Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System $99.99 BestBuy Today Only

chizow

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
The ones that came with my HP desktop 13 years ago are still going strong. I had an issue with the volume knob causing scratching noises when you adjusted the sound. All I had to do was take apart the casing, add a little bit of oil, and it's been working fine since.

I bought a pair today. I almost .... ALMOST got them to price match the Bluetooth version since the others were out of stock. But ... some retard came along and said "no, we can't do that" which made the one guy that was going to do it get scared or something.

$99 is a smoking deal. I can use these anywhere in the house.

Ugh, sold out in Ft. Worth Area.

Guess I'll be using my Cambridge Soundworks FPS4000's for a little while longer.

I had an issue with the volume knob causing scratching noises ... All I had to do was take apart the casing, add a little bit of oil, and it's been working fine since.
Didn't it feel great once that was fixed?

I had the same issue w/my set about a year ago. Aside from having to purchase the oil/contact cleaner it only cost me about 5 minutes.

And despite this being a somewhat common problem, ProMedia 2.1 remains the gold standard at its price point, especially if you want a sub. I've since upgraded to Presonus Eris E5s + a Temblor T8, but that also required a DAC and decent cables (I experienced too much interference otherwise), not to mention the time required to fine tune to my listening environment (well worth it, though).

When I reflect on how much I like my current Presonus setup, and how much I paid for it, I can't help but think about my ProMedia 2.1 set as well. For the price it's really well put together and continues to stand the test of time.

Last edited:
as another witness these speakers are WELL worth the money they sound terrific and have been going strong for years for me

I am still using a Promedia 2.1 THX (2002) and a 5.1 (2002) system on some machines here...have the remnants of a 4.1 that I had awhile ago...I think they are better than "bang for the buck" speakers

Last edited:
I'm kind of a Bass snob, and that 6.5'' subwoofer sounds terrible compared to the Klipsch promedia Ultra 8'' subwoofer. If only they would stop selling the 6.5'' subwoofer and replace it with the 8'' subwoofer. I'm not sure of Klipsch still makes the SWS 8''' subwoofer add-on anymore, but if you are able to score a standalone Promedia 8'' sub to replace the 6.5'', then do it because its totally worth the difference. I run the 2.1 speakers with an 8'' sub instead and there's a noticeable difference. The bass sounds way better, not because its louder, but because it actually hits the lows that I want to hear (after placing it in the opposite corner of the room, etc). I also think that Klipsch should make the cables longer so you can place the sub further away.

I'm kind of a Bass snob, and that 6.5'' subwoofer sounds terrible compared to the Klipsch promedia Ultra 8'' subwoofer. If only they would stop selling the 6.5'' subwoofer and replace it with the 8'' subwoofer. I'm not sure of Klipsch still makes the SWS 8''' subwoofer add-on anymore, but if you are able to score a standalone Promedia 8'' sub to replace the 6.5'', then do it because its totally worth the difference. I run the 2.1 speakers with an 8'' sub instead and there's a noticeable difference. The bass sounds way better, not because its louder, but because it actually hits the lows that I want to hear (after placing it in the opposite corner of the room, etc). I also think that Klipsch should make the cables longer so you can place the sub further away.

I actually thing the sub is pretty damned good for any speaker set, much less a $99 one.

I noticed something interesting though. There is a new version of this speaker set out that has Bluteeths. It's $199 (OUCH !!!) Looks exactly the same except for the Bluteeths support.

I'm wondering if the old set is being phased out ?

Damn. I think I'm right :(

upload_2016-11-20_21-6-28.png

They do have the new Bluteeths version on sale now though:

upload_2016-11-20_21-7-9.png

Have 10x pairs of these on various systems working fine for the better part of the last decade.
Can't beat a dedicated DAC/receiver + speaker setup, but it's convenient.

Have 10x pairs of these on various systems working fine for the better part of the last decade.
Can't beat a dedicated DAC/receiver + speaker setup, but it's convenient.

Agreed. I have a pair sitting somewhere in the basement that works great but have moved on.

I actually thing the sub is pretty damned good for any speaker set, much less a $99 one.

I noticed something interesting though. There is a new version of this speaker set out that has Bluteeths. It's $199 (OUCH !!!) Looks exactly the same except for the Bluteeths support.

I'm wondering if the old set is being phased out ?

Damn. I think I'm right :(
Still a 6.5'' subwoofer. I really wish they would at least phase out the 6.5'' and only go with the 8''.

Good deal. I didn't realize these were like 150, I've seen them a few times at 120. thanks for sharing

Snagged one! My only concern is the subwoofer, which I'll probably turn down low to prevent the inevitable low frequency distortion and audio imbalance. I'm figuring that I can upgrade the subwoofer at a later time if desired.

Nice its back in stock for my locale, in for 1 shipped. Can't be assed to go out there.

My Klipsch Promedia 4.1 is still going strong. I've owned the set for over 10 years and replaced the subwoofer drivers once with brand new ones directly from Klipsch for about $20.

