Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras - $199 @ Bestbuy

hey no kidding. Totally didnt realize the firewire was gone until you posted it. But ya it is gone from the xfi faceplate.

Stupid creative products. I cant wait till another company started making soundcards for computers that are also good for mulitmedia like movies and games. :confused:

noesis said:
hey no kidding. Totally didnt realize the firewire was gone until you posted it. But ya it is gone from the xfi faceplate.

Stupid creative products. I cant wait till another company started making soundcards for computers that are also good for mulitmedia like movies and games. :confused:

There's other companies such as realtek and turtle beach santa cruz. The problem is that they lack the same support creative labs has aka they haven't been here since the dawn of computing like creative labs but they also suck more cpu resources, they are great cards don't get me wrong. Only way I notice is that I looked at a picture at an online store, I thought I was going a little wonkers since It's something that's always been there. I think large part is because USB 2.0 has beaten it at speed, and also the fact that Apple's are becoming more like pc's such as the move to intel processors, fire wire was an apple trait. It doesen't bother me much since I don't have fire-wire devices but it's a pain in the rear specially if you get heavy into video. Might means firewire is gonna dissapear. I also noticed the control pannel has lost a few buttons and inserts in the front, advatage is that at least now there's that funny looking controller, gonna keep my audigy 2zs for a bit longer unless the x-fi plats get really cheaper.

ya smart just keep yours and wait. hopefully they will get cheaper. Sadly im all strapped. I just had a friend steal (purchase) one of my HTpc with my creative platinum. But he offered a good price and i couldnt paas it off. Anyway I will be soon in the market for new stuff when the conroe chip comes out this summer. A whole new build yay cant wait. Probably than i will purchase a new platinum xfi.

congratualations. Let me know how you like them. crank them up some hehe :)

Were they in the same place underneath the rack?

klipsch makes my jaw drop. should had invest in the promedia 5.1 than the z5500 -.-.. who wants a half month old z5500? lol

my friend has the 2.1 version for his pc that's hook to the tv. so when we go over watch tv/movies and etc the klipsch makes us all fall to the ground.

noesis said:
congratualations. Let me know how you like them. crank them up some hehe :)

Were they in the same place underneath the rack?

thanks. haven't set them up yet, but looking forward to it.
like you said - they were in the same place underneath the rack. almost didn't find them til i looked. :eek: don't ask how i almost missed such a big box.

one bit of concern though... register gave me 10% off cuz they were open box :mad: . if anything's wrong w/ them they're going back to the store.

ellover009 said:
Did you get the instore pickup or online?

website had them unavailable, but noesis (mad props) pointed me to the store that still had'em. i think i picked up the last one in the socal area. none of the other stores had'em in stock when i called earlier this week.

Called my local best buy, they said to call next tuesday, thats when the truck comes with new toys, might be a pair there.

ellover009 said:
Called my local best buy, they said to call next tuesday, thats when the truck comes with new toys, might be a pair there.

We will cross our fingers for you.

too bad it doesn't have a built-in DD/DTS decoder, or I'd be all over it.

Well I was originally gonna get the 5500's but since fuel prices gone up theyre prices been jacked. The klipsch would be sweet pickup no tax plus a 2yr warantee sets me back $230. The 5500 have gone to the $250-260 range since fuel prices gone up. From what I conclude control pannel in klipsch sux, the one on the 5500 rox but the klipch have equal quality to the logitech sound wise but when it comes to music and movies it owns the 5500. Oh well, it's raining in MASS a lot, I'ts been called state of emergency along with maine and NewHampshite I haven't been affected yet, live on a 4rth floor, safe here,

Am I going nuts? I went to Best Buy online added in my zipcode, says ground shipping .99C then If i want 2 day $20 and $40 next day, does this show up for you. I got an idea, buy them if shipping really is .99c and then return them at a local store, then buy the warantee right there, gonna call BB to see if that works.

I called last Friday and asked if they could order the product for in-store pickup. They said yes. Unfortunately I was busy this weekend, so today I went into a local store to see if they could order them for me.

