Klipsch 4.1's + Audigy 1 or Onboard Soundstorm?

Which would produce better sound? I have an ABIT NF7-S, and I will use the Klipsch 4.1's and Plantronics Audio 90's.

Thanks in advance
--Seph :D

Well for your headphones Audigy without a question.

For your speakers they are quite evenly matched. Not worth it spending money on an Audigy 1 for EAX HD imho.

However I got your headset and just ordered an Audigy 2. Mainly because Soundstorm analogue sound don´t cut it. And an Audigy don´t cost that much nowadays anyway.

I have the same setup as you and I would definately advise getting an audigy 2.

I was very dissappointed in the sound coming out of my Klipsch 4.1's when using the onboard sound from my nforce2 board. I popped in my friends audigy 1 and the sound was almost identical. I know the nforce uses the AC97 for analog sound, but im not sure what the audigy 1 uses. I recently bought an Audigy 2 and the sound is noticeable better. The high's are much cleaner and games sound awesome.

So my advice to you would be to sell that audigy 1 on the boards and upgrade to an audigy 2. Also I bought a pair of Sennheiser pc150's to replace my Plantronic audio 90's and in my opinion they blow them away. Check out ecost.com if your interested in getting a pair of the pc150's.

-eddie

Originally posted by eddie33081
I have the same setup as you and I would definately advise getting an audigy 2.

I was very dissappointed in the sound coming out of my Klipsch 4.1's when using the onboard sound from my nforce2 board. I popped in my friends audigy 1 and the sound was almost identical. I know the nforce uses the AC97 for analog sound, but im not sure what the audigy 1 uses. I recently bought an Audigy 2 and the sound is noticeable better. The high's are much cleaner and games sound awesome.

So my advice to you would be to sell that audigy 1 on the boards and upgrade to an audigy 2. Also I bought a pair of Sennheiser pc150's to replace my Plantronic audio 90's and in my opinion they blow them away. Check out ecost.com if your interested in getting a pair of the pc150's.

-eddie

Are that speakers analogue or digital? But yes in term of sound quality for music Soundstorm is more comparable to Audigy than Audigy 2.

The nforce don´t use AC97 for analogue sound. It´s using software DAC codec. I am not sure it´s the right terminology. But it´s not AC97 it still uses the nforce APU but the Realtek DAC codecs most use isn´t top notch. Definiatly not on par with the Audigy DAC:s

go audigy 2 - as the audigy 1 in my opinion did not live up to the hype -the 2 is what the 1 was supposed to be - now if you want to save $$$ and havent bought the sound card yet, you should be ok with the soundstorm as the quality is good (or at least good enough) the question is the EAX support - the newer versions of EAX plus the support for it in the games soon arriving is something to think about. So, save yer dough now and buy an audigy 2 in a few months.

Have you guys recommending an Audigy 2 had the opportunity to compare it with the old Audigy running Audigy 2 drivers?

Originally posted by oqvist
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Why do I get the feeling you are a smartass lol.

What´s your next reply?

Not at all oqvist, I'm curious as to what you meant by that.

Originally posted by Duck-BOT
Not at all oqvist, I'm curious as to what you meant by that.

analogue or digital speakers?

Some speakers are purely analogue and some have the ability of both analogue and "digital" output.

I asked if his speaker (Klipsch) was analogue or digital? :)

I see, because what I was thinking was there are no digital speakers, only devices capable of converting digital signals (cause somewhere along the line, it has to be converted of course for a speaker to play, otherwise you'd hear background noise).

Mainly because Soundstorm analogue sound don´t cut it. And an Audigy don´t cost that much nowadays anyway

True, but SoundStorm digital is better than Audigy digital OR analog.

What you'd be better off doing is taking the green it would take to buy an Audigy and buying a decent Dolby Digital receiver instead.

Klipsch's is still on sale for $100 for another day or so. That'd allow you to run the digital out of your SoundStorm motherboard to this, and plug your speakers into it.

(I dunno if this receiver has a heaphone jack, but many do, and you could surely find one in your pricerange.)

Originally posted by Duck-BOT
I see, because what I was thinking was there are no digital speakers, only devices capable of converting digital signals (cause somewhere along the line, it has to be converted of course for a speaker to play, otherwise you'd hear background noise).

Yes but it´s easier to say just analogue or digital speakers than do you got analogue speaker or speakers with build in DAC that you are running a digital signal to from your soundcard ;)

Hench we and the soundcard/speaker producers just referrs to analogue or digital speakers :)

Anyway it feels quite unnecessary to get a receiver when I already got one just to get a headphone jack. And 100$ is quite a lot of money for that.

So I get a Audigy 2 and a gameport with it which is really nice since my nforce 2 mainboard hasn´t got any. And people say everything gets better and better??? :p

So now I got another toy to play with. I just hope that I aren´t going to encounter that bass bug when connecting it to my HT setup.

The nforce don´t use AC97 for analogue sound. It´s using software DAC codec. I am not sure it´s the right terminology. But it´s not AC97 it still uses the nforce APU but the Realtek DAC codecs most use isn´t top notch. Definiatly not on par with the Audigy DAC:s

Er, yer confused.

The AC 97 CODECs on NForce 2 boards that have "soundstorm" are still the same CODECs you find on normal boards, only instead of the CPU doing the digital processing, the DSP in the MCP-T "southbridge" does it.

Hence, the Realtek ALC650 that everybody and their ugly Aunt Ida uses on their NForce 2 motherboards is completely identical to the ALC650's found on boards with other chipsets.

And since the CODEC itself (as well as the implementation of the CODEC) is one of the primary limiting factors of sound quality, purchasing a board with a better CODEC than the ALC650 (like say, a VT1616, CMI9739 or ALC658) may produce an appreciable increase in quality.

Originally posted by oqvist
analogue or digital speakers?

Some speakers are purely analogue and some have the ability of both analogue and "digital" output.

I asked if his speaker (Klipsch) was analogue or digital? :)

1) So you say that the Klipsch PM are perfectly fine for onbaord, yet you know nothing about them?

2) Please point me at speakers that output in digital.

3) Some speakers have digital-in or pass the signal through

Hmm. I may be interested in that Promedia digital decoder. Do you guys think this one is worth the money? Will I notice a big sound difference between this and my audigy2 run in analog? Any other better decoders going for a similar price?

-thanks

Back