Klipsch 2.1 BT (Bluetooth) $49 Walmart

If you use, bluetooth, what acts as the sound card? Does a software soundcard get engaged somewhere?

The BT is unsecured, which means other people can access it and play through your speakers, at least in theory. I have no worries about this, given my neighbors, and I couldn't resist at this price. I currently have a Promedia 2.1 with a blown woofer (lasted a long, long time, though) and I've been procrastinating on getting a new woofer. But this is just a couple bucks more than what Klipsch would charge me for the woofer! Fabulous deal.

I'm using the direct aux input to my PC with no issues. Very strange. In fact, haven't used the blue tooth yet. I'm on the computer, don't really need it. These speakers have been great so far.

Well it's official. These speakers absolutely suck... Story below...
I purchased these when they came out for $150 many years ago and I still use them today in my living room. Those at a $150 are amazing.

I purchased a set on sale from Walmart for $99 two months ago and returned them thinking they were defective. Even though I used the 3.5 MM jack to my PC they were never recognized so I connected them to Bluetooth instead and they work fine with one exception. Connect these to Bluetooth and then pause that Bluetooth feed. Every 30 seconds or so it will give you several beeps to let you know that you have paused the Bluetooth, and it never stops. I KNOW that I paused the feed, I don't need a bleeping reminder every 30 seconds.

Thinking that I purchased a defective set I bought this same set at $49 and it is doing the same thing. There is a direct 3.5 MM connection to your PC but it will never be recognized. Connect to Bluetooth and the speakers work but pause that feed for 30 seconds and your Bluetooth will remind you that it is paused every 30 seconds.

These suck, I still may keep them for $49 buy yeah, they suck.
The fact that these speakers get good reviews and other people aren’t reporting those problems makes me think that this is a “you” issue, lol.

Yeah wtf do they mean by the speakers are not recognized? It’s an analog connection…
I'm saying these things have a 3.5mm connection. I remove my working headphones from my PC for that jack. I put the Klipsch wire in and nothing, no sound. The Klipsch speakers continue blinking blue looking for a bluetooth connection.

Well never mind. I did not know that the Main Volume button is a push able button on these speakers. I pushed the main volume for 3 seconds. It started blinking really quickly. Unplugged them from the wall and PC. Plugged them back in and now they work with the connection to the PC and no more blinking light.

Last edited:
Well never mind. I did not know that the Main Volume button is a push able button on these speakers. I pushed the main volume for 3 seconds. It started blinking really quickly. Unplugged them from the wall and PC. Plugged them back in and now they work with the connection to the PC and no more blinking light.
RTFM! :)

I was going to say, it almost sounded like you needed to switch input modes. I never owned this newer BT capable set, so there were only two modes on the sets that I owned...On and Off, lol. But with my Fluance powered speakers for example, I have to push the power button to switch between USB, optical, RCA, and Bluetooth sources. If I have them connected to my PC via a USB cable but the mode is set to Bluetooth, I won't get any sound from my computer (of course) because there's no auto switching like on some devices.

The BT is unsecured, which means other people can access it and play through your speakers, at least in theory. I have no worries about this, given my neighbors, and I couldn't resist at this price. I currently have a Promedia 2.1 with a blown woofer (lasted a long, long time, though) and I've been procrastinating on getting a new woofer. But this is just a couple bucks more than what Klipsch would charge me for the woofer! Fabulous deal.
Whaaaaat? I just whent on ebay and bought a new speaker to install into it. A couple of screws and two plugs

Just tried to set up my speakers set and the line out doesn't work. No sound at all. The Bluetooth connection sucks --- the sound is all garbled. Something's messed up in the control board, I think, and I'm gonna have to exchange. I'm not going to fart around with Klipsch support. Hopefully the new set will be better.

I had the non-BT set, but brought them into the office. Ordered a set of these, got them the next day, and so far they're very similar while hardwired. The neighbors haven't BT'd into them yet and I didn't bother to test out that functionality as my experience with BT in the past has been that it sacrifices too much audio quality due to the limited bandwidth, though maybe this has improved with newer generations of BT?

The neighbors haven't BT'd into them yet and I didn't bother to test out that functionality as my experience with BT in the past has been that it sacrifices too much audio quality due to the limited bandwidth, though maybe this has improved with newer generations of BT?
Yes, things have improved with newer versions of Bluetooth and better codecs like aptX HD, though I'm not sure which codec(s) the ProMedia 2.1's support. I found a page on Klipsch's site that lists which codecs their various models of BT headphones support, but nothing on the ProMedias so far.

Some people will always prefer hardwired, though. It's generally been a trade-off of convenience vs. sound quality, although things have improved over the years.

Yes, things have improved with newer versions of Bluetooth and better codecs like aptX HD, though I'm not sure which codec(s) the ProMedia 2.1's support. I found a page on Klipsch's site that lists which codecs their various models of BT headphones support, but nothing on the ProMedias so far.

