Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX-Certified Speaker System $99.99 - Best Buy

How does using a mono adapter work something like this into "surround" sound?

Ok so I linked to the mono not the stereo. OMFG have a cow:rolleyes: here is the correct link.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107...&sr=1-57&keywords=3.5mm+Jack+to+2x+3.5+stereo

Basically, if you had 2 sets of Klipsch 2.1's then you would have 2-3.5 male jacks. You would use the adapter to on them and hence you get a 4.2 setup. No one ever said anything about a "surround". We are talking about Quadraphonic sound. Not rocket science! :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I think the corsair set up sounds a bit better... Of course you have to spend twice the cost of the Klipsch to get the sp2500's. My biggest complaint about the corsair 2.1 set is that the bass from the sub seems too boomy no matter what setting I use. No complaints other than that though... Given the choice between the Klipsch set for $80 - $100 or the Corsair set for $160 - $200 (I own both), I'd pick up the Promedias and never look back.

Exactly. The bass on the 2500's is not impressive at all, especially considering the price.

I got my package from BB today in the mail and it seems like I got a used or floor stock item. The box was just taped together and tehre was none of the thin protective foam wrapping the electronics, or twist ties/plastic on wires etc., just the speakers in the styrofoam lol. Looks like I'll have to call in the AM. :(

I would not accept that at all.

Anyone know if the sub on this would work with the 5.1 setup? I have the 5.1 but I am getting crackly noise now. I think it is the sub

Excellent set of speakers. I picked them up 2 years ago (Nov. 2011) for $90 from Best Buy when they went on sale. Only problem Ive had is the volume near low settings doesnt register properly and only plays from one speaker. Just keep them turned up slightly higher than the lowest setting and theyve been great!

Sorry if someone's already answered (didn't read the whole thread), but this is due to the potentiometers (pots) that the speakers use for volume. My old pair of ProMedias did this too - it's quite normal. :) So again - not sure if someone's responded to this, but you got nothing to worry about.

I would not accept that at all.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get it replaced in-store.

BB's other option is to mail it back, then wait for a replacement. Pretty lame. Next time I won't be ordering things from them at all.

Anyone know if the sub on this would work with the 5.1 setup? I have the 5.1 but I am getting crackly noise now. I think it is the sub

Don't think so, the sub has a mini-DIN connector that comes from the volume pod, most subs accept RCA or speaker wire.

Did get a chance to set these up for my wife's machine and they were pretty solid. Even threw in my old SB X-Fi Fatal1ty for her rig. Watched some live TV and it sounded great, but I did miss that center channel for dialogue.

So i bought two of these. The only port on my soundcard that gives any sound at all is the Green port. I thought the other ports were for surround speakers??
So I am stuck to using one 2.1 setup. If I used a splitter cable on the green port then it would just be double stereo surround. I thought plugging the other setup into the Rear speaker port would give surround?

So i bought two of these. The only port on my soundcard that gives any sound at all is the Green port. I thought the other ports were for surround speakers??
So I am stuck to using one 2.1 setup. If I used a splitter cable on the green port then it would just be double stereo surround. I thought plugging the other setup into the Rear speaker port would give surround?

Did you go into your audio control panel and make sure your mobo or soundcard was switched to use surround?

Did you go into your audio control panel and make sure your mobo or soundcard was switched to use surround?

No. I dont have the audio panel installed because Creative drivers are terrible and say no device found.
I have a thread about it here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/pax-d...le-use-control-panel-no-supported-device.html
If that is what the problem is then I guess I will be upgrading to Windows 8.1 sooner than I had hoped because there doesn't seem to be a way to fix that control panel without reformatting.

No. I dont have the audio panel installed because Creative drivers are terrible and say no device found.
I have a thread about it here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/pax-d...le-use-control-panel-no-supported-device.html
If that is what the problem is then I guess I will be upgrading to Windows 8.1 sooner than I had hoped because there doesn't seem to be a way to fix that control panel without reformatting.

You're using modded, unofficial drivers and then blaming Creative for it not working? That's an interesting assignment of blame.

Most likely showing no supported hardware because the unofficial drivers don't have your devices HID in the INF file. Try the official drivers first then see what's going on. I just set these speakers up on an X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI and the biggest issue I ran into was the outdated looking installer. Everything else worked fine.

You're using modded, unofficial drivers and then blaming Creative for it not working? That's an interesting assignment of blame.

Most likely showing no supported hardware because the unofficial drivers don't have your devices HID in the INF file. Try the official drivers first then see what's going on. I just set these speakers up on an X-Fi Fatal1ty PCI and the biggest issue I ran into was the outdated looking installer. Everything else worked fine.

The reason I went to the 3rd party drive was because I was looking for a way to get any driver to work. I have done everything including driver cleaners, registry cleaners, different versions, and 3rd party drivers to no avail. It's a pretty big issue

The reason I went to the 3rd party drive was because I was looking for a way to get any driver to work. I have done everything including driver cleaners, registry cleaners, different versions, and 3rd party drivers to no avail. It's a pretty big issue

Soo...sounds like it's about time to get a new sound card.

