Klipsch 5.1 Promedia vs. Logitech Z-5500

Pinipig523 said:
How does a single driver have superior soundstaging compared to one with a dedicated tweeter and midrange?
I find that you can get better soundstaging with single drivers because the sounds are coming from exactly the same source, instead of separate drivers. Same source = same end point, which should always be your listening area.
I find it very easy to distinguish exactly where sound is coming from, even in a system that is almost perfectly set up, so soundstaging is a huge problem for me.
It's just my personal preference...

however, as much as i try to support the 5500's, i just can't stand the bass. It so..... car audio. You know those poor high schoolers/college kids with their civics that think their subs are sooo badass. They like to bump their sloppy bass. The sub of the 5500 just keeps reminding me of that :confused:

banGerprawN said:
I find that you can get better soundstaging with single drivers because the sounds are coming from exactly the same source, instead of separate drivers. Same source = same end point, which should always be your listening area.
I find it very easy to distinguish exactly where sound is coming from, even in a system that is almost perfectly set up, so soundstaging is a huge problem for me.

Just curious if you mean this in terms of PC speakers or HT ones, as the market for single-driver HT speakers is barren. All I know of is a fwe people building modified transmission line cabinets and using the best midrange drivers they can find. My current speakers are a D'Appolito array, and I don't notice decoherence until I'm within 2 feet.

I think a good way to look at this is to consider how many 2-10k speakers have just 1 driver...I couldn't name one.

Lastly, digital room correction and phase coherence routines along with clever speaker and crossover design can essentially mitigate any of the problems associated with multi-element speakers.

banGerprawN said:

well, if you ever make it from australia to new jersey, you are more than welcome to come sit in my listening room so i can disprove this to you... :)

BO(V)BZ said:
Just curious if you mean this in terms of PC speakers or HT ones, as the market for single-driver HT speakers is barren. All I know of is a fwe people building modified transmission line cabinets and using the best midrange drivers they can find. My current speakers are a D'Appolito array, and I don't notice decoherence until I'm within 2 feet.

I think a good way to look at this is to consider how many 2-10k speakers have just 1 driver...I couldn't name one.

Lastly, digital room correction and phase coherence routines along with clever speaker and crossover design can essentially mitigate any of the problems associated with multi-element speakers.
First up, yep, PC speakers (this is the "Computer Audio" forum, after all, not www.hometheatre.com...:p), and second, I expect I should have added exactly just how far, or more accurately, how very little my budget extends. Splashing out for me is like, 2k for a complete speaker set minus the LFE. Meaning, I'm speaking from my experience, not outside of it. Anyone who has a budget larger than mine can easily disregard my posts...

ccotenj said:
well, if you ever make it from australia to new jersey, you are more than welcome to come sit in my listening room so i can disprove this to you... :)
Ahaha, I'd honestly relish the opportunity to sit in an awesome home theatre setup, except for the fact that I'd probably never want to leave, lol.

banGerprawN said:
First up, yep, PC speakers (this is the "Computer Audio" forum, after all, not www.hometheatre.com...:p), and second, I expect I should have added exactly just how far, or more accurately, how very little my budget extends. Splashing out for me is like, 2k for a complete speaker set minus the LFE. Meaning, I'm speaking from my experience, not outside of it. Anyone who has a budget larger than mine can easily disregard my posts...

If PC audio is your background for experience, what you are most likely experiencing is time/phase decoherence from the crappy internal crossovers in the speaker, not a design flaw inherent in multi-driver speakers themselves. I know that many very high-end brands utilize line arrays of dozens of speakers, such as Infinity and Von Schweikert Audio.

Infinity.... eh.... I personally don't think they are too great. I would prefer stuff from Paradigm, Mirage, Energy, MB Quart and maybe some Onix. Personal preference I guess

Xeero said:
Infinity.... eh.... I personally don't think they are too great. I would prefer stuff from Paradigm, Mirage, Energy, MB Quart and maybe some Onix. Personal preference I guess

really? how many pairs of infinity prelude mts speakers have you auditioned?

QFT. I REALLY wish Logitech would use tweeters. The sound is WAY too muddy for my liking.

And I agree that their bass needs a little.... control? :p

Maybe non ported is the way to go. :confused:

The absolute only thing that is keeping me from getting the Klipsch's is lack of treble control. Its a dumb thing but I am picky when it comes to treble ;)

What you can do is add some tweeters. I did that and the clarity is awesome. It's depend on your taste. I like my highs to be really crisp and clear with no distortion. I have some Klipsch satellites and those use titanium tweeters, they are warmer in sound but distort when highs are push through. They distort.
If you want the cleanest crisp highs, soft dome tweeters are the best. But if you want warm sound from the highs then the titanium tweeters are better. I like my highs and bass to be as accurate and clean as possible.

Um, dude... why bring a post back from the dead.... its over 5 years old?

Hey I have some Klipsch speakers and love them....uhhm yeah nevermind. I just noticed the dates on this thread. I was about to do a search for Klipsch Promedia Ultras because I've never heard of them lol.

Back