Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

shoot an email to Henry. htkclk@juno.com

Not sure if he's still doing but he did mine just last year, right when covid hit. fixed up my dead 5.1 ultra amp. running like a champ now. paid to have the active cooling fan added so shouldn't have any burnout problems, which is basically what kills these amps. too much heat and it bakes the components dry most of the time.

They really are nice speakers, but when this set eventually goes I'm probably going to just move to some studios that have LFE output, I really only use my 5.1ultras in a 2.1 fashion anyhows.

https://www.kantoaudio.com/products/

you can usually get these Kanto's reasonable and beauty is they have LFE output which like %95 of studios don't have.

cathode

2[H]4U
After all these years I still have the satellite speakers. I need to dig them out and pair them with something compatible.

Not sure if he's still doing but he did mine just last year, right when covid hit. fixed up my dead 5.1 ultra amp. running like a champ now. paid to have the active cooling fan added so shouldn't have any burnout problems, which is basically what kills these amps. too much heat and it bakes the components dry most of the time.

They really are nice speakers, but when this set eventually goes I'm probably going to just move to some studios that have LFE output, I really only use my 5.1ultras in a 2.1 fashion anyhows.

you can usually get these Kanto's reasonable and beauty is they have LFE output which like %95 of studios don't have.
Hi,
It has been some years since I posted. I am still doing ProMedia repairs (begun in October 2005). 2020 saw three big improvements: a) an engineer (initials JH; not sure if he wants privacy) helped me develop replacements for the ceramic BASH HC1011 boards that become intermittent. About 1/3 of recent repairs are due to one or both ceramic BASH boards failing--distortion, no voltage, intermittent, or too high voltage. b) the same, generous engineer helped me develop a replacement daughter board for the power supply (AC-DC converter board). The original daughter boards have components sitting at 185 degrees and will char and fail if there is no fan over them, and an undersized resistor changes value until it silences the system. c) I switched to using Noctua fans. These 150,000 hour fans are quiet and so durable. With these improvements, plus upgrading fourteen other vulnerable capacitors, resistors, a transistor and two diodes, the ProMedia 5.1 can be enjoyed for many more hours. People do reach me also via ebay (Stpeteshepherd), but then I am obligated to go through ebay, and the price is higher with their up-to-13% fees included.
Unfortunately, even as consumer video has improved by leaps--higher resolution, more vibrant colors and greater contrast, home audio has gone the other direction--toward cheaper, portable systems that produce distortion levels which years ago would have been an embarrassment. 20 years after the ProMedia 5.1 came out, it holds a welcome place in many homes.
Henry

rykon9

n00b

Thank you for the recommendations, I originally had them fixed by Henry. They broke again after that, I was hoping that Henry might be still around. I have been collecting started with Klipsch Promodia 2.1(sold), 4.1(Sold), then 5.1 ultras(Still have), Logitech z5500s(Still have) and now I have Vanatoos both versions encores and zeros site URL: https://vanatoo.com/ .

VoodooRufus

Weaksauce
Yeah. I had Henry (stpeteshepherd) fix my amp for the third and last time. Had the BASH chips upgraded to his own home grown ones now, too. Been working fine for a few months now.

rykon9

n00b
Henry told me about his new fixes, I can't wait to get him to look at mine and fix it with his new repair ideas.

ynohtna

n00b
Hi,
It has been some years since I posted. I am still doing ProMedia repairs (begun in October 2005). 2020 saw three big improvements: a) an engineer (initials JH; not sure if he wants privacy) helped me develop replacements for the ceramic BASH HC1011 boards that become intermittent. About 1/3 of recent repairs are due to one or both ceramic BASH boards failing--distortion, no voltage, intermittent, or too high voltage. b) the same, generous engineer helped me develop a replacement daughter board for the power supply (AC-DC converter board). The original daughter boards have components sitting at 185 degrees and will char and fail if there is no fan over them, and an undersized resistor changes value until it silences the system. c) I switched to using Noctua fans. These 150,000 hour fans are quiet and so durable. With these improvements, plus upgrading fourteen other vulnerable capacitors, resistors, a transistor and two diodes, the ProMedia 5.1 can be enjoyed for many more hours. People do reach me also via ebay (Stpeteshepherd), but then I am obligated to go through ebay, and the price is higher with their up-to-13% fees included.
Unfortunately, even as consumer video has improved by leaps--higher resolution, more vibrant colors and greater contrast, home audio has gone the other direction--toward cheaper, portable systems that produce distortion levels which years ago would have been an embarrassment. 20 years after the ProMedia 5.1 came out, it holds a welcome place in many homes.
Henry
Is it for real? Still going? My dead pro-media 5.1 ultra's have been moving with me from place to place for 15 years? If I remember well, they had the humming issue, and may have stopped. I was eager to repair it on my own one day.

Just this weekend I was looking at sound bars. Then I remember I have these ultra's in my crawl space still lol and did a casual search cause I remember many years ago wanting to get them fixed... then this thread pops up and it's alive and well lol. Amazing.

I'm in Canada so it's not economical to get it shipped for repairs but is the EBay package for real? Get all the parts swapped out and voila? I wouldn't do it myself anymore, but I think I have a buddy who could.

3car

n00b
I've kept this thread 'favorited' for years; I knew I would one day need it. I just hope that Henry's services are still available.

My 4.1 system started going downhill 15 years ago; still usable but suffered from the crackly muffled problems. They still worked but the February rolling blackouts, in Texas, finished them off. Ditto for my 5.1 system ; that hum was just getting louder and louder. I hope they can be repaired. Those blackouts and power surges ruined a lot of stuff not just speakers.

I bought a new 2.1 system from Klipsch to hold me over until I can have my 5.1 and 4.1 systems repaired. The 2.1 just isn't the system the other two are. Still, there are much better than other speakers at their price point. Much better.

I bought the 4.1 system in the late 90's and the 5.1 in the early aughties. I also had the 4.2 but my son took it to college.

These little Klipsch systems are just great small-room setups.