I bought these during the last sale a week ago for $99 and had them shipped to me. They sent me the Bluetooth ones and I didn't say anything, I feel bad too. May you guys be lucky as me.

Because of this thread, I got a pair of used Klipsch satellites to replace the satellites on my Logitech Z5500 system, and yes they sound much better.....Thanks

I bought these during the last sale a week ago for $99 and had them shipped to me. They sent me the Bluetooth ones and I didn't say anything, I feel bad too. May you guys be lucky as me.

Send them to me and I'll send you the regulars, no need to feel bad. Halp is here!

They may have shipped the BT version because they ran out of the regulars (sold out again now actually), I do remember the deal on these ended early bc they sold out online, either way great deal!

Snagged one! My only concern is the subwoofer, which I'll probably turn down low to prevent the inevitable low frequency distortion and audio imbalance. I'm figuring that I can upgrade the subwoofer at a later time if desired.

You won't need to. It's way better than $99 deserves.

Because of this thread, I got a pair of used Klipsch satellites to replace the satellites on my Logitech Z5500 system, and yes they sound much better.....Thanks

I have a complete set of 5 of those :)

I want to comment here.

Back in the winter of 2000 I bought a pair of these when they were first released. 16 years ago. I think I paid $229? But I am not sure. They were made here in America and they were so new off the assembly line that you could smell the paint stiff drying so to speak.

The first thing we played, my roommate and I was Imperial March from one of the Star War movies. The bass was deep and tight. I was blown away. Since then, I've moved on. They were sold or, something happened to them.

Fast forward to last week when I picked these up for $99. Let me just say that, they have cheapened the holy fck out of them to the point the bass is spongy, loose and undefined. The bass cabinet is also substantially lighter. The bass and volume knobs are also cheap and stiff to move. A sign of being cheaply made. For $99, I'll keep them. I blow $100 dollars on crap every 2 or 3 days so why not keep 'em.

For those of you thinking about getting these. Get the older versions if possible. The Chinese bought Klipsch I think 3 or 4 years ago and these things have gotten cheaper and cheaper.

I want to comment here.

Back in the winter of 2000 I bought a pair of these when they were first released. 16 years ago. I think I paid $229? But I am not sure. They were made here in America and they were so new off the assembly line that you could smell the paint stiff drying so to speak.

The first thing we played, my roommate and I was Imperial March from one of the Star War movies. The bass was deep and tight. I was blown away. Since then, I've moved on. They were sold or, something happened to them.

Fast forward to last week when I picked these up for $99. Let me just say that, they have cheapened the holy fck out of them to the point the bass is spongy, loose and undefined. The bass cabinet is also substantially lighter. The bass and volume knobs are also cheap and stiff to move. A sign of being cheaply made. For $99, I'll keep them. I blow $100 dollars on crap every 2 or 3 days so why not keep 'em.

For those of you thinking about getting these. Get the older versions if possible. The Chinese bought Klipsch I think 3 or 4 years ago and these things have gotten cheaper and cheaper.

It could be the amp section? The old subs were plagued by premature deaths.

I want to comment here.

Definitely not what they used to be (box felt very light), but $99 is about right for these. You're still getting what you pay for, you just don't have to pay as much.

I want to comment here.

Audiovox owns them and Klipsch has been using China for quite a while, even before the purchase. The drivers and all other wiring is done in Arkansas although these put-together systems might be completely made in China.

Either way the bass sounds the same to me as it did when I originally bought one of these back in 99 or 00 or whatever year it was. The weight of the box has very little to do with output at this size as it's mostly EQ. If you are having issues try using some EQ or placing the sub in a different location.

I wish they still made the 5.1 ultras, I still have mine, super badass. Probably won't get rid of it.

Audiovox owns them and Klipsch has been using China for quite a while, even before the purchase. The drivers and all other wiring is done in Arkansas although these put-together systems might be completely made in China.

Either way the bass sounds the same to me as it did when I originally bought one of these back in 99 or 00 or whatever year it was. The weight of the box has very little to do with output at this size as it's mostly EQ. If you are having issues try using some EQ or placing the sub in a different location.

I wish they still made the 5.1 ultras, I still have mine, super badass. Probably won't get rid of it.

Me too. I can't really tell a difference between a decade ago and today. Well, except that the control pod connector doesn't rip itself off the main board, which was the biggest issue with these back then.

If they were to bring the ProMedia Ultra 5.1's back I'd buy a set in a heartbeat. It's hard to find a computer speaker set that plays musically as well as gamey. These do it well.

I found an old original pair off Craigslist. Guy bought them 11 years ago. They were pretty cold to the touch when he brought them out so I let them warm up in the house for a few days before powering them on. Just did a test and ...... I cannot believe how much better they sound.

I'm pretty sure the AMP has been cheapened up for starters. I tried to do some audio recordings of both pair but the differences do not translate well at least to my ears. I will possibly do a video at some point.

Today's Klipsch Promedia's are a shell of their former self.

buy dig had them for 110. I picked a set up. i had 5.1 set up still. (Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1) I always wanted the creative 700 gigaworks as a kid lol.

Back