Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX-Certified Speaker System $99.99 - Best Buy

I heard these things just break all the time for the past 15 years... I went with some Logitech z623 s then went to the Z906 set.

This isn't the model with the reputation for breaking. The 2.1 sets are generally fine and trouble-free.

This isn't the model with the reputation for breaking. The 2.1 sets are generally fine and trouble-free.
The thing that breaks, at least in my experience, is the 6-pin DIN plug. Mine broke off, actually broke off while still attached, was a pain in the ass to get off but I eventually got it out. When this happens, you have 2 options. 1) Get a new DIN plug (its the same plug used on keyboards, so you likely have on around) and solder it/crimp it on. 2) Order a new Control Pod for it. I went with #1 first, and it lasted years. Then I some how broke off the subwoofer adjustment button on the Control Pod (did this while moving to a different house, this is a problem with my packing, not my speakers) and that lead me to needing a new Control Pod anyway. I got that about a month ago and it's almost identical (and may be identical to the product shipped today, mine are almost 10 years old). The benefit, I've found, is that the new 6-pin DIN plug is "elbow" mounted. This makes it stick out less and makes it, for me, less likely to break off.

The thing that breaks, at least in my experience, is the 6-pin DIN plug. Mine broke off, actually broke off while still attached, was a pain in the ass to get off but I eventually got it out. When this happens, you have 2 options. 1) Get a new DIN plug (its the same plug used on keyboards, so you likely have on around) and solder it/crimp it on. 2) Order a new Control Pod for it. I went with #1 first, and it lasted years. Then I some how broke off the subwoofer adjustment button on the Control Pod (did this while moving to a different house, this is a problem with my packing, not my speakers) and that lead me to needing a new Control Pod anyway. I got that about a month ago and it's almost identical (and may be identical to the product shipped today, mine are almost 10 years old). The benefit, I've found, is that the new 6-pin DIN plug is "elbow" mounted. This makes it stick out less and makes it, for me, less likely to break off.

Yeah that connection can be a trouble spot, but if you're careful to protect it and/or you don't move your speakers around a lot, it should do what it's designed to do. Like I said earlier, I've had either 2 or 3 sets of these and I've never had a problem related to that connection, as fragile as it may be (don't get me wrong; I'd prefer something other than a DIN plug!).

My comment was more related the reliability of the amplifiers, because when people talk about that Klipsch speakers "breaking" it's usually because of the number of 5.1 and 5.1 Ultra amps that died premature deaths.

Anyone know if the sub on this would work with the 5.1 setup? I have the 5.1 but I am getting crackly noise now. I think it is the sub

It's the ProMedia 5.1's? If you used the sub from the 2.1 set you'd likely need to get an amp. The 5.1 system houses the amp inside the sub (all speakers plug into it). It is very very prone to the static sound until they completely break. Usually the power regulator section of the amp will have some burnt resistors/caps/etc. .. Too much heat in a confined space with no fans and they don't use high temp certified components.

It's not the connection and it was indeed the 2.1 Promedias that broke one me... two of them in less two years. It was a control pod volume control in both cases. No, I don't have children. And no, the things stay in the same place--on the desk, they never move and were as well cared for as they can be.

IMO, they're garbage. Buyers have been warned.

It's not the connection and it was indeed the 2.1 Promedias that broke one me... two of them in less two years. It was a control pod volume control in both cases. No, I don't have children. And no, the things stay in the same place--on the desk, they never move and were as well cared for as they can be.

OK. Sorry about your luck then. For your two sets that broke, there were hundreds that didn't but I can't blame you for not trying again after that experience. Never had a problem with mine so I'll continue to recommend them based on the experience that I had.

I have this same problem with these. Awesome speakers, but holy crap if they don't break after a year or two of use.:rolleyes: Not sure if I want to buy a third set and hope for a change, or just go with a different brand all together.

Are these better then my Z2300's ?

Tough question. I had a Z2300 until it died and Logitech RMAed me a Z623. The Z623 was definitely worse than the Z2300. My Z623 started dying a while back and I bought these Promedia when I saw this thread. The Promedia set is definitely better than the Z623. I believe the Promedia are better than the Z2300, but I never had the opportunity to play them side by side.

I have this same problem with these. Awesome speakers, but holy crap if they don't break after a year or two of use.:rolleyes: Not sure if I want to buy a third set and hope for a change, or just go with a different brand all together.
I returned the Promedia 2.1 I bought a couple of weeks ago because the DIN plug snapped as I moved the sub less than 4 feet under my desk. I spent a little more $$ and got a Swan M50W 2.1 system for my laptop. It sounds incredible and looks beautiful. Well worth the extra $80 more than the Klipsch.

