cageymaru

Fully [H]
So Klipsch is having a Christmas in July event and I noticed that Amazon, Best Buy and NewEgg have the same products on sale also. I would assume that this is being done since Amazon's Prime Day is Monday July 16th. Hardforum community member alxlwson loves his Klipsch speakers so his thread in the Computer Audio forum is the inspiration behind me making this thread. There are a lot more products on sale, but these really stood out to me as they could be the building blocks for a majorly kick ass audio system for PC Gaming, movie watching, music, etc.

The one product on sale that really stood out to me were these R-15PM powered monitor speakers with USB and optical in going by the product page. Of course it has all the usual connections like RCA and even Phono, but the USB and optical would work perfect for PC Gaming as you would have a pristine, noise-free connection to your PC. It even has a Sub out connection which solidified it as a solid PC Gaming option as adding a subwoofer really adds immersion. A single connection to your PC cuts down on clutter and makes everything look clean!

Powered Speaker with all the accouterments.

R-15PM POWERED SPEAKERS

$349 on Amazon.

$349 on Best Buy but they also have Open Box sets for $269! Value!

$349 on NewEgg.

Passive speaker and small Class D T-amp combo.

If you would like to do a small Class D T-amp and the R-15M MONITOR SPEAKER combo you can get similar results for even less! But you lose many features of the more expensive set mentioned above.

Amazon link to product page but they are currently sold out!

$125 at Best Buy. Open Box is a yawn at $115.

NewEgg product page.

Class D T-amps are available in many online stores. I order mine from Parts Express and Amazon personally. Here are a couple but there are literally a hundred more options out there!

Lepai LP-2020TI is 20 watts per channel.

$37 at Amazon.

Dayton Audio DTA-120BT Class D Mini Amplifier is 60 watts per channel and features Bluetooth.

$89 at Amazon.

I would spring for the Dayton Audio T-amp if it fits into your budget as it adds Bluetooth and a ton more power. There is a smaller set of Klipsch in the Christmas in July Event link that are $99. They use smaller drivers so I would get those if you are 100% going to add a subwoofer at a later date. I like big subs and I cannot lie. Yeah I'm biased towards adding a subwoofer. :)

Subwoofers on sale.

If you really want to bring out the sound of your PC Gaming rig I would recommend adding a subwoofer to your setup. Again Klipsch has you covered with their subwoofers on sale. Here is the product page for the 10" version and the product page for the 12" version. If you look through the first link in this post you will see a version of the 10" subwoofer that is wireless. I will link a Parts Express video which shows you how to make one of these wireless for cheap at the end of this post.

R-10SW SUBWOOFER is the 300 watt 10" version.

$175 on Amazon.

$175 on Best Buy. Open box is available but less exciting as they are $155.00.

$175 on NewEgg.

R-12SW SUBWOOFER is the 400 watt 12" version.

$299 at Amazon.

$299 at Best Buy. Again the Open Box versions are only $236! Incredible value!

$299 on NewEgg.

Wireless subwoofers! What kind of witchcraft is this?

Now I'm going to show how to make the subwoofer wireless for cheap as some of us have dogs that like to chew wires. Subwoofers are omnidirectional so they can be placed anywhere in the room within reason. Going wireless is particularly advantageous if you just don't have the room under your computer desk but want the full audio experience. Less wires and clutter is always a good thing.

Parts Express sells a Dayton Audio $69 wireless audio kit that allows you to make any audio device wireless. You can add three additional receivers to the system. The Klipsch wireless system is $130 so I'm going to recommend the Dayton Audio system due to overall value. Also you can plug the Dayton Audio transmitter directly into your PC via USB as it has a built in DAC. This makes hookup a breeze.

Buy the Dayton Audio Wave-Link WLS System 2.4 GHz Full Range Wireless Pair on Amazon for $69.

How the Parts Express system works.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
LOL, I've tried what happens when I put something in my cart:

$175.00
+ $249.00 Shipping & Import Fees

For a nice pair of powered monitors with a sub out and remote control that's not really bad. Throw in the sub and you've got a NICE PC system without the bulk of a receiver.

Oh, yes. I absolutely love my pair of The Sixes. I have them paired with the R10swi wireless sub. It's pretty awesome being able to put the sub exactly where I want it and not having to run an RCA cable.

More deals dropped today. This setup here is very enticing for the Family room.....

Reactions: zrikz
like this
I still regret not getting the ProMedia 5.1 long ago, before they canned it. Wish they would have brought out a successor.

With people paying $600+ for a single GPU this day and age (and completely draining any supply), I think Klipsch would do well with another $350 5.1 system, as long as it was compatible with HDTVs and consoles (like the Logitech Z-906).

I still regret not getting the ProMedia 5.1 long ago, before they canned it. Wish they would have brought out a successor.

With people paying $600+ for a single GPU this day and age (and completely draining any supply), I think Klipsch would do well with another $350 5.1 system, as long as it was compatible with HDTVs and consoles (like the Logitech Z-906).
Idk. Seems to me sound always took a back seat to everything. While a good setup adds a lot to movies/games. It is hard to justify the price for a good setup for most people. My setup is by no means high end but still cost me nearly 2k. People stare blankly at me when I tell them how much I paid and don't understand.

Idk. Seems to me sound always took a back seat to everything. While a good setup adds a lot to movies/games. It is hard to justify the price for a good setup for most people. My setup is by no means high end but still cost me nearly 2k. People stare blankly at me when I tell them how much I paid and don't understand.