The item isn't in their ordering system anymore, so they must've sold out this weekend. Looks like the last ones are floating around at random BBs now. Also the website has changed from out of stock to "sold out".
I wonder if CC or CompUSA will do a similar "closeout" sale.

Called in they said I could buy online and purchase a warantee at store. They want 40$ for warantee, I did find something out, It's a replacement warantee means that if they product breaks they replacement and your warantee that you bought at the store becomes null. Basically is same as if you paid to ship them to klipsch exept you get them back right away and is only good if they break down after the first year.

I got mine, and it looks like UPS hit them with a mallet. Actually it is just one of the grills on the subwoofer. It is almost completely dented in, but the speakers seem to work.

The problem is that I would have to deal with UPS b/c they were probably the ones who damaged them. UPS (from past experience) only deals with the shipper, so I'd have to talk to Best Buy and get them to talk to UPS. I could see that being very frustrating.

Well I think I ran into the reliability problems that many have mentioned. Perhaps it is b/c the sub got beat up or perhaps it is the problem everybody else had. The speakers worked this afternoon and now they don't. I can switch to headphone mode and that works, and I can use the headphones on the extigy, but when I switch to speaker mode I get no sound but I can hear the relay (or whatever the switch is) give a click as it changes outputs. I double checked all of the connections and they feel secure. I guess I'll be calling Best Buy.

I just bought a display model for $150.
Put a 2 year replacement plan on it for $30

The guys said they weren't ever pushed too hard....but who knows if he was BSing me. I will have to try them out to see if they crap out within the 30 day return period.

jebo_4jc said:
I just bought a display model for $150.
Put a 2 year replacement plan on it for $30

The guys said they weren't ever pushed too hard....but who knows if he was BSing me. I will have to try them out to see if they crap out within the 30 day return period.

You my friend have guts. I dont know if i could ever purchase the display model. But that goes for most things. I am sooooo glad you got the warranty. Bestbuy will replace it for free if you have a problem so its a win situation for you. Plus you got it for cheap. Not bad at all.

you bought a display model? i thought i was partially insane for buying an open box model.

three days later, i'm still awed by them. they push [H]ARD, even @ low/medium levels too...

digitalxdna said:
you bought a display model? i thought i was partially insane for buying an open box model.

three days later, i'm still awed by them. they push [H]ARD, even @ low/medium levels too...
Yeah I was really apprehensive about buying display model speakers....but looking online, the best price on Pricegrabber for these things is $278 shipped from "big boy distribution". $319 shipped if I want them from a reputable site like newegg. Retail kits only have 1 year warranty, so I bought a kit with a 2 yr warranty for $180.
And, one upside is, since they have been in use for about 1 year, I know they are good. The BB I bought them from isn't a very busy one, so I felt good about that also. They have gotten less use in the past year than if I owned them.
So what the heck.....
However, I might have to take them back. Every few minutes, the front L/R speakers hiss a little bit. I switched outlets/surge protectors, and speaker wires, but the problem is still there. I need to find out if it happens when they are unplugged from my computer. I think I will try to get new ones out of them if the problem is for real.

I took mine back to the store for a refund. I ended up going with the logitech z-5500s which were the same price after shipping.

I will let you know once I get them, they were just shipped. I don't think I will really be able to comment. I only got to listen to about 3 songs before the Klipsch's died.

keep in mind your Best Buy warranty will only allow replacement "upto" the amount you paid... not a fresh new set of klipsch..

-Former Best Buy Geek Squad Double Agent

yeah and it seems like Klipsch is getting out of the pc speaker buisness anyhow so your most likely going to get Logitech speakers in the end.

psychoace said:
yeah and it seems like Klipsch is getting out of the pc speaker buisness anyhow so your most likely going to get Logitech speakers in the end.

Klipsch hasn't really made any speakers for PC's since 2003, I doubt that they will return, would have loved to see a new set with digital integration out of the box. I think logitech and Creative speakers ( i belief creative has the bling to keep theyr speakers on the market for a long time)

MatreX said:
keep in mind your Best Buy warranty will only allow replacement "upto" the amount you paid... not a fresh new set of klipsch..

