Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

How long did you wait? I sent Elliot my amp 8 months ago. Every email I send asking what's taking so long is answered with some variation of "sorry it will be ready next week".

It took 4 months for me to get mine back. That being said, they do work great again.

Mine took a bit less than a month and a half, a bit longer if you include shipping times, I think. Working really great now; Hopefully they'll last until I'm ready to eventually upgrade to a real HT system, with a Hsu VTF-3 sub in the future...(I want the cans of soup to vibrate off the shelves :)

Got my amp back from Elliot today.
Apparently he tried several times to fix it and couldn't find the problem.So instead of sending back my broken THX amp, he sent me an upgraded Ultra amp at his own expense.
Great guy, the speakers sound good too.

I sent mine out to him and he received it on the 2nd. Said it would take him about 20 days + shipping time back to me to get it fixed.

Hope he gets it done quick so I can get it set up with my projector.

Glad to see Elliott is still helping folks out. My 5.1's that he fixed are still going strong since I started this thread.

Anyone received an amp back from Elliot-tronics lately?

Last e-mail I received from him was about over 2 weeks ago. He said it'd be shipped out sometime that week and I haven't gotten a reply from him since when I've tried to contact him...

Quite frustrating considering he was always quick to reply to stuff when setting up the repair agreement and invoice and now not so much.

I have been trying to reach Elliot for about 3 weeks now and have not received any response either. I've sent at least 4 - 5 emails with no response. He has had money and my Amp now for about 2 months. I am trying to remain positive as a lot of people have had a lot of good things to say. I hope that he will make contact soon and send the repaired amp back to me soon.

How long has he had your amp?

Anyone received an amp back from Elliot-tronics lately?

Last e-mail I received from him was about over 2 weeks ago. He said it'd be shipped out sometime that week and I haven't gotten a reply from him since when I've tried to contact him...

Quite frustrating considering he was always quick to reply to stuff when setting up the repair agreement and invoice and now not so much.

I have been trying to reach Elliot for about 3 weeks now and have not received any response either. I've sent at least 4 - 5 emails with no response. He has had money and my Amp now for about 2 months. I am trying to remain positive as a lot of people have had a lot of good things to say. I hope that he will make contact soon and send the repaired amp back to me soon.

How long has he had your amp?

Sorry guys, I was having some family problems..I'm back and ready to help again.
Please P.M me your name and e-mail and I will give you an update with your amp status..I shipped out 10 amps today, maybe yours was on the list.
Elliott

I got my amp repaired by elliot and it seems to be holding up fine, although it does get very hot which worries me

Does anyone want a 5.1 ultra sub? I have an extra non-working one. Replaced fuse and blew on power up so I assume it's the amp. I can ship it straight to elliot, you pay for repairs from elliot + $100 to me.

Got mine back, much appreciated.

I got my amp repaired by elliot and it seems to be holding up fine, although it does get very hot which worries me

I think even with the upgrades, it'll still run hot. Elliot just changes out parts on the ICs with ones that can function and not blow at high temps.

I'm still having trouble with mine though.

Maybe Elliot or someone else here can give me some feedback on what might be going on?

Basically, at times it seems like the satellites are going in and out and I only hear really muddled stuff coming from the sub and not clear, crisp treble that I know the satellites can put out. Can't seem to get the rear ones to even work at all either...

Is this still an amp issue or something with the satellites? How would I go about figuring out if it's the satellites going bad? Although I've read that the satellites tend to be fine and last a very long time.

Last edited:
It could be a sound card issue. And if you are using a Creative card try resetting it, just go to its settings in the software and switch from 5.1 to 2.1 and back to 5.1 channels and let me know if that works.

I got my Amp back from Elliot and it seems to be working fine. I'm happy so far. I wish the communication would have been much better, but I'm happy that I now have a working amp again.

I just received my amp back from Elliott and it (the sub unit) seems significantly louder (deeper?) than it was even when it used to work fine. I was actually noticing the kitchen counter, the STOVE and the microwave door vibrating when i cranked up the sub to 80 (50% in x-fi panel) and it never did that when I first moved here (back when everything still worked). Using my favorite computer subwoofer test: Diablo cathedral level ripped music. I actually couldn't even find what was rattlling for a bit (i mean come on, the wood from the kitchen counter rattling? never knew a sub could do that!) +1 recommendation for Elliott for repairs and a BETTER sounding system than before if you don't have the technical skills or electrical experience to work around PSU amps (and my stepfather used to do work like this before he passed--it's NOT easy at all).

