Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras - $199 @ Bestbuy

Ya i have also been waiting since i want another pair. for one of the bedrooms. Stupid out of stock thingy.

You want to hear soemthing really lame. Initially when i went to purchase it, the california store i went to had three in stock. I could have bought two then but nooooooooo...Sheesh :confused:

Still waiting, still not stock online, They don't have any at all in MASS, horrible, looked at NH havent seen any.

I might just suck it up and pay the $50 shipping. Even then it's a good deal. I'll just use one of my $20 Best Buy gift certificates since I never buy anything from there anyway.

Hey everyone. Listen screw what it says on the website. I just came back from the bestbuy by the block of orange in california with a whole new set of speakers. I checked the website before i left and it said that its all unavailable but i stopped by since i was there anyway and would you believe it they had two sets. SO FORGET WHAT IT SAYS ON THE WEBSITE DAMN THING IS WRONG.

img01102ue.jpg
[/IMG]
img01096kj.jpg
[/IMG]

noesis said:
Hey everyone. Listen screw what it says on the website. I just came back from the bestbuy by the block of orange in california with a whole new set of speakers. I checked the website before i left and it said that its all unavailable but i stopped by since i was there anyway and would you believe it they had two sets. SO FORGET WHAT IT SAYS ON THE WEBSITE DAMN THING IS WRONG.
I spent the entire day yesterday calling the Best Buys in my area and nobody had them. I'm jealous

Ya i know I kept on checking and checking and sadly the dudes there checked their desktops and said that they dont know but since i was there they went in back to check. And ended up them having two of them and i bought one. It sucks cause i just got lucky. I tried everything,,,calling checking the website. bla bla bla.

Lucky man, hopefully one becomes avaliable for pickup is rockyham NH. How do you like it so far, and did you buy extended warantee?

Well Mine is still in the box (too lazy to set it up ) but this is my second one and im gong to test this one in a few minutes (im just catching my breath had a loooooooong day). Yes i did buy the warranty. Bestbuy had it for $30 for two years and i read the thingy and its replacement warranty not the fix it warranty. Basically i just drop it by their store and i walk out with a new one if something happens. To be honest i only bought it because im a little scared about the subwoofer. heard horror stories and i just didnt want any problems in the future.

meh, good deal, but I'm going to stay away from these. We had 2 sets of these hooked up to our non-linear editors in the TV studio I work for part time. One set went bad and the amp thing went out like other people said they had issues with, and our other set has that volume knob issue where the stupid static noise keeps happening. Since then, we just went with the Logitech z-5300's and they are working perfect.

I hear the static issue is due to that the system is not plugged into a backup supply that prevents spikes or dirty energy from getting to the system.

Ok just hooked this up and everything seems to run just fine. I dont know all about those other problems but this is my second set and both sets have been running like chanps. I have them hooked up to a monoster surge protector and run both my directtv and my pc from them and no problem.

I have these and also the logetichs z5500 and im happy with both sets. What i like about the logitechs is that i can plug in more junk.

For me $200 bucks for these speakers is a steal.

noesis said:

argh. their website sux0rz. :mad:

time to call best buy @ the block in orange and ask them to hold one for me til the weekend.
that is, unless noesis bought BOTH sets...

digitalxdna said:
argh. their website sux0rz. :mad:

time to call best buy @ the block in orange and ask them to hold one for me til the weekend.
that is, unless noesis bought BOTH sets...

No no there were two in there. When i asked them to check they came out with two and i only bought one. The other one i helped the guy place it on the display rack. You should be fine because the price tag still showed the regular price. The way i got them to honor the reduced price was by them checking the website.

noesis said:
img01102ue.jpg
[/IMG]
img01096kj.jpg
[/IMG]
How heavy is that box?

i was thinking of sending my G/F to pick it up in midtown mahatten. Is it a feasable weight/size to crarry for a few blocks?

would it fit in a crown vic?

no, the static issue is due to dust getting on the contacts inside of the circular volume knob thing. Its just a poor design and you would have take the volume knob out without it breaking, and clean the dust off of the metal contacts in it. They designed it so you can't really do that though and you'd just have to buy a replacement part.

noesis said:
No no there were two in there. When i asked them to check they came out with two and i only bought one. The other one i helped the guy place it on the display rack. You should be fine because the price tag still showed the regular price. The way i got them to honor the reduced price was by them checking the website.

sweet.
looks like i'll have to make a phone call or two.
and maybe a quick road trip if everything works out.

