Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras - $199 @ Bestbuy

Looks like an everyday price since it doesnt say its on a sale. Not a bad deal.

WOW this is hawt I paid a lot more a ways back they must have a newer model coming out or something.

Yeah.. mine were $360. Unfortunately many have amp problems. Mine has just had problems with one control module after another, cable keeps shorting. I've been through 2 in a year.. and rather than buying a third I just wiggle this one when I'm only receiving bass or nothing at all. The sound on them when they're working appropriately, however, is great.

I'm ready for a new klipsch product.

Awesome. I had my set for 1.5 year +? and still going strong no issues. Maybe im just lucky :D

Ok, any thread that says z-5500 vs promedia vs gigaworks or w/e, link them this.... !!!

Great Deal!!!!! holycow

Man, I wonder if I ought to sell my Z-2300e's for these...right now I don't have room for 5.1, but for a college dorm (next fall) they'd own.

yes do it!!!!! this is probably the cheapest it is gonna get for new sets!!! Maybe they are lowering the prices because they are coming out with a new set of multimedia system!!! YAH!

Hot deal, but 2x Promedia 2.1s shipped from eBay for ~$135 (practically new) without amp problems FTW! :D

Oh4Sh0 said:
Yeah.. mine were $360. Unfortunately many have amp problems. Mine has just had problems with one control module after another, cable keeps shorting. I've been through 2 in a year.. and rather than buying a third I just wiggle this one when I'm only receiving bass or nothing at all. The sound on them when they're working appropriately, however, is great.

I'm ready for a new klipsch product.

DO YOUR RESEARCH.

As Oh4Sh0 said, many have amp problems. Mine crashed and burned after 2 years. Check Klipsch's own forum for amp issues. Many people have had theirs die after only a year or less. The speakers are well regarded but they are of no use if the pre-amp is fried.

BTW, someone will always say "had mine for 2 years and they work great". That's fine but virturally everybodys set should be working after 2 years and many are dying with the same problem.

Klipsch Forums

EDIT: I forgot to add that this amp issue appears to affect only the Promedia 5.1 and Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers.

They're great speakers until they blow. I had mine for a little over 2 years and something blew out in the subwoofer. Great speakers, but unreliable.

I had looked at Klipsch and Monsoon years ago (around 4 or so) and I went with the Monsoon MM-2000s, and I'm glad I did. For those who don't remember, the Monsoons have the flat surround speakers. After all this time, with kids and cats knocking the surround speakers off the desk onto the floor countless times, the speakers are just as crisp and clear as when I got them.

I have a set of 4.1's that I've had for the last 5 years now and these speakers still rock. I am so damn tempted to pick these up I must resist.

just a grain of salt for prospective buyers: all products have a certain failure rate...it may seem like a lot of people having problems, but it cant be all of them or else Klipsch would be outta business from trying to replace them all. OR they would be hit with a class action suit for selling shoddy goods (Iomega and Toshiba learned this lesson :p )

Not to say a particular product will or wont fail, but you cant completely base a purchase off what people on a forum somewhere say...I had a rockford amp that blew 3 times in one year, my buddy had the same amp run strong with no issues until a car accident....does that mean Rockford sucks?

if my Logitech 680's weren't still going strong, I'd look at them..i like having a DTS/Dolby decoder :/

Logitech's are great and the built in decoder is great for use with any non-computer device (since sound cards decode before sending to the amp anyway)... But the sound quality just cant compete with Klipsch. Their Bass is off and they just cant sound as clear and crisp as the Klipsch.

I've had my Promedia 5.1 (pre-ultra) for 5+ years now, and they're still goin strong. I bought mine right after the amp controversy the first time around when they claimed to have fixed the issue-- apparently in my case they did. :)

i have the promedia 4.1 in my room .. the living room shuttle box MCE2k5 is hooked up to the promedia 5.1 ultras .. with the plasma theyre hot

maademperor said:
just a grain of salt for prospective buyers: all products have a certain failure rate...it may seem like a lot of people having problems, but it cant be all of them or else Klipsch would be outta business from trying to replace them all. OR they would be hit with a class action suit for selling shoddy goods (Iomega and Toshiba learned this lesson :p )

Not to say a particular product will or wont fail, but you cant completely base a purchase off what people on a forum somewhere say...I had a rockford amp that blew 3 times in one year, my buddy had the same amp run strong with no issues until a car accident....does that mean Rockford sucks?

I went through 2 sets in a month. Klipsch promedia ultras are INCREDIBLY unreliable, i'd say they are a factory defective product by nature. Klipsch doesnt go out of business because they vast majority of their income comes from high-price and high-markup home theater speakers. Also they charge an arm and a leg for repair of the Promedias if they are out of the warranty period.

i returned my promedias (both sets) to best buy and bought a much better system instead (in my signature)

just bought a pair and well tell you if there is anything wrong with them.

maademperor said:

This isn't a typical failure rate though. I had my 5.1 system replaced 3 years ago, and it appears my sub has died once again. So I'm about to send mine off and pay for repairs. My roommate has also had his die once before. Check out the Klipsch forums, the failure rate is not so much of a matter of if, it's when.

