Klipsch Promedia 5.1's - Amp repair

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by AARGH!, Jan 29, 2008.

1. stpeteshepherd

stpeteshepherd n00bie

Just a courtesy heads up: I am still repairing Klipsch's ProMedia 5.1. This thread has not been very active recently, so I get emails asking if I am available.
    As others have noted in past years on this thread, my contact email with juno is correct. Not sure if I may post my own email address. (This is my first post on hardforum).
    I have used thousands of Nichicon and Panasonic low impedance/ESR electrolytic capacitors for the power supplies with excellent results, but now after a dozen years repairing ProMedia 5.1s, I am exploring the option of using audio grade capacitors from pF through uF sizes.
    Henry

2. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook [H]ardForum Junkie

Funny thing is. I have a ProMedia set that I've sort of pieced together. And I believe the subwoofer is not outputting to the speakers. The sub works fine for bass though. I might get some cracks from the speakers, but overall... nothing. Would love to get this fixed.

3. stpeteshepherd

stpeteshepherd n00bie

There are a few typical causes for the satellite speakers to not work--from as simple as a failing 2N5551 transistor or 22v zener diode, to replacing a ceramic BASH HC1011 module (sometimes it will make noise or be intermittent). I am still brand new to this forum, so I am not yet familiar with how to go about helping you further. You can find my juno email listed by others previously. Not sure if it would look like seeking business to provide it here.

4. ShepsCrook

I think I found your juno (Wow so you're the one person still using juno) email. :)

5. stag3

stag3 Limp Gawd

nope he's not, i still have a juno as well, i for the life of me cannot find out how to delete that account so i left it alone

anyways, i found henry on this very thread by googling klipsch 5.1 ultra repair and contacted him (did not remember i contacted him a few years ago and forgot i did to ask)
    shipped my amp to him, the repairs were extensive and i should have it back next tuesday.
    he did notate the "repairs" that elliot-tronics did hahahahah

communication was A+, emails were clear and listed everything he repaired/swapped out.

can't wait to get it back, been probably 5 years + since they last worked. i had them repaired twice and everytime they died again within 6mos-1year.
    once by klipsch when they repaired (before sybesma or whatever), and once by elliot. i gave up at that point and shelved them until now.

i'll report back once i'm using them again, and 6+ mos later after extensive use if i can remember to.

6. ShepsCrook

Henry has mine right now and he's been pretty good with communication. I'm curious where my repair stands.

7. stag3

stag3 Limp Gawd

received it back today, fired it up and it's good to have the system working again after years
    don't hesitate to work with Henry everyone.

8. jimharr18

jimharr18 n00bie

Hey guys, first post here. I just ran into a problem with my Promedia 5.1 Ultra's yesterday. I bought these brand new probably in 2003 and have NEVER considered looking into any other speakers for my pc, so if I can get them fixed I'd be very happy. What happened was I was doing some cable management in my office where my pc is, and while playing music through my speakers from my pc, I disconnected the right rear channel, not really thinking, or thinking anything could happen. Well, that did something. Sound is incredibly low and distorted. My left front speaker barely makes any audio. The speaker is good as I tested it on my home theater setup, no issues there.

I took apart the sub, the fuse looked intact and good. Wasn't broken or burned or anything. I didn't see any burned areas anywhere on the boards (though I didn't look TOO crazy close at everything), nor did I smell anything. All the speaker wires are properly connected, as is the connection to my computer. I tried connecting my phone to the control box, same audio issue. Headphones work fine though from the control box.

Here's a link to a video I took last night, I couldn't really turn the sound up as my 2 kids were sleeping. But even at this level, sound should have been clear and loud.

Just for reference, I typically leave the speakers at level 55 and use the windows volume to adjust. When music was playing it was pretty low in windows, but the speakers were set to 55 which is pretty loud for them. Any help is greatly appreciated. I feel it's something with the amp or power supply, which seeing these are a quality speaker system can be fixed. I just put in a help ticket with Klipsch.

9. Volkswagen

Volkswagen [H]ardness Supreme

Anyone in here fix ProMedia 2.1's- if so PM me please.

10. stag3

stag3 Limp Gawd

1 mos check in, repaired 5.1 ultras are working fine w/o any issues :D

i'm not sure if he repairs 2.1's, he may, just shoot henry an email