klipsch 5.1 problems (help - needs to be solved in 2 days)

DyNe__

[H]ard|Gawd
Im switching speakers with my friend. My friend has a set of z680s, and I have a set of klipsch 5.1s (the old version, not the ultras). The reason for the switch is that I'll only have optical in for the speakers when I leave for college in a couple days.

so, I brought the klipschs over to his house, and we switched the subs and control pods. His speakers are screwed into the ceiling, and we didn't want to bother with them yet. At that point, the sound worked fine.

That was a few days ago. Now, the sound turns off every 10 seconds or so, but the sub still plays. I guess it wasnt so bad at first, and then progressively got worse (I havnt been to his house, so Im just goin off of what he told me). My friend unplugged and reconnected everything, but that didnt work. The sound works fine and everything when he hooks his z680 sub back up.

He's using a TBSC sound card with the analog out in both cases.

The only thing I can think of is that the satellites from the z680s some how fried my klipsch sub? I cant see a reason the z680s sats and my klispch sub would been incompatible, I didnt even consider that when I hooked the sub up.

any ideas whats wrong?

any ideas whats wrong?

The sats and sub of each set were expressly designed to work together. The impedance of the satellites of the 680's may be too low (or too high, though that is less likely) for the Klipsch sub to handle properly.
Given the unlikely scenario of near-identical effective impedance, I would strongly suspect that the Klipsch satellites are higher efficiency than the Logitech sat's, meaning the amplifiers in the Klipsch sub must work harder (put out more power) in order to drive the satellites to similar volume levels and therefore could be overheating.

Most likely it is a combination of both impedance mismatching and differential satellite efficiency.

I doubt the Klipsch sub has been permanently damaged unless he's really been pushing the system. You can play around with the systems some more, but I'd suggest keeping them together in their original states.

edited for clarity

Originally posted by leukotriene
The sats and sub of each set were expressly designed to work together. The impedance of the satellites of the 680's may be too low (or too high, though that is less likely) for the Klipsch sub to handle properly.
Given the unlikely scenario of near-identical effective impedance, I would strongly suspect that the Klipsch satellites are higher efficiency than the Logitech sat's, meaning the amplifiers in the Klipsch sub must work harder (put out more power) in order to drive the satellites to similar volume levels and therefore could be overheating.

Most likely it is a combination of both impedance mismatching and differential satellite efficiency.

I doubt the Klipsch sub has been permanently damaged unless he's really been pushing the system. You can play around with the systems some more, but I'd suggest keeping them together in their original states.

edited for clarity

thanks, I'll try matching the sets later today

I just picked the speakers from my friends house

yeah somethings definitely fried. Every minute or two, the speakers all cut out and just the sub plays, even with the klipsch satellites

I also talked to the kid I got the speakers from. He bought them from Best Buy around 8 months ago, so the speakers are still under warranty. The problem is, he doesnt have the receipt at school, and its unlikely that he has it at home. He bought the speakers with his parents credit card, which has since expired and he doesnt know if he (or his parents) can find the numbers or a credit card statement. The box and everything is also gone

SO, returning might be a bit difficult, if even possible at all now. Does anyone know exactly what might have went wrong inside the sub, or if its fixable? (IE, a simple solder job might fix it?)

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but thats a common problem with the old promedia 5.1 units ( not the ultras ) pre spring 2003.

There was a manufacturing defect in the Hybrid Transistor ( electronics on the amp) that caused the system to go Caput , either randomly or after heavy use. There have been literally hundreds if not more people with the same problem, I had to return my original pm5.1's twice, and the last time the newer ultra model was out so they replaced them with those at no charge.

HERES the thing, IF you still have your box, your warranty and a bill of sale, you contact klipsch either via email or telephone and explain to them your problem if its still underwaranty and you purchased it from an authorized dealer they will send you a set of Ultras as a replacement a few days after a courier comes to pick up your broken set. Sometimes they also send a shipping label which is nice. In any case you might wanna check out the klipsch forums for further help as there have been countless people in the same scenario as you.

Hope this helps. :)

you got ultras your second time!
i envy you!
i sent mine back 4 times and #5 seems to be working fine...
but now i hope that they crap out, because i hear that the ultras kick ass with bass

Originally posted by dts-Swerv

HERES the thing, IF you still have your box, your warranty and a bill of sale, you contact klipsch either via email or telephone and explain to them your problem if its still underwaranty and you purchased it from an authorized dealer they will send you a set of Ultras as a replacement a few days after a courier comes to pick up your broken set. Sometimes they also send a shipping label which is nice. In any case you might wanna check out the klipsch forums for further help as there have been countless people in the same scenario as you.

Hope this helps. :)

You can use any box you'd like. It bloody cost me $60 to have it wrapped and shipped though... stupid UPS store and their $25 boxes... :mad:

Mine was out of warranty, the lady I talked to (Sunshine Kelly or something...) told me to fill out the extended warranty thing (Adds another year) and as soon as I did it, she's like... "Uh oh, it sounds like your Promedias just died on you! It's a good thing you filled out the free extended warranty form." :p

I hope they replace mine with the ultras... but just getting speakers back will be nice...

Back