem to be working properly. I opened up the back and checked the fuses and they're both fine. Are there any other easy things to check out that could be the source of the problem? I can take pictures of the insides if need be.

I tinkered around with my speakers some more. Found out that using headphones through the main pod work perfectly. Also looked at the board some more and noticed this on the board that connects to the speakers.

http://i.minus.com/ijtjOI.JPG

Any idea what that is and what I would need to fix it?

EDIT: I found that the transistor is a 2sc1815 and the resistor is 82 ohm 1/4 watt. Not sure if a place like radioshack would have these specific parts. I've found the resistors(which I may not need, looks a little burnt on the end) for cheap online but I can't find the transistor at all.

Last edited:
I tinkered around with my speakers some more. Found out that using headphones through the main pod work perfectly. Also looked at the board some more and noticed this on the board that connects to the speakers.

http://i.minus.com/ijtjOI.JPG

Any idea what that is and what I would need to fix it?

EDIT: I found that the transistor is a 2sc1815 and the resistor is 82 ohm 1/4 watt. Not sure if a place like radioshack would have these specific parts. I've found the resistors(which I may not need, looks a little burnt on the end) for cheap online but I can't find the transistor at all.

The transistors are usually standard parts.In fact digikey has some toshiba's that look like they are what you need for $0.62 in low quantites.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&KeyWords=2sc1815&x=0&y=0

You might want to see if the current parts have a longer part number on them as it looks like there are two different variants with different DC gains (otherwise identical though)

I would replace both of those transistors there at the same time (assuming they are the same model currently) as they are often designed to be a fairly closely matched pair.

Oh man, I feel really bummed. My Promedia Ultra 5.1's died today :(

For the last few months it would have a crazy amount of static noise until it "warmed up", but it seemed to be taking longer and longer to warm up over time :(
Was moving this weekend, its hot as shit, and blasting music for 12hrs for 3 days straight completely fucked them up. Turned them on after moving into my new house and now only the sub works

What does Henry charge for his amp repair?? This sucks :(

mine runs fine for 30 secs then no sound from speakers, just a 'muffle' from the sub

can i safely assume this is a heat issue getting ready to fry a few diodes/capacitors just for fun???

i'm on my 2nd amp/sub in8 years...guess i was 'due'...lol

my promedia ultra 5.1 died a week ago.

dsc01298copy.jpg

what do i have to buy to fix the circled part? those three resistors look like burned..:confused:

i checked all the forum but i couldn't find out the numbers on the board for those (like u501, c519 things).

So I've been having issues with my Promedia Ultras for a while and I figure it's time for me to try and fix them ever since I've been on a binge of fixing electronics that weren't performing up to par. At the moment I'm only running them 2.1 and there are two main problems. There could be more with other channels but at the moment 2.1 is adequate for me and I just want to get these issues fixed. There's a lot of information to parse through in this thread so I'm hoping someone might just recognize these issues as common problems and suggest what my possible remedies could be.

1) I get the common intermittent hissing sound coming out of both channels regardless of if they are receiving input or not. From my limited understanding of this issue I think it has something to do with the amp overheating; something about the woofer designed to circulate air more efficiently than it actually does. I don't know if this is true or not but I figure improving cooling can't be too difficult. I just want to be sure that's what causes this problem.

2) The right channel sporadically just goes mute. When I went to investigate the analog connection to the amp I had music playing and while I was pulling one of the wires out the sound came back. This leads me to believe there is possible just poor contact in one of the analog connections on the amp end. Anyway I pulled the wires all the way out and carefully placed them back in and the right speaker started working again, but then started muting on and off. I'm guessing the bass from the woofer is shaking the wire around but I'm not an expert on audio equipment so it's just my best guess. If that is what's causing the issue what would be the best way to fix it? Clip the wire and use a part that hasn't sat in the connection for 7 years? Add something to the end of the wire so it can't move inside the connection?

Those are the only two issues at the moment.

Even if I can't fix them I really won't be too upset about it. They were amazing speakers and I've owned them for about 7 years; bought them junior or senior year of high school, brought them to college, and now I'm two years out of college. They took a fair amount of abuse just being in a college environment so I'm guessing taking it apart and using some canned air to blast dust out of them might solve the overheating problem or at least put it off. They also survived at least half a dozen moves and have been nothing but great until recently. That being said it would be nice to fix them as I certainly have no intention of just throwing these things out. Still if I'm going to have to spend $50-100 on materials or on a repair I might just pick up a good 2.1 system. They won't be anywhere near Klipsch but there are apparently some good 2.1 systems out there for under $100 and pretty much any 2.1 system is better than even the best speakers when they're malfunctioning.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Back