-Former Best Buy Geek Squad Double Agent

Your a former geek squad, you should have stayed a bit longer I heard Geek Squad is replacing the VW bugs with Lamborguini's. Anyone else who bought these had luck with with them,

ellover009 said:
Your a former geek squad, you should have stayed a bit longer I heard Geek Squad is replacing the VW bugs with Lamborguini's. Anyone else who bought these had luck with with them,
Ya i have two sets. No problems both blast like hell. use them for music, games, and movies. Everything works fine.

Maybe you mis-understood my post...

Let's follow this example....

say the speakers normally sell for $200

You buy the display "open item" for, say, $125 - just for numbers..

now you buy the extended warranty for the speakers....

fast forward say, 1 year later and you have a problem with speakers.

You activate the warranty, they will allow you credit up to $125 (your original purchase price) to buy a new set...

So, if you wanted the same speakers and now the price is $175 for a new set, you only get credit for $125 and you still have to pay $50 to equal the $175 new price.

BTW, I too have the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras for the past 3 years, and yes, they crank nicely.

MatreX said:
Maybe you mis-understood my post...

Let's follow this example....

say the speakers normally sell for $200

You buy the display "open item" for, say, $125 - just for numbers..

now you buy the extended warranty for the speakers....

fast forward say, 1 year later and you have a problem with speakers.

You activate the warranty, they will allow you credit up to $125 (your original purchase price) to buy a new set...

So, if you wanted the same speakers and now the price is $175 for a new set, you only get credit for $125 and you still have to pay $50 to equal the $175 new price.

BTW, I too have the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras for the past 3 years, and yes, they crank nicely.
Yeah I remembered this detail as I was standing in line, about to swipe my card. Oh well. It's worth a shot. Maybe I can convince the sales mgr to cut into their margin on the next set I buy using the $150 I'd get from my PRP coverage. The margin on these speakers is sickening, they can afford to lose some of it :)

On the plus side, best buy has a good return policy and it was rather painless.

Not to hijack the thread, but I thought I'd post my thoughts on the logitech z-5500's I got to replace the Klipsch's. First, in all of the reviews I saw it said the logitech's had the cables hardwired into the speakers. It looks like I have a newer revision b/c the cables have the standard clamps in the back so you could use any speaker wire you wanted. +1 for the logitech.

As far as the features go the control unit for the logitech is much nicer. It has a very elegant LCD screen showing the current settings it has all of the settings the Klipsch has plus some. You can adjust the sub, rear, and center speakers independently, it has several different effects (2 channel, 2x2 channel, dolby movie, dolby music, and 6 channel. The control unit has the normal 3 cables for setting up 5.1 sound, and it has an optical in, a coax in, and a headphone out and aux out 3.5mm plugs.

I wasn't able to listen to the Klipsch's very long before they croaked, but I think the sound is comparable for both with the few songs I tried. In UT2004 I couldn't tell a difference either, and the opening battle scene from Gladiator sounded great. The remote doesn't seem as nice as I remember the Klipsch's being, but it functions well and even has a "test" button to make sure all of the speakers are set up with the proper connections. All things considered I'm much more impressed with the features of the logitechs given that after shipping both sets were essentially the same price. I only wish I could have played with the Klipsch's more to get a feel for which has better audio quality.

Hi Wazoo..Naaa the reviews you read were just goofy. Iv had the logitechs since they came out and all the wires are replaceable and not wired on. I too read that wheni first wanted them but took the gamble anyway. This wired on thingy might have been the first initial launch but iv had mine for going on a couple years now so.. (but i really forgot when they first came out soo take this with a grain of salt). And ya again the base station is tops in fact the base station alone is worth deciding on these over the klipsch. Also you should know that every connector is programmable. I have mine connected to an xbox, my pc, and my satelite.

Tried it at another store, not best buys and compared them. The logitech goes louder, sound fine, but the klipsch sound refined, a lot has to do with the subwoofer. I could feel that thing blasting air out of it's sub, I think is the mids when the logitech have difficulty catching up. Gaming wise the Logitech will serve the bill, The sound difference was minimal, Some reason the klipsch sounded a little better.

Back