Klipsch's other products are great. Unfortunately, they still haven't fixed a bad design flaw in the 5.1s. I'm hoping their next product line will be much better designed/tested.

I currently own a pair of 4.1's that have served me 4+ years of great use. I just ordered the 5.1's at 330AM this morning... Heres to luck... :eek:)

maademperor said:

Yeah, some people won't listen no matter what. It's not like anyone said Klipsch makes bad products. Its just the amp in one product line that seems be failing. AFAIK there are not any significant problems with other products. I liked my Ultras - while they were working. I don't think Klipsch even makes the amp.

eurin said:
This isn't a typical failure rate though. I had my 5.1 system replaced 3 years ago, and it appears my sub has died once again. So I'm about to send mine off and pay for repairs.

eurin, I was going to pay to get mine repaired but instead I bought a Dayton 12" sub and an Onkyo SR-503 receiver for a total of $275 shipped and kept the Klipsch speakers. So much better. Should have gone with a real setup instead of "computer audio" right from the start. The one good thing about the Promedias is the speakers.

I highly recommend forgoing the repair route if possible. If not, check the Klipsch site. I think some clever guy figured out the component that needs replacement if you're handy with a soldering iron. ;)

I feel like I got burned on the Ultras because I paid $399 when they came out :rolleyes: (I feel dumb just typing it) and they lasted 2 years and a week. But I got a good deal on the Dayton and Onkyo thru FatWallet so it sort of evened out since I have a better setup now.

okay, I dont work for klipsch so i cant attest to the failure rate, but honestly, if you and so many others are being shafted, get a lawyer. The practice of selling defective goods is illegal and provable if the failure rates are high enough (and no recall/auto replacement is offered). Before anyone tries to flame, I'm not being a smart ass. If the failure rate were truely exorbitant (and all curiously outside the warranty period) then the law is on your side, thats why companies do recalls...HP and Dell do it with their notebooks I've worked with, car companies do it, hell even Abit was replacing mobos due to bad caps a few years back.

edit
in re-reading my posts, it looks like I'm saying that these products DO NOT FAIL. Thats not what I'm saying. I just feel like the failure rate isnt something crazy like 80% as some folks seem to think...

maademperor said:
okay, I dont work for klipsch so i cant attest to the failure rate, but honestly, if you and so many others are being shafted, get a lawyer. The practice of selling defective goods is illegal and provable if the failure rates are high enough (and no recall/auto replacement is offered). Before anyone tries to flame, I'm not being a smart ass. If the failure rate were truely exorbitant (and all curiously outside the warranty period) then the law is on your side, thats why companies do recalls...HP and Dell do it with their notebooks I've worked with, car companies do it, hell even Abit was replacing mobos due to bad caps a few years back.

edit
in re-reading my posts, it looks like I'm saying that these products DO NOT FAIL. Thats not what I'm saying. I just feel like the failure rate isnt something crazy like 80% as some folks seem to think...

LOL. I assume you're from America. If you are you should know that class-action lawsuits are started by lawyers not victims. Do you honestly believe anyone is going to take the time to meet with lawyers giving depositions to collect a few pennies on the dollar on a $399 purchase? Most people have lives.

I'm calling Jacoby & Myers to fight back!

No flame intended, but if you have no experience with these, why are you posting?

Looks like they are back in stock. I think I'll give them a try as my Creative Megaworks 510D's just stopped working (won't even turn on even after replacing the fuse).

ditto to ^

but w/ all the posts about their premature failure, i wonder if i should bite on this deal.

digitalxdna said:
ditto to ^

but w/ all the posts about their premature failure, i wonder if i should bite on this deal.

i have a pair, no problem whatsoever

i heard their warranty service is great

i've had my 5.1's for almost 3 years now, no problems at all
my ProMedia v.2-400 still run right now, they do make that
scratchy noise when adjusting the volume, but it's not that bad
and i can live with it since they are ~6 years old right now.

MrSteel74 said:
I have a set of 4.1's that I've had for the last 5 years now and these speakers still rock. I am so damn tempted to pick these up I must resist.
Same here. I've had my 4.1's for almost 5 years and they've served me well. I'm picking up the 5.1's on the way home from work.

another reason to not bite on this deal: still OOS, online and local pick-up.
will revisit this when local stores have them available.

Aha im also one of those people. Picked them up from bestbuy the day they went on sale and no problems yet. boomer is going great shakes and rattles the room just fine.

Looks like I won't be jumping on this deal. Shipping is $55 to get it here and not a single store in the state has them in stock. I went through the entire list of states and the only state that had them listed in stock was Texas and that was only one store.

Today is the 1st time I've seen them in stock on the BB site in a few weeks (at the $199 price). Hopefully, restocking in stores will begin soon.

It will be interesting to see if the price remains at $199, once restocking occurs...

Back