Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Speakers at Best Buy $109.99

chizow

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems like BestBuy has this deal every year, and they are the only ones that sell these Promedias nowadays. I bought this last year or the yea before for my wife and she has been happy with them, if anything they are too loud sometimes in the office and compete with my sound system :D

It is an all-inclusive system, the sub has the amp and everything included, just plug in 3.5mm jack into your audio out/sound card/headphone jack. I know some people have used the satellites to replace ones on their 5.1 systems also.

$109.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...lack/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

Reduce the price further with Certs or Gift Cards you may have stockpiled.

Using these now as my speaker set for my TV which has a 3.5mm out. These are amazing and sound better than most home theater speaker sets you can get for under 500 dollars. Their a steal for the quality you get!

These things haven't changed in over 15+ years. Didn't Klipsch get sold to some other company about 5-6 years ago?

I've owned a pair of these since black Friday in 2012. They're the newer version without the power switch. They still sound great and I haven't had any problems with them.

*knocks on subwoofer wood*

I have a set from around 06-08 that are still kicking. Problem is the terminals for the wire connections are busted. I need to replace it but I can't find a damn guide to save my life on how to disassemble it so I can fix it.

Had two sets of these. They're unreliable.

First one replaced under warranty. The replacement also failed very quickly. What's worse is the RMA guy wasn't surprised!

I've been using a set of these I got off of Cowboom for $90 for the last four years or so. Hell of a setup for the price. I haven't had any issues other than a little feedback coming out of the speakers when I use the volume knob (easily avoidable by keeping the speakers at a set volume and using the PC volume controls). I haven't kept informed about speakers over the last few years so I'm not sure if there is something comparable (price and quality wise) to the Promedia's these days... But I've been more than happy with them.

The amp died on my set, along with a crappy volume knob. When working the sound great but as others said they are unreliable.

Assuming you have the space for them, I'd highly recommend people buy something like these Samsons for $99 or these Presonus speakers for $125 instead.

I've heard the Klipsch and they're fine considering the relatively tiny footprint of the satellites sitting on your desk. I own the Logitech z-5300 which compare very closely with the Klipsch Promedia, and I used 'em for years since I got 'em as a gift (mind you, they cost ~$600 back when I was given them). Yet I was never really happy with the those tiny-sounding computer speakers. The subwoofer was fine (albeit, no control over the crossover), but the lil' enclosures used for mids/highs in nearly all computer speakers sound like ass, and unless someone absolutely needs something that small, I'd steer them elsewhere.

See, I'm a bass junkie. I LOVE bass. I have 3 dedicated subwoofers in my house, don't even get me started on my car. But More than bass, I've always appreciated clear, quality sound first and foremost. Bass is fun, but why not have both quality mids/highs and bass? That's the problem with 98% of all 2.1 computer speaker setups using tiny satellites; you get horrible mids and/or highs in exchange for mediocre-to-decent bass. Then there's other lame stuff with computer speakers, like no crossover on the sub. wtf? Screw that imo. All it takes is slapping on a decent set of $60-100 headphones to hear how crappy the midrange/highs are on nearly all 2.1 computer speaker setups.

In the ~$90-150 price range, you can get vastly better sound if you go with small monitors sporting 3-4" drivers. Your ears will absolutely hear the huge improvement to the mids/highs and the bass will be good, too; just not earth-shaking. If you're like me and you simply MUST have booming bass? Do what lots of people do and just add a separate sub, easy. Something like the m-audio av30 for $76 (or newer av32), or Mackie cr3 for $99 will kick the crap out of the Klipsch Promedias. If you're willing to step up to 4-5" drivers, sales pop up pretty much every month. A couple days ago, the m-audio av40 were selling for $80 (normally ~$140) and the Mackie cr4 were $110 (normally ~$150).

$0.02

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The amp died on my set, along with a crappy volume knob. When working the sound great but as others said they are unreliable.

Ditto. Mine didn't make it a full year. Sounded great when they worked, but they were the shortest lived piece of audio equipment Ive ever owned.

I own about 10 pairs, and all but two have been running 24/7/365 for the better part of a decade without issues.
Control pod issues with one, amp in another.

I've had mine for almost two years now I think and there have been no issues. Love 'em! Paid $99 at BB.

Great sounding speakers when working. Unfortunately, my 3 year old set have now died.

I bought a set of the 4.1's when they first came out (around 2000?) and they worked great up until 2012 when the amp finally gave out. These days I just buy cheap mini amps and hook up whatever speakers I have lying around the house.

I've had mine for almost two years now I think and there have been no issues. Love 'em! Paid $99 at BB.

I think I got them on that same deal, so I guess it has been almost 2 years for my wife's set too. That was the spend $100 and get $10 off deal right?

Assuming you have the space for them, I'd highly recommend people buy something like these Samsons for $99 or these Presonus speakers for $125 instead.

I've heard the Klipsch and they're fine considering the relatively tiny footprint of the satellites sitting on your desk. I own the Logitech z-5300 which compare very closely with the Klipsch Promedia, and I used 'em for years since I got 'em as a gift (mind you, they cost ~$600 back when I was given them). Yet I was never really happy with the those tiny-sounding computer speakers. The subwoofer was fine (albeit, no control over the crossover), but the lil' enclosures used for mids/highs in nearly all computer speakers sound like ass, and unless someone absolutely needs something that small, I'd steer them elsewhere.

