Klipsch Promedia 2.1 -- two sets; older (heavier) new (lighter) - Sub/amp

The newer Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 aren't that bad. I bought the set @ Best Buy for $119.00 on sale a few years back. I'm using them with my WINXP rig down in my basement. Still keep a XP box for some older games that don't play nice with WIN7. I haven't had an issue in almost 4 years.

If you get them on sale & they last 6-7 years, then it's a bargain IMHO. Hell....I have a new unopened back-up still sitting in it's box if (when they fail) For the coin, they are still tough to beat.

You are missing the point. The Klipsch computer speakers are terribly unreliable. Regardless of how good they is no worse feeling than throwing away a 200+ computer system because the only fix is to send it to some guy for 90 dollars for about 70 percent of the original cost.

If something is built shitty the best way to protest this is to not buy the product.

I have had Klipsch speakers since the first ProMedia 4.1's, and have had two set fails, that being the original 5.1's which Klipsch replaced with a nice set of 5.1 Ultra's. The 5.1 Ultra's went some 8 years before failing.

The only reason I didn't get them fixed is because the Sub had been through the horrors of 2 or 3 Golden Retriever puppies, and was chewed all to hell. Since all of those puppies have since grown up , lived a full life, and passed away I kinda wish I still had it.

I've had 3 sets of the 2.1's. Old and new. I think they sound close to the same. I still think they are the best $149 speaker set money can buy, and when BB has then on sale for $99 they are a steal.

There was one weak spot on the original 2.1's, and that's the pod connector had a habit of shearing off on the back of the sub if you weren't careful. I broke one myself moving a desk and hit it with the desk.

The later models have a 90 deg plug which all but eliminates this danger.

At $99 to $149 you still can't do better.

And no, the Corsair 2500's are not even close IMNO. I love Corsair, but I think their speakers are terrible. I have those too.

Last edited:
My 4.1s are still with me. :)

Waiting for these to die, but they just keep going. I think I got them back in 2000 or 2001. It was right at the time they stopped making them and was sub planted by the 5.1s.

I have a mix in the middle, bought in roughly 2006. They have the old style amp and switch, but no connector on the satellites. I love these speakers and they still work perfectly, I'm going to be using them in my apartment on my TV as my HT is just far to loud.

Just scored another set (new Promedia's) for $25 at Goodwill. The subwoofer on my previous set speaker seems blown and the subwoofer connector is finicky.

Has anyone changed out the actual speaker for the subwoofer? They seem to be going for $26 on Ebay. I'll have to look up tutorials online yet curious about any hiccups I should be prepared for in making this repair.

Coming from a tiny bluetooth speaker, these are a huge upgrade for me, but I am seeing many negative reviews with the failure rates, the new vs old models and bad warranty. I am unsure if I want to keep it now. It is fairly expensive because I didn't get them on sale ($200+tax). Anyone with the newer model have anything positive to say about them? Lastly, what would be good 2.1 replacements for them if I do decide to return it?

How much would a BB replacement warranty be. About $15 for 3 years ?

Coming from a tiny bluetooth speaker, these are a huge upgrade for me, but I am seeing many negative reviews with the failure rates, the new vs old models and bad warranty. I am unsure if I want to keep it now. It is fairly expensive because I didn't get them on sale ($200+tax). Anyone with the newer model have anything positive to say about them? Lastly, what would be good 2.1 replacements for them if I do decide to return it?

I have 2 sets. No issues.

One set is in the bedroom stuck in a corner that's hard to get to so they have been on 24/7 for 3-4 years now.

A set of these with an Amazon Echo Dot makes for a nearly perfect Stereo/Alarm clock setup.

Really the only small inexpensive speaker set that I've liked nearly as much as these are the old Monsoon MM-700's, which were an awesome little Planar Speaker setup. I have a set, but sadly I think the Planars dried out or something because all the midrange went away :(

I just bought a new set and the weight difference is very noticeable. The latest 2.1 doesnt even have a power switch in back. It still makes a lot of bass but the high notes appear lacking on the new ones. Not surprising since i heard the high range amp got changed for worse components. I would have gladly pay $50 more to get the exact same build.

F_CK klipsh. Why do you have to fix a perfectly working formula?

Why you ask? Profit. If you can score them for $100.00 it's still a great deal. For your average user, they're excellent.

Reactions: TypeO
like this
I have an old school amp from a set of the 2.1 that I bought off ebay and the sub output was very faint. The seller refunded me and didnt want the part back. I dont know if anyone knows how to fix these or would want it, but i wasnt gonna invest a hundred bucks in it to get it "upgraded" by an ebay seller. I also have a pair of good sats and enclosure with a brand new woofer if anyone needs them to get their set up and rolling. This is a secondary set that I have in my garage collecting dust that id like to get gone. Noone on craigslist has bitten in the 4 months ive had it up so I just want to give the stuff away by now! I cant bear to throw the stuff away :(

I have an old school amp from a set of the 2.1 that I bought off ebay and the sub output was very faint. The seller refunded me and didnt want the part back. I dont know if anyone knows how to fix these or would want it, but i wasnt gonna invest a hundred bucks in it to get it "upgraded" by an ebay seller. I also have a pair of good sats and enclosure with a brand new woofer if anyone needs them to get their set up and rolling. This is a secondary set that I have in my garage collecting dust that id like to get gone. Noone on craigslist has bitten in the 4 months ive had it up so I just want to give the stuff away by now! I cant bear to throw the stuff away :(
Did you look at the old amp components? I'm still using a very old original set but I get a lot static pop when I turn on a light switch.

I just want to chime in here; I've owned a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (not sure if it's old or new as per this thread) for about three and a half years now, and I am just blown away every time I bother to turn the volume up when listening to music (which is not often, they're usually doing Youtube duty, etc.).

My sound card is a Musiland Monitor 02 US (actually a USB DAC with independent power supply / bit-perfect asynchronous USB ASIO playback). This is a great little unit as well, highly recommended.

My main system is a Nakamichi RE-10 stereo receiver driving a set of JBL LX-55 floor-standers. I guess you could say that is my "reference". The MSRP on that system is probably close to $3,000. While the Klipsch aren't as good, they certainly come close. They are just incredible speakers for the money.

I just want to chime in here; I've owned a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (not sure if it's old or new as per this thread) for about three and a half years now, and I am just blown away every time I bother to turn the volume up when listening to music (which is not often, they're usually doing Youtube duty, etc.).

My sound card is a Musiland Monitor 02 US (actually a USB DAC with independent power supply / bit-perfect asynchronous USB ASIO playback). This is a great little unit as well, highly recommended.

My main system is a Nakamichi RE-10 stereo receiver driving a set of JBL LX-55 floor-standers. I guess you could say that is my "reference". The MSRP on that system is probably close to $3,000. While the Klipsch aren't as good, they certainly come close. They are just incredible speakers for the money.
Do they have an on off switch ?

I have the no switch version and love the sound thy out out plugged into my TV. I first heard these many years ago and was impressed then. I've taken these with me to vacation rentals and even used for the sound at my own wedding for our tiny 6 person ceremony. I'd recommend these to anyone. I've only had for a little less than 2.5 years

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 73
I have both pairs and there is a noticeable difference in quality with the latter, no switch model.

My original 2.1 switched amp set are still working well. How are your doing?

Back