Some people will always prefer hardwired, though. It's generally been a trade-off of convenience vs. sound quality, although things have improved over the years.
Are we looking for what Bluetooth version?
According to the specs it's 2.0 - wayy outdated.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Spectifications​

• Total System Power: 100 watts continuous/200 watts peak @ <0.2% THD; 260 watts short-term peak power
  • Satellites: 18 watts/channel continuous @ <0.2% THD, 1kHz; 26 watts/channel short-term power @ <5% THD, 1kHz
  • Subwoofer: 65 watts continuous @ <0.2% THD, 50 Hz; 80 watts short-term power @ <5% THD, 50Hz
  • Frequency Response: 35Hz ~ 22kHz
  • Satellite Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz
  • Enclosure Material Satellites: ABS
  • Subwoofer: MDF
  • Enclosure Type Satellites: Sealed
  • Subwoofer: Bass Reflex
  • High Frequency Horn: 90° x 40° MicroTractrix?
  • Inputs: 3.5mm miniplug
  • Bluetooth: 2.0
  • Typical Maximum Output: 110dB SPL (in-room)
  • Outputs: 3.5mm miniplug;Headphone
  • Dimensions Satellite: 8.5” (21.59cm) x 4.2” (10.67cm) x 5.67” (14.4cm)
  • Subwoofer: 9.5” 24.13cm) x 9.8” (24.9cm) x 10.2” (25.9cm)
  • Finish: Black
  • Subwoofer: One, side-firing 6.5” (16.51cm) long-throw fiber composite cone
  • Tweeter: 19mm PEI dome
  • Voltage 110/120 VAC
  • Weight Satellite: 2.1lbs (0.95kg)

Are we looking for what Bluetooth version?
According to the specs it's 2.0 - wayy outdated.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Spectifications​

• Total System Power: 100 watts continuous/200 watts peak @ <0.2% THD; 260 watts short-term peak power
  • Satellites: 18 watts/channel continuous @ <0.2% THD, 1kHz; 26 watts/channel short-term power @ <5% THD, 1kHz
  • Subwoofer: 65 watts continuous @ <0.2% THD, 50 Hz; 80 watts short-term power @ <5% THD, 50Hz
  • Frequency Response: 35Hz ~ 22kHz
  • Satellite Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz
  • Enclosure Material Satellites: ABS
  • Subwoofer: MDF
  • Enclosure Type Satellites: Sealed
  • Subwoofer: Bass Reflex
  • High Frequency Horn: 90° x 40° MicroTractrix?
  • Inputs: 3.5mm miniplug
  • Bluetooth: 2.0
  • Typical Maximum Output: 110dB SPL (in-room)
  • Outputs: 3.5mm miniplug;Headphone
  • Dimensions Satellite: 8.5” (21.59cm) x 4.2” (10.67cm) x 5.67” (14.4cm)
  • Subwoofer: 9.5” 24.13cm) x 9.8” (24.9cm) x 10.2” (25.9cm)
  • Finish: Black
  • Subwoofer: One, side-firing 6.5” (16.51cm) long-throw fiber composite cone
  • Tweeter: 19mm PEI dome
  • Voltage 110/120 VAC
  • Weight Satellite: 2.1lbs (0.95kg)
Oof, well there it is. I figured these weren’t going to be using Bluetooth 5.2, but 2.0 is pretty old so YMMV on sound quality. Just have to listen to it and determine if it’s acceptable or if you’re giving up too much in terms of SQ. I suspect it’s not an issue for casual listeners, parties, etc. For home/PC use or critical ears I’d probably recommend hardwired as the preferred method unless it’s not an option.

If you use, bluetooth, what acts as the sound card? Does a software soundcard get engaged somewhere?
To some extent most of the work nowadays is done in driver but with a BT device in particular the driver and BT “card” or usb dongle in your computer handle the channels, codec and source side of things, the speaker here handles the DAC and amplification.

Oof, well there it is. I figured these weren’t going to be using Bluetooth 5.2, but 2.0 is pretty old so YMMV on sound quality. Just have to listen to it and determine if it’s acceptable or if you’re giving up too much in terms of SQ. I suspect it’s not an issue for casual listeners, parties, etc. For home/PC use or critical ears I’d probably recommend hardwired as the preferred method unless it’s not an option.
I doubt anybody will notice any difference at all honestly. These are not exactly studio monitors to begin with.

Amazing deal. I've had these for the last few years and they are fantastic for the price.

Keep in mind, they are prone to breaking after a couple years, but at this price, you really can't complain.

Amazing deal. I've had these for the last few years and they are fantastic for the price.