Yeah, I can understand that, since it's hard for audio companies to overcome the consumer brainwashing by the TV marketing teams that push "has 2x10w surround sound speakers hooked to our patented internal sound processor that is Dolby, DTS, and THX compatible and a 3 band equalizer!"...

There are benefits and drawbacks to horn based speakers. So read on

1. Horm based speakers are incredibly efficient. They have a good dB/Watt rating usually
2. Horn speakers are very "Forward" and in your face. That means midrange and upper end that pushes hard. This is good for hard music: Techno/House/Metal
3. Horn speakers achieve the above effects by the Horn which narrows the "spread" of the upper frequencies. This LOWERS the sweet spot area. Higher frequencies are already very directional and don't really bounce off walls as much as lower frequencies. Most manufacturers try to widen the sweet spot (radiation pattern) NOT lower it. As you move off the sweet spot you'll notice decreased mid and upper frequencies
4. The horn material is typically hard. That in itself creates a resonance effect of bouncing waves which have a tendency to make it "sizzly" on the upper end and an ice pick in some people's ear. The sound isn't as clear or true as more open designs. Most open designs strive to reduce resonance caused by cabinet interaction. But this is necessary for Horns to achieve their efficiency.

Directionality and Efficiency are why you see horns for PA systems and Concert Speakers.

I'm not slamming horns, but physics does play a role here. So buy based on your needs. Not one speaker at ANY price fits every ones needs. (Sort of like no one car at any price fits everyone's needs) You have pros and cons with each design, preference and purpose.

There are benefits and drawbacks to horn based speakers. So read on

1. Horm based speakers are incredibly efficient. They have a good dB/Watt rating usually
2. Horn speakers are very "Forward" and in your face. That means midrange and upper end that pushes hard. This is good for hard music: Techno/House/Metal
3. Horn speakers achieve the above effects by the Horn which narrows the "spread" of the upper frequencies. This LOWERS the sweet spot area. Higher frequencies are already very directional and don't really bounce off walls as much as lower frequencies. Most manufacturers try to widen the sweet spot (radiation pattern) NOT lower it. As you move off the sweet spot you'll notice decreased mid and upper frequencies
4. The horn material is typically hard. That in itself creates a resonance effect of bouncing waves which have a tendency to make it "sizzly" on the upper end and an ice pick in some people's ear. The sound isn't as clear or true as more open designs. Most open designs strive to reduce resonance caused by cabinet interaction. But this is necessary for Horns to achieve their efficiency.

Directionality and Efficiency are why you see horns for PA systems and Concert Speakers.

I'm not slamming horns, but physics does play a role here. So buy based on your needs. Not one speaker at ANY price fits every ones needs. (Sort of like no one car at any price fits everyone's needs) You have pros and cons with each design, preference and purpose.

Indeed. I grew up with horns, Klipsch LaSalla's specifically. When I listen to speakers that don't have horn loaded tweeters, I think they sound dull. I am a metal head as well. I enjoy the "bright" sound of horns. Of course, with those amazing highs, you do need some nice woofers for punchy lows and a good crossover network to help keep the music blended. Horn loaded speakers aren't for everyone, but they are definitely for me! Newer speakers from Klipsch have gotten rid of the metal horn that and diffusers and have gone to a more "flexible" material like glass reinforced plastic.

If you like the way movies sound when you go to a high end theater, then you'll like a horn loaded speaker. Most movie theaters use them, and most of those use Klipsch. If horns aren't your thing for music, no worries. But I truly feel you're missing out if you don't have a horn loaded center channel for HT duties.

Indeed. I grew up with horns, Klipsch LaSalla's specifically. When I listen to speakers that don't have horn loaded tweeters, I think they sound dull. I am a metal head as well. I enjoy the "bright" sound of horns. Of course, with those amazing highs, you do need some nice woofers for punchy lows and a good crossover network to help keep the music blended. Horn loaded speakers aren't for everyone, but they are definitely for me! Newer speakers from Klipsch have gotten rid of the metal horn that and diffusers and have gone to a more "flexible" material like glass reinforced plastic.

If you like the way movies sound when you go to a high end theater, then you'll like a horn loaded speaker. Most movie theaters use them, and most of those use Klipsch. If horns aren't your thing for music, no worries. But I truly feel you're missing out if you don't have a horn loaded center channel for HT duties.

I agree with this. But I will note movie theaters use horn loaded for the efficiency, not because they are more accurate. With movie theaters, there is a much greater distance between source and listener. As such a directed speaker makes more sense as you aren't directing energy off axis where no one is sitting.

For HT duties a horn load has problems with sibilance (Edit: darn auto correct) in speech. It's part of that horn resonance issue I talked about. Hence the joke, "How do you pronounce Klipsch...'Klipssssssh'"

I agree with this. But I will note movie theaters use horn loaded for the efficiency, not because they are more accurate. With movie theaters, there is a much greater distance between source and listener. As such a directed speaker makes more sense as you aren't directing energy off axis where no one is sitting.

For HT duties a horn load has problems with sibilance (Edit: darn auto correct) in speech. It's part of that horn resonance issue I talked about. Hence the joke, "How do you pronounce Klipsch...'Klipssssssh'"

Hmm. Always been my understanding that horns were the best when it came to accuracy

Hmm. Always been my understanding that horns were the best when it came to accuracy

If that were the case, more studios would be using them. The vast vast majority of studios use Bryston Amps with B&W Speakers.

If that were the case, more studios would be using them. The vast vast majority of studios use Bryston Amps with B&W Speakers.

Studios generally aren't set up for horns. You need room for them, and the few studios that I've been in have not been built for them, not even close. Really though, you can't have all the studio shit there, and then also have horns.

Back