cageymaru

Fully [H]
A Kiwibot food delivery robot has self-destructed on the UC Berkeley campus as onlookers expressed grief for the meal that could have been (Warning language in the video). Sasha Latsenia, head of product at Kiwi explained that the robot was accidentally outfitted with a defective battery during maintenance. This caused the idling robot to begin smoldering, which "eventually leading to some smoke and minor flames."

Kiwi pulled its entire fleet of robots until it discovered the root cause of the issue and went the further step of upgrading the battery monitoring software to make sure the issue doesn't arise again. UC Berkeley students considered the fallen robot to be a "hero and a legend" to the community, as its sudden thermal runaway and subsequent self-immolation, symbolized the stress that students were under during finals week. Thanks The Mad Atheist !

While the KiwiBot may have been scorched, Iatsenia assured The Daily Californian that it was not delivering a meal when it caught fire -- no one saw their order lost.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
There is no such thing as "minor flames".

You would think people in CA would understand that simple concept since half their state was on fire this year.

Clearly this robot went mental and they had to hit the "fail safe".

Must be California. Firefighting outfit of hoodie, shorts, sneakers, no socks.

Wonder how long before one of these or one of the hundreds(thousands?) of scooters causes a $billion+ fire due to a flame throwing battery? Especially the scooters since they are getting left in lots of weird places.

Maybe it wants to be recognized as a match instead of a robot... I almost said he but change it to "it"

I laughed but also it showed the lack of intelligence from the person shooting the video because shouting at someone almost a block away on a busy campus helps...
Yeah the smart thing to do would have been to run right up next to the lithium battery fire. o_O

phone operator ( see i dident say camera woman ) sound like a escalating weed problem.
And i dident say camera woman, cuz camera to me also mean you actually know how to operate it.

Has anyone YouTube commented yet, "HEY FUCKNUGGET HOLD THE PHONE HORIZONTALLY" yet? If not, I guess I will