Exactly why I got one of these. Literally earthshaking bass. You don't see many systems in this price range that do 25Hz on the low end. This was an awesome system! Until it died. First time was 6 months after getting it. Alas, I then saw the plight of other owners difficulties with the poorly designed cabinet. No ventilation = fried parts. I returned mine to Klipsch first. Came back, worked fine for another 6 months then about half the bass went away. With the bass this puppy kicks out, that was kind of endurable. I'd heard good things about Elliot on the Klipsch forums, so when the bass completely disappeared today I knew who to look up. Glad to see he has come to other forums to offer his services and not stayed on their forum. I'm ready to send mine off and hope he can restore it to it's original thumpingness. I read he adds some fans inside as well to help keep it cool. Be sending him an email for instructions on where to ship shortly...

I sent mine to him on May 12th and still waiting for it on its return. On June 4th he said it would be ready in a week with a tracking number. Its now June 24th and i am still waiting. I sent him an email the other day but no response.

I'm sure hes does solid work based on all the reviews i have read from this forums and others but his communication needs to be better if there are delays. I was told at the time i sent it that the turnaround time was 20 days. I am going on 45 days now.

Guess i will have to wait a bit longer.

I sent my 5.1 Ultra amp to Elliot-Tronics in early may with a promise of a repair and return in 20 business days. To date, I have not received the amp or responses to my emails or phone call. Just wondering if anyone has heard from Elliot or received a repaired Amp recently?

Here is a quick question for you guys, may or may not be related.

I have the Klipsh 5.1 either pro or ultra I can't really remember. Anyways, once I turn the speakers past 50, I get a high pitched sound coming through. I was using my audigy 2 gamer, but had to take that out and I'm using onboard sound now.

It seems they are losing volume over time. To listen to a TV show on hulu I have to set it to 60, all windows/hulu volume options set to full.

Is this a problem with the amp, or is it a normal issue with these speakers?

Hi, guys I already spoke or sent e-mails to theheel & ribon6168 and got your amps on their way..

I don't know who is icEMage so if you can send me a private message with your name and e-mail so I can check on your amp,

Also just so all of you know the 20 day return is just an estimate and I return 80% of the amps I receive in less that 20 business days, if your amp is delayed is because sometimes I have to order extra parts or your amp is difficult to repair and it takes a while longer, also I try to reply to all the e-mails I get but if I don't reply to you is because I'm very busy fixing amps so please be patient, I will get every amp I receive back to its owner and in great working order.

You can also try calling me but please note that I'm very busy and may not answer the phone but you can leave a voice message and usually return it within a day..

Elliott

elliot-tronics--

How much is is amp repair? and where you are located so i can guesstimate shipping cost?
I have an extra dead 5.1 ultra sub that im considering fixing. Been trying to sell it but no one seems to want a dead sub. Maybe ill fix it and then sell it or maybe you want it?

elliot-tronics--

How much is is amp repair? and where you are located so i can guesstimate shipping cost?
I have an extra dead 5.1 ultra sub that im considering fixing.

I'd like to know also. I have a 4.1 sub that needs to be fixed.

Hey guys, my ultra system went out on a date and came back with no voice, I mean everything was fine and just all of a sudden no more sound, headphones work fine through the controller, though. I read some threads on klipsch's site and ran quickly through this thread and it seems that most of your setups went dead gradually. Mine just pooped instantly, but I hope it's "only" the amp, I haven't opened it up yet but I will when I get a chance and will try to wiggle the chip as I read it helps sometimes temporarily.
I bought this system same month it came out :(

How can I tell what part is broken?
I was looking at the other guy's thread where he fixed his 4.1's.
I'm looking at the 5.1 ultra amp now and there's no burn marks or fucked up caps or resistors. I bought a bunch of new fuses and put in a new one. It blew and smoked immediately when I tried to power it up. Is this even fixable?
I'm low on cash right now so I'd rather not pay to fix it since I still have one working one. Someone take it off my hands for cheap and have elliot fix it for you!!