If you take the knob far enough apart you can swab the outside of it with an alcohol soaked tip. When the alcohol seeps inside turn the knob from side to side. I do that every once in a while to keep it clean....it's better than buying a replacement knob IMO.

d00d don't send your girlfriend to pick these up....especially if she has to carry them for a couple blocks! I used to carry these things around when I worked at BB and they are heavy for an average guy, much less a girl!

No way man :) Your girlfriend in no way will she be able to carry it. This things weigh a good 60 pounds and even the store clerc had problems carrying it thats why i helped him. take it down and place the other unit on the shelf.

Nice deal if you end up with a good set. I think i paid 160 for my 4.1 set about 5 or 6 years ago and they were refurbs. I haven't had any problems with them besides getting ratted on for having music too loud when i lived in an apartment.

noesis said:
Ok just hooked this up and everything seems to run just fine. I dont know all about those other problems but this is my second set and both sets have been running like chanps. I have them hooked up to a monoster surge protector and run both my directtv and my pc from them and no problem.

I have these and also the logetichs z5500 and im happy with both sets. What i like about the logitechs is that i can plug in more junk.

For me $200 bucks for these speakers is a steal.
Of the 5500 and the promedias wich one has the best audio quality? I read pc world magazine they place the 5500 above the promedias because theyre more affortable and they have more connections. If you had the option of only keeping one wich one would you keep. Sorry for bugging but Its an investments and these are tought times, I'm gonna call stores because I'm interested in store pickup and getting a 3yr warantee.

If you are asking me if i were to just take one set than it would have to be the logitechs. Two reasons. First the connectors on the base station make the set universal and a true multimedia hub. You can connect every connector you will need. And second the sound difference between the two while apparent is not different enough to warrant one over the other. I listen to alot of different music including classical and the klispch produce the nuances more but not enough to justify using them exclusively. To understand this for me personally i use my logitichs on my main rig (this one now) and the klipsch for my backup systems. i

Bottom line. I still prefer the logitechs z5500 over the klispch any day.

ellover009 said:
Of the 5500 and the promedias wich one has the best audio quality? I read pc world magazine they place the 5500 above the promedias because theyre more affortable and they have more connections. If you had the option of only keeping one wich one would you keep. Sorry for bugging but Its an investments and these are tought times, I'm gonna call stores because I'm interested in store pickup and getting a 3yr warantee.

sheez ellover, still haven't bought a system yet! lol :D

Do you need the connections from the logitech's? Answer is No? get the Klipsch, if so, get the logitechs, easy as that.

aZn_plyR said:
sheez ellover, still haven't bought a system yet! lol :D

Do you need the connections from the logitech's? Answer is No? get the Klipsch, if so, get the logitechs, easy as that.

Thats the spirit Personally before i bought them i looked and read on the net the pros and cons between them and hehe :) couldnt make up my mind so i bought both. Why decide.

noesis said:
Thats the spirit Personally before i bought them i looked and read on the net the pros and cons between them and hehe :) couldnt make up my mind so i bought both. Why decide.
I'm not blinging that high, specially when you want a few toys. Considering getting the ps3 when it comes out, but early adaptors of technology usually get screwed. Exp PS2 get updated a year after it came out, a year after that it shrank. xbox 360 announced that by next year theyll have a new version of the cpu so i'll be a bit more powerfull, theres also that HD-DVD add on for existing users but might come built in future owners.
I want the best of the two but don't wanna spend on both, to me is a one shot deal. I have a logitech Z640 bought it over 3yrs ago, they served well but I think is time for upgrade are nice for a 71.2 total watt sys. To me this one in a long while investments, don't wanna screw it up.
Shipping is expensive did math and would get screwed if I had to pick it up at one of the further stores specially when gas is costing 2.99R 2.09P 2.19Super, even the logitechs 5500's at zipzoom went up to 260$, 264 at newegg, 234 at tiger direct. Love the control panel in the 5500 might get those.

Ya i hear you completely. I first bought my logitechs and waiting a year before i bought the klipsch. The control panel on the klipsch is a piece of shit. On the logitechs, that thing is sweet totally sweet. I think the logitechs are a great choice you will really like them.

You cant go wrong.

noesis said:
Ya i hear you completely. I first bought my logitechs and waiting a year before i bought the klipsch. The control panel on the klipsch is a piece of shit. On the logitechs, that thing is sweet totally sweet. I think the logitechs are a great choice you will really like them.

You cant go wrong.