I returned the Promedia 2.1 I bought a couple of weeks ago because the DIN plug snapped as I moved the sub less than 4 feet under my desk. I spent a little more $$ and got a Swan M50W 2.1 system for my laptop. It sounds incredible and looks beautiful. Well worth the extra $80 more than the Klipsch.
Where did you find a pair of M50's for $180? Haven't found any under $265.

I too would like to know where you got them for 180. Unless you had some coupon?

Where did you find a pair of M50's for $180? Haven't found any under $265.

Where can I get this deal?

I too would like to know where you got them for 180. Unless you had some coupon?
I guess I could've been a bit more clear. I found the M50W on Provantage for $201 + $22 shipping. I used a $50 AMEX gift card to drop the price to $151 ($173 with shipping).

http://www.provantage.com/hivi-acoustics-m50w~7HIVI006.htm

$223 shipped is still the best price for them, by far.

Last edited:

Can you post some photos of the speakers next to the keyboard? I'd like to get an idea to see how large they are. How are they with music and games?

Thank god for this thread. I didn't know you could order a new volume/bass control pod. My volume knob hasn't worked right for the past year. I've only owned the speakers for 2. The volume knob generates a LOUD screeching noise over the speakers when used. The speakers sound great though.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm lucky. I bought the Klipsch 2.1 speakers 3+ years ago for my Windows XP build. They cost me $99.00 @ BB & they haven't given me one issue since day one. I understand (or have read) that Klipsch got cheap on this unit 4-5+ years ago. I still think they are amazing speakers for the money.

Are these better then my Z2300's ?

I bought a pair of Z-2300's for myself and my mom a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's at the same time back in 2009. I've heard them side by side and I prefer the Klipsch. The mid's are MUCH better and the bass, while perhaps now as loud, is much less muddy. The Klipsch sub is very tight and punchy compared to the Z-2300. If you have a good pair of working Z-2300's, I wouldn't really see a reason to "upgrade" to these, however. Not enough of a difference to warrant the $100+ purchase in my opinion.

I bought a pair of Z-2300's for myself and my mom a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's at the same time back in 2009. I've heard them side by side and I prefer the Klipsch. The mid's are MUCH better and the bass, while perhaps now as loud, is much less muddy. The Klipsch sub is very tight and punchy compared to the Z-2300. If you have a good pair of working Z-2300's, I wouldn't really see a reason to "upgrade" to these, however. Not enough of a difference to warrant the $100+ purchase in my opinion.

I know it's been a few weeks, but...

That's because Logitech likes to crossover at 125hz instead of 80hz (optimal). I believe the ProMedia's crossover at 80hz to 100hz. Somewhere in there.

A 125hz crossover is ok for gaming and movies, but it destroys music. There is most definitely directionality to be detected at 125hz, and sending frequencies that high to a sub turns them into a booming flubber machine.

I have a set of Z5500's in the closet that were the worst musical speakers I've ever heard for this reason. You have to EQ the 125hz slider down 6db or so to make them even somewhat listenable for music.

This is why the Klipsch speakers have always sounded better than the Logitech's for Music.

The Promedia 2.1 have a record history of overheating amps, and eventually they go. However sound quality of the 2.1s is really good in the mids. The z623s are terrible in mids (more like nonexistent). The 2 speakers on the Z623 seem very overpowered once the Sub is left in the middle knotch.

I however can`t really complain, as I got my z623s for $79.99 shipped from Amazon when they were launched. The Promedias were $130 at the time, and now have slowly decreased in price but nowhere near the z623s. My setup is to exploit the lackings of the z623. The sub is for my bass, and my tv speakers are setup for mids and the z623 sat speakers are the highs. Ghetto 4.1 lol

I think the best system computer wise thus far is the Z906s. Those bad boys are the best one can get without breaking your budget, or spending time building a component system with a dedicated receiver.

I had a set of ProMedia 5.1's fail, but never a 2.1 and I've had 3 sets of them (still have 2 in service).

One of them had the control cable snapped off at the back of the sub. That was definitely a known issue until they went to the newer L-Shaped connector.

I would search overheating Promedia 2.1s and you`ll find a ton of info. Some have said they improved the design with a bigger heatsink, but I don`t have first hand experience on that topic.

So after finally hooking these speakers up, I give them a 6/5 for sound (absolutely amazing for the price) but a 4.5/5 overall for NOT HAVING A POWER BUTTON.

So weird.

I was at Best Buy yesterday and they had these on sale for $119, so I bought a set.

It has been years since I have heard them, but yeah, they are 1000 times better than what I had.

Back