Last edited:
Elliott - Any update on my amp and control pod? I 100% understand you're very busy, but you haven't responded to my last couple of emails and you've had the amp since the end of April. Your last message to me on 5/28 said it would be "ready sometime next week". We're now getting close to the 3 month mark. I really appreciate what you are doing for us Promedia owners that have been stranded by the company, but I'm just starting to get a little worried. I figured this was a good place to reach out since you've been posting here recently.

Jeff in MA

Elliott - Any update on my amp and control pod? I 100% understand you're very busy, but you haven't responded to my last couple of emails and you've had the amp since the end of April. Your last message to me on 5/28 said it would be "ready sometime next week". We're now getting close to the 3 month mark. I really appreciate what you are doing for us Promedia owners that have been stranded by the company, but I'm just starting to get a little worried. I figured this was a good place to reach out since you've been posting here recently.

Jeff in MA
\\

Hi, yes you sent me a 4.1 amp and is ready, I'll send it back to you this week and e-mail you the tracking # soon, sorry I did not reply but your e-mail went to my spam folder and I just marked you down on my safe list.
Elliott

I had a 4.1 Klipsch system, loved the sound, but something happened about 8 months ago where I got rid of them completely.

In the seven years of ownership prior to that, I only replaced the control pod due to a noisy volume control. Never had any trouble with the amp at all.

Anyhow, what happened was this:
After moving to a new place, the computer was unpacked and setup on the second or third day. When I hooked up the pro-medias, I notced static coming from the front-left channel. The static got louder as the volume increased, so I was a bit disappointed as something likely went wrong during the move. It was around 10:30 at night; I didn't want to get started trying to identify the problem then, so I just decided to sleep on it and maybe take a look at things in the morning. I remember turning the volume down to nothing, but I don't think I turned the power off - not something I was in the habit of then.

Somwhere around 2:00 am, a blood curdling, extremely loud and sudden noise woke the wife and I up instantly, scaring us half to death. The closest I can describe it as would be an air raid siren that had just peaked and was starting to wind down - except it was not decreasing in volume -it just kept going - screeching and unbelieveable levels.

Now you can try to imagine, 2 days in a new place, sound asleep and then suddenly awakened by this ungodly noise in the middle of the night. It was louder than any fire alarm or anything of the sort I've ever heard. Being that it was the middle of the night I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was NOIIIISE !!! and that the noise had to stop. I didn't care if the building was on fire, if someone was breaking in, if the nuclear power plant was exploding or the commies were coming, the noise had to stop.

So the only logical thing was physical violence upon the source of the noise. Except I had no idea what was creating it. I could only think that it was an alarm, but it didn't sound like an alarm, it was way louder than an alarm should have been. So I just started hitting things blindly, the closest thing to me was a book on the nightstand, so it became a weapon. The sound was so loud I couldn't source it - so things just got hit at random. I have no idea what all I hit, but eventually I became coherant enough to put it together that the noise was coming from the computer speaker - the rear left one. And yeah, I disconnected it and foooomph, silence.

My wife was scared out of her wits, just standing in the middle of the room shaking in shock. Not even able to cover her ears. It took forever to calm her down, I unplugged the computers, the speakers and I had to assure her that I was now sure the the speakers had somehow made that noise.

We didn't get any more sleep that night. On top of my heart racing, the smell from the cooked speaker was attrocious. Whatever the frak that was, I was too worried it would happen again. I didn't care about losing the speakers, something exploding, or what. I just knew that I could not listen to that sound again. Ever.

So that was the end of my Klipsch 4.1s. I'm sure I could have got whatever it was fixed. But even at that, I wouldn't be able to trust them again. Ever. And I refused to risk that noise happening again. It only lasted 15-20 seconds, but that was a helluva long time when you're in a new place and sound asleep.

Obviously, something went wrong with the electronics, but I've never heard of anything like this happening before, and I've not been able to find out much about it despite a few google searches. There's a good bit of knowledge in this thread though, so I thought I'd relate it here and see if someone knows what might have gone on.

I've replaced the Klipsch speakers with a set of Logitech G51s. Nice to have the 5.1, but I certainly miss the sound of the proMedias.