I see, can you try to only install this driver: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Driver 2.17.0009

http://support.creative.com/Product...PCI+Express+X-Fi+Titanium+Fatal1ty+Pro+Series

Then run the Creative Auto-Update and see what it says? Is that when you get the no device detected message? Do you have another PC you can test?

How big is the package for these?

Trying to decide between ordering or picking up two sets to replace my old 4.1's, but I have a very small car. They'd both have to go in the passenger seat.

These were shipped to my apartment in less than 24 hours with the free shipping. The box looked a little sketchy with crinkled clear tape but the contents were packed and taped perfect so I decided no big deal. Hooked them up and they sound great, thanks.

I see, can you try to only install this driver: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Driver 2.17.0009

http://support.creative.com/Product...PCI+Express+X-Fi+Titanium+Fatal1ty+Pro+Series

Then run the Creative Auto-Update and see what it says? Is that when you get the no device detected message? Do you have another PC you can test?

Hey thanks for the response. I will definitely try that after work tonight. :)
Btw, i got the one set hooked up and they sound great. The sound is so powerful even when the pot is only cranked like 10%
Really surprising.
Cant wait to see how it sounds with the other set connected!

Still says the audio device supported by this application is not found.
Even though the auto-update finds and identifies the card properly.
Weird stuff.

Yeah I'm probably gonna get it replaced in-store.

BB's other option is to mail it back, then wait for a replacement. Pretty lame. Next time I won't be ordering things from them at all.

This happens all the time, not just at best buy.

As long as the co doesn't have a history of it, and they take care of it,I'm not sure I would write them off.

I picked these speakers up yesterday in store. got the $15 gift card, and immediately used that on a $20 steam card that was discounted by a buck. I felt like I got a good deal - great speakers $40 off normal price and $20 in steam money for $4.

I picked these speakers up yesterday in store. got the $15 gift card, and immediately used that on a $20 steam card that was discounted by a buck. I felt like I got a good deal - great speakers $40 off normal price and $20 in steam money for $4.

Yep did the same thing with 2 sets. :-D

Is this dead? The link shows $139.99, or do I have to go to the store for the $99 price?

I am absolutely loving these speakers. I have an older set of ProMedia Ultra 2.0 on my home theater. Great speakers.

Whats the hype on these,, they domt even go very loud just seem like decent tiny speakers.. am i missimg something should i take them out of storage because they so great?

Whats the hype on these,, they domt even go very loud just seem like decent tiny speakers.. am i missimg something should i take them out of storage because they so great?

There's nothing that even comes close to its performance at this price. If you disagree, please show me something that's sounds better for the price.

They go VERY loud and they're not tiny--the speakers are about 4" x 5" by 8". Are you sure you're looking at the correct speakers, or just trolling??

I bought a set of these Promedias to use with my MacBook Pro. They make a great sound system for a laptop.

Bought a set of these back in like 2006 or so and they are still running great. I've only had one issue with them and it was very easily fixed with a $10 cable on ebay (the part that plugs into the sub that controls the volume and bass got frayed and quit working so I had to buy a replacement, very easy to fix and I just wrapped it in electrical tape after twisting the cables together).

For bedroom speakers (what I use them for anyway) they will get louder than you will likely ever need them to get without distorting. I've heard similar priced logitechs and such and they may get louder and have a bigger sub, but they sound like shit comparatively (especially the bass, on most "PC speakers" the bass is just a big boomy mess).

They had these at my local Best Buy for $85 open box. They couldn't find the open box product (they were supposed to have 4 in stock that were open box) so they gave me a new set for the same price. Awesome deal! They sound similar to my old Logitech Z4s but a better. Great deal though I wish the 3.5mm cable was unplugabble so I could replace it with a longer cord.

They had these at my local Best Buy for $85 open box. They couldn't find the open box product (they were supposed to have 4 in stock that were open box) so they gave me a new set for the same price. Awesome deal! They sound similar to my old Logitech Z4s but a better. Great deal though I wish the 3.5mm cable was unplugabble so I could replace it with a longer cord.

That's really my only gripe with these speakers. Otherwise they are fantastic.

Just out of curiosity, are there any downsides to using those 3.5mm extension cables?

Not really. My last set of speakers had a female 3.5mm input so I could run my own cable to it where this one isn't replaceable.

Just out of curiosity, are there any downsides to using those 3.5mm extension cables?

Not really, my only worry is the cable dying and having to replace the set because a simple 3.5mm cable went out. I've had a number of them die on me before.

Not really, my only worry is the cable dying and having to replace the set because a simple 3.5mm cable went out. I've had a number of them die on me before.

Normally the cable shouldn't "die" unless it is mistreated.

The one I had was very unreliable. Near the warranty expiration the control box went tits up. It was replaced, but then it happened again out of warranty. The tech support guy that handled my case wasn't at all surprised!

I got less than two years out of it, and would be remiss if I didn't warn would-be buyers.

just got this to replace my older 2.1 promedia that recently broke. the new subwoofer is significantly lighter, but overall it sounds the same to me.

however, one annoying thing that they didn't seem to have fixed is the loose pre-amp connection. anyone have similar issues? from time to time i would have to crawl on my knees and adjust the connection behind the woofer. it also makes a really loud 'boom' when im adjusting it.

I heard these things just break all the time for the past 15 years... I went with some Logitech z623 s then went to the Z906 set.

Back