Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker Set - $124.99 @ BB

I have a set in the closet I'd happily give you if you were near me. The Z5500 may be ok for gaming, but they are deplorable for music because of the fixed, non-adjustable 125hz crossover Logitech used. Horrible design decision.

Oh, and they have the infamous Control Panel backlight issue that Logitech never would admit to or fix.
lol never noticed that backlight thing. I have had this unit for like solid 5 years.

you may be right the reason I didnt get these was because I heard my friends system and it was distorting like crazy at high volume and it really turned me off from these. May be his system was just shit.

Great set for the money. I had one set for 4+ years and the sub finally blew out. Seems like a common problem but no complaint from me since it lasted this long. So I upgraded to entry reference grade monitors and subwoofer, 2 x JBL LSR308 and JBL LSR310 sub. Obviously different class and price tag but the quality improvement is night and day. But for around $125, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is still by far the best bang for the buck.

I'm still rocking my original Klipsch v.2-400 speakers from 15 years ago and I leave them plugged in and on all day every day. Only problem I've had is the woofer surrounds dry-rotting and having to find replacement woofers on ebay. Though if I was to replace the whole set, I'd probably go for reference monitors and sub :D I don't think anything smaller would even compare.

Docsavage I have the same ones! I used mine on a TV for a long time. 2 of the speakers crapped out by klip replaced them and now they are working great. Still can't believe they are this old.

The BEST 2.1 speaker set-up out of a box. You can score them for $99.90 @ Best Buy on sale every now & again. I bought a set of Cambridge Audio Minx 5 because of my desktop space. You can't go wrong with this set-up.

I had Logitech Z-2300 speakers but they hummed out of the satellite speakers fresh out of the box no matter the volume level. After 3 or 4 years of listening to it, I decided I was sick of it and sold them. Bought a set of ProMedia 2.1s and I love them. No hum. When not gaming the silence is bliss. The only thing I wish they had was an on/off button. (Yes, I could use a power strip for that)

There's a guy.....whom you can find on ebay and I will link to, who fixes the Klipsch Promedia amps and modifies them to what they SHOULD have been.

SNIP

Contact him via e-bay if you want/need his services, he'll either create a e-bay listing for what you're looking for, or you can negotiate offline. Klipsch 2.1 Amplifier Subwoofer Upgraded ProMedia THX $15 Refnd Speaker Warranty

If you're seriously willing to go to Ebay to get these mediocre computer speakers to "sound like they should have sounded", how about going to Ebay (Craigslist and Goodwill work, too) and getting secondhand speakers? There are many bookshelf pairs that you can get with a Lepai amp for <100$ that will likely blow this set out of the water. No, they don't have a subwoofer but if you think you're actually getting anywhere close to a decent subwoofer for 100$ (with amp and 2 speakers included in that price), you're being silly.

I mean I have no doubts that these will outperform many gamers' current (often meager) computer sound systems, but you can say that about many things. I went to Goodwill and found a pair of Realistic Minimus 7 speakers for 15 bucks, and can confidently say that with a 20$-ish Lepai amp, they would just crap all over most gamers' current setups... >_>

Anyhow I'm thinking of making a "good secondhand buys" topic in the Computer Audio section, if I stop being lazy long enough.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're seriously willing to go to Ebay to get these mediocre computer speakers to "sound like they should have sounded", how about going to Ebay (Craigslist and Goodwill work, too) and getting secondhand speakers? There are many bookshelf pairs that you can get with a Lepai amp for <100$ that will likely blow this set out of the water. No, they don't have a subwoofer but if you think you're actually getting anywhere close to a decent subwoofer for 100$ (with amp and 2 speakers included in that price), you're being silly.

I mean I have no doubts that these will outperform many gamers' current (often meager) computer sound systems, but you can say that about many things. I went to Goodwill and found a pair of Realistic Minimus 7 speakers for 15 bucks, and can confidently say that with a 20$-ish Lepai amp, they would just crap all over most gamers' current setups... >_>

Anyhow I'm thinking of making a "good secondhand buys" topic in the Computer Audio section, if I stop being lazy long enough.

I'm not sure where these comments came from, but I can tell you that what I was speaking about earlier is a service to "correct a design flaw" in the original amplifier design. It's a very hard sell for the Promedia 2.1....but it's a no brainer for the Promedia 5.1 Ultra.

Yes the satellite speakers have a similar sonic hole, just like the Bose acoustimas units, but the hole is only 150hz wide and -8db deep at its center, otherwise you can EQ these to be +- 1.5db 30-18K.

Case in point, I just purchased a mint condition Klipish Promedia 5.1 Ultras from craigslist yesterday for $15. I'll spend $70-$120 having the amplifier repaired and I'll have something that is worth every penny of the $399 that set is worth.

As for what I plan on doing with it..... I think I'll tinker with a 7.2 surround setup and then maybe only use the sub section for my TV, mated to a set of custom transmission line speakers I designed based on Speaker Project - The Copper Project -- 8/23/2011

I decided on these but had considered the Logitech Z623 and a brief look at the Arion Legacy Deep Sonar 750 set

Does anyone know if these speakers draw power when you press on the main satellite and it turns red vs green which means it's on?

Back