Keep in mind, they are prone to breaking after a couple years, but at this price, you really can't complain.
Prone to breaking in a couple of years!?! My my where have we fallen. I still own the 4.1s from 2001 still working lol

I've had several 2.1s and a 5.1 break on me over the last 15 years.

You can Google it, it's a pretty common issue with these units.

The Klipsch 5.1s (all versions) were infamous for burning out a component on the amp over several years. My original 2.1 from around 2001 still works. I think my old 4.1 set still works, too - I gave it to my brother.

I've had several 2.1s and a 5.1 break on me over the last 15 years.

You can Google it, it's a pretty common issue with these units.
They must be the newer models and not the ones from 2001. Everything now is prob made cheapo.. I still have my 4.1 from 2001 only needed repairs once lol

They must be the newer models and not the ones from 2001. Everything now is prob made cheapo.. I still have my 4.1 from 2001 only needed repairs once lol
Only thing I replaced on my 2005 2.1 was the control pod. Otherwise the set was a solid one. I eventually replaced it with the iFi - now THAT was a computer speaker setup. Holy crap. That thing used an 8-inch woofer and recolored satellites from their home speaker lineup. It could hit hard.

these have to be the most overhyped piece of audio equipment on the market. This or the beats by dre crap from a few years back...

these have to be the most overhyped piece of audio equipment on the market. This or the beats by dre crap from a few years back...
dre beats basically owns the 'overhyped piece of audio equipment' title. :D Nothing, I mean nothing, comes close to dre beats in that regard. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Honestly, if you can get the Klipsch desktop 2.1 system for 50 bucks. It's worth it. They don't last forever, but your buy in is minimal.

You can go the Edifer route and get a pair of powered bookshelf speakers for 150 bucks... So that's already 3 times the cost minus the Sub.

Or you can go my route: Buy a 5.1 Receiver, add a sub woofter, pair it with bookshelf Klipsch, add a center channel and then add polk surrounds. I may cry when my Yamaha YMC-500 Receiver bites the dust, but it's been running strong for 13 years (used 150 bucks). Going this route is typically 500+ Dollars (depending how stupid you get, like me replacing my (entire Polk 5.1 setup except the surrounds) sub with a Competition Grade Car Sub + adding Klipsch Bookshelf L/R and a BIC Center). It can be done for about 350 bucks if you are lucky and catch sales at the right times (50 for good cables).

The Klipsch only last so long... Boo Hoo! Sounds pretty damn good at 50 bucks after breaking that down, no?

Last edited:
Honestly, if you can get the Klipsch desktop 2.1 system for 50 bucks. It's worth it. They don't last forever, but your buy in is minimal.

You can go the Edifer route and get a pair of powered bookshelf speakers for 150 bucks... So that's already 3 times the cost minus the Sub.

Or you can go my route: Buy a 5.1 Receiver, add a sub woofter, pair it with bookshelf Klipsch, add a center channel and then add polk surrounds. I may cry when my Yamaha YMC-500 Receiver bites the dust, but it's been running strong for 13 years (used 150 bucks). Going this route is typically 500+ Dollars (depending how stupid you get, like me replacing my (entire Polk 5.1 setup except the surrounds) sub with a Competition Grade Car Sub + adding Klipsch Bookshelf L/R and a BIC Center). It can be done for about 350 bucks if you are lucky and catch sales at the right times (50 for good cables).

The Klipsch only last so long... Boo Hoo! Sounds pretty damn good at 50 bucks after breaking that down, no?
I know the older klipsch sets had issues with amps going out, but they were fixable and I'd assume that it is fixed by now.
For reference, I had the 5.1s and I recently gave away the original Promedia v2-400 ( still working )

Last edited:
I know the older klipsch sets had issues with amps going out, but they were fixable and I'd assume that it is fixed by now.
For reference, I had the 5.1s and I recently gave away the original Promedia v2-400 ( still working )
I had the original THX 5.1 model, it was pricey and I recall them lasting a damn long time. I ended up giving them to my uncle. They died after 7-8 years of use. I suspect that a little tinkering, and a cheap amp will let you bypass any built in Klipsch circuitry and modify these to your liking.

If anything, the electronics in these has gotten cheaper / Lower quality. The Horns and drivers are decent. For 50 bucks, its a nice little setup that may last for years and years.

I had the original THX 5.1 model, it was pricey and I recall them lasting a damn long time. I ended up giving them to my uncle. They died after 7-8 years of use. I suspect that a little tinkering, and a cheap amp will let you bypass any built in Klipsch circuitry and modify these to your liking.

If anything, the electronics in these has gotten cheaper / Lower quality. The Horns and drivers are decent. For 50 bucks, its a nice little setup that may last for years and years.
We have a thread in the audio section here about repairing those :)

I've had an old Logitech 5.1 set since like 2001... been it use pretty much the whole time lol.

I hooked up my Klipsch I picked up at Walmart and they are pretty great for the money.

Back