What do you dislike about each system? whats the bad part about the klipsch that you dislike in the control, is it clicky, does it get sticky, or is it the speed sensitive knob? how shielded are they for you pc, I got a monster 24in sony crt and the satelites will be a bit close, I have the center speaker resting on top of the crt. overall wich one has better sound, I've been hearing logitech is a bit boomy I fixed it on mine by setting it to 1-2, I live in a small apartment and don't wanna piss off the ppl downstairs. Thanks for you patience.

No problem at all. On the klipsch i like the speakers. Overal they are better quality than the logitechs and the lows sound good on them.The base is very clear... What i dont like is the station. This station is flacky functionaly stupid and made soooooooooo cheap its not even funny. What i dislike about the logitechs is the base. Damn thing is tooooooooooooo boomy like you said. I have mine all the way down (more than half about just 3 or 4 bars). This is the only thing i hate from the logitechs. the station is unbelievable. Quality and functionality. Overall i like my logitechs alot.If logitechs fixes the base to where its less boomy and more basey than they will have a top notch product.

Oooops i just reread your question. The shielding is fine. I have both my front right and left speakers about two inches from the monitor and no distorttion. The only thing i would say is keep the base about 3 to 6 feet away because i dont believe its shielded. Also when i said that the station is a piece of shit i meant it. The knob is quarky, the volume is off and the overall make quality is waaaaaaaaaay to cheap. In fact i was almost tempted to borrow the logitech station on these but didnt do it yet/

noesis said:
Oooops i just reread your question. The shielding is fine. I have both my front right and left speakers about two inches from the monitor and no distorttion. The only thing i would say is keep the base about 3 to 6 feet away because i dont believe its shielded. Also when i said that the station is a piece of shit i meant it. The knob is quarky, the volume is off and the overall make quality is waaaaaaaaaay to cheap. In fact i was almost tempted to borrow the logitech station on these but didnt do it yet/

I know the feeling, my boss bought a Creative labs S750, the 7.1 sys (overkill). Anyways the controller is beyond junk is a box with stiff buttons to change settings, The system sounds great, In order to shut it off you have to shut off the control pannel and at the same time to totally shut it you have to kill the sub in a switch in the back. The speakers are sometimes selective and will not turn on until you play a dvd (it acts weird), so he lets it sit there all day on (he can affort to). I've seen the sound blaster x-fi plat for $150 and they have some in a best buy store, until today the sale, should I pick them up to replace my audigy zs2 gamer to go match new speakers and get the latest codecs, or leave the zs2 alone? I currently don't have the front panel box like the plats.

ellover009 said:
I know the feeling, my boss bought a Creative labs S750, the 7.1 sys (overkill). Anyways the controller is beyond junk is a box with stiff buttons to change settings, The system sounds great, In order to shut it off you have to shut off the control pannel and at the same time to totally shut it you have to kill the sub in a switch in the back. The speakers are sometimes selective and will not turn on until you play a dvd (it acts weird), so he lets it sit there all day on (he can affort to). I've seen the sound blaster x-fi plat for $150 and they have some in a best buy store, until today the sale, should I pick them up to replace my audigy zs2 gamer to go match new speakers and get the latest codecs, or leave the zs2 alone? I currently don't have the front panel box like the plats.

I own all the 2 zs's that cteative has including the elite pro (but just sold that) but i only own the creative fatality. To be frank with you the only difference i saw was in the headphone area. The xfi with headphones sound head over better than any of my 2zs. I also like the control panel of the xfi. Now stating all that. Is the xfi an improvement? The short answer is yes. Would i upgrade if i was on a budget? the loooooooooong answer is no.

But yes there is an improvement.

other than the headphones the other big time improvement is the way it handles the difference modes. For instance the xfi had three modes: entertainment, gaming and music and each mode is preconfigured to optimize what you are doing. The 5.1 surround is alot better on xfi and is more refined. You really can tell the difference.

But like i said does all these warrant an upgrade? I dont know. I upgrade just because i love to upgrade and use any excuse to do so. But i still would buy the 2zs and did (i bought me another platinum because i bought it so damn cheap for another computer i have).

noesis said:
So did anyone go to bestbuy and purchase that other last set?

Anyone.

Looks like noone, I actually went to the klipsch site checked out the forum, guy bought one had to return it after the best 57mins of his life. He did buy a 3yr warantee. I actually looked online at the x-fi plat and the audigy 2zs and noticed something, the fire wire socket is gone wich a lotta ppl didn't have but was nice option to have specially if you had a digital cam. Maybe if you could use the 5500 unit and the promedia satelites i'll be gold.

Back