I just cracked up reading that story.

I had a pair of 5.1 promedias, the original ones. The volume control on it was so touchy that it would sometimes jump up to max volume without anyone even near it. Always a nice surprise when you're gaming late at night and trying not wake anyone up.

While they were pretty good for computer speakers, being a former owner of the 2.1s, I can tell you that it is NOT a shame that they stopped making them. They aren't worth fixing. Step up to some real speakers if you're bothered about the quality of computer speakers.

For those of us who have no interest in setting up a dedicated receiver, they're about the best you could get.

I sent my 5.1 Ultra amp to Elliot-Tronics in early may with a promise of a repair and return in 20 business days. To date, I have not received the amp or responses to my emails or phone call. Just wondering if anyone has heard from Elliot or received a repaired Amp recently?
Update: I received my 5.1 Ultra Amp from Elliot yesterday. As promised all is working like new! Thank you Elliot.

For those reading this thread you will notice 2 obvious messages: 1) Elliot is the man to fix your Klipsch amp, and 2) Elliot is busy and is earning a poor reputation on the communications front.

Words of advice. Send Elliot your amp for repair. After sending your amp, do not try contacting Elliot via email. For a quick response, either call him or post a question on this thread.

Everything I've read and seen leads me to believe that the issue isn't just heat but heat cycles. For instance the mil-spec stuff Elliot is using may very well be fine at 90c for untold hours but after heating up and cooling off thousands of times issues will occur. A 60c delta (it may actually be less but its still more than I'd ever let my CPU or GPU experience regularly) is pretty harsh.

Solder is definitely a prime failure point for heat cycles related failure and is likely something in common between Elliots moddded boards and the factory units. Ultimately any long term fix needs to reign in the maximum temp the boards reach.

My solution was cheap and compact but mildly compromised the sound quality. For the record no component death or chuffing. Still have high harmonics but its extremely directional, I just point the fan hoile away from me.

The next cheapest solution, have you the space, would be to build an actively cooled enclosure for the amp and simply run longer wires to the sub (cover the amp hole with metal/wood, etc - better potential acoustic properties of new material might *improve* sub sound!)

For maximum [H] bragging rights just water cool the SOB. A simple heat pump with a cold radiator inside and a hot one outside (maybe next to your AC vent or hanging out your window in the winter) would probably keep the inside air reasonable.

For those of us who have no interest in setting up a dedicated receiver, they're about the best you could get.

Exactly.

The original ProMedia's were some of the best dedicated computer speakers out there. I still have my 2.1s and they sound great for what they are. Do they sound as good as some dedicated monitors with a good amp, no, but thanks for pointing out the obvious, dandragonrage. The only problem I've had with mine was a crackling volume control. Easily fixed by cleaning the attenuator.

Exactly.

The original ProMedia's were some of the best dedicated computer speakers out there. I still have my 2.1s and they sound great for what they are. Do they sound as good as some dedicated monitors with a good amp, no, but thanks for pointing out the obvious, dandragonrage. The only problem I've had with mine was a crackling volume control. Easily fixed by cleaning the attenuator.

unfortunately, right after I posted that, at the 3 year mark, my amp died :(

time for a receiver.

My amp arrived back from Elliott today. Man is it nice to have them back up and working. They sound great. A big thanks to Elloitt.

On a side note I did get worried a bit when I first fired them back up. The right rear channel had a lot of crackle and was about half the volume of the left rear. Come to find out the rear speaker cable, running form the PC to the amp, is bad. Others might want to check their cables as well before sending the amp off for repair. The amp was dead as the sub was not producing sound but checking the cables can't hurt.

Just sent my amp and control pod to Elliott today. Hope to get it back in 3 weeks or so. Really looking forward to having the system back up and running.......

Elliott, do you have an update on the amp repair for Kenny in NY? I can appreciate that you do this in your spare time and it's a lot of work, but you haven't replied to my last few e-mails, so I figured I'd give it a shot on here and hope for the same luck some others have had.

I haven't seen my poor amp in over two months, which is a while longer than the 30-business day estimate I got from you back in May. I'm actually a different address, now, so let me know the best way to send that to you privately. Thanks!

Back