See, I'm a bass junkie. I LOVE bass. I have 3 dedicated subwoofers in my house, don't even get me started on my car. But More than bass, I've always appreciated clear, quality sound first and foremost. Bass is fun, but why not have both quality mids/highs and bass? That's the problem with 98% of all 2.1 computer speaker setups using tiny satellites; you get horrible mids and/or highs in exchange for mediocre-to-decent bass. Then there's other lame stuff with computer speakers, like no crossover on the sub. wtf? Screw that imo. All it takes is slapping on a decent set of $60-100 headphones to hear how crappy the midrange/highs are on nearly all 2.1 computer speaker setups.

In the ~$90-150 price range, you can get vastly better sound if you go with small monitors sporting 3-4" drivers. Your ears will absolutely hear the huge improvement to the mids/highs and the bass will be good, too; just not earth-shaking. If you're like me and you simply MUST have booming bass? Do what lots of people do and just add a separate sub, easy. Something like the m-audio av30 for $76 (or newer av32), or Mackie cr3 for $99 will kick the crap out of the Klipsch Promedias. If you're willing to step up to 4-5" drivers, sales pop up pretty much every month. A couple days ago, the m-audio av40 were selling for $80 (normally ~$140) and the Mackie cr4 were $110 (normally ~$150).

$0.02

The only issues with your suggestions is they have a HUGE footprint. I had a NAD D3020 Hybrid receiver with a pair of PSB B4's (sounded great) but they simply took-up too much space. They are now in our living room. Went with a pre-made system. Cambridge Audio Minx M5's. Bought a 2nd pair for back-up. For $99.99 they are a steal.

To be honest with you guys these speakers go on sale about every 12 months. You would be better off buying something like the Swan M50W speakers. Yes, they cost almost double but they are more than twice as good, sound incredible and are beautiful and if you keep them forever what's an extra $80 over a couple decades? Don't make the mistake of buying the Promedia speakers and not being satisfied and wasting time and money returning them.

M50w%20system-550x413.jpg

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/M50W

Last edited:
I have a set of the pro medias. I've had them for 3 years...or more. No issues, like others have reported... I got them for $99 though.

To be honest with you guys these speakers go on sale about every 12 months. You would be better off buying something like the Swan M50W speakers. Yes, they cost almost double but they are more than twice as good, sound incredible and are beautiful and if you keep them forever what's an extra $80 over a couple decades? Don't make the mistake of buying the Promedia speakers and not being satisfied and wasting time and money returning them.

M50w%20system-550x413.jpg

http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/M50W

Your link says "Out of Stock" So this is worthless. They look nice.

Another happy ProMedia user here.
I've had my pair for about 7 years now, and they have been through 3 moves in that time, and have been fantastic. I'm no audio junkie, and I rarely listen to music on them (they are for gaming and netflix), but I have been very happy with the sound quality. Bass is a little too aggressive, IMHO, but for my uses, that isn't terrible.

I have a set of the pro medias. I've had them for 3 years...or more. No issues, like others have reported... I got them for $99 though.

Mine have been on in the bedroom for some 2 years straight now.

The only issues with your suggestions is they have a HUGE footprint. I had a NAD D3020 Hybrid receiver with a pair of PSB B4's (sounded great) but they simply took-up too much space. They are now in our living room. Went with a pre-made system. Cambridge Audio Minx M5's. Bought a 2nd pair for back-up. For $99.99 they are a steal.

Agree with you 100% which is why the first sentence of my post mentions the issue, and I brought it up again later in the post. For a lot of people, bookshelf-sized speakers are too big and a total dealbreaker.

Have both the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Logitech Z623 speaker sets. Hard to go wrong with either one for casual computer and movie watching. I also use an old 2.1 system from Dell (Harmon Kardon HK395?) that's just not nearly as punchy, but I generally have the bass near minimum anyway.

I remember similar reviews for the ProMedias a few years ago when I got them, some had duds, most seem happy with them, I think they are a great deal and impressive for anyone who has just settled for $30-50 desktop plastic speakers and want something a bit better for not much more money. They are certainly impressive from a build and sound standpoint for an all-in-one kit for around $100.

$0.02

Those Mackie CR3/CR4's look really tempting. Price is right too. I'll have to go and read some reviews on them (mostly with interest to how neutral they and what their actual response is like), but that would be a nice upgrade to the built ins that are in my iMac.

Those Mackie CR3/CR4's look really tempting. Price is right too. I'll have to go and read some reviews on them (mostly with interest to how neutral they and what their actual response is like), but that would be a nice upgrade to the built ins that are in my iMac.

See if there are any music stores like Guitar Center in your area that may have them in stock to demo.

What's the general thought on swan speakers? The 2.1s is what I was looking at

What's the general thought on swan speakers? The 2.1s is what I was looking at

They are excellent overall from what I understand. The problem is Swan has discontinued their computer speakers. If you can find them (maybe eBay) @ a decent price, then do it. The Kilpsch PM sound great for the money, just that it's a "roll-the-dice" affair. You could get a set that will last, then again maybe not. I love my Cambridge Audio Minx M5's for $99.99. Insane that a 2" driver can produce that much sound.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...w/usb/1.html?gclid=CKHJtrC3qckCFcYRHwodosQL9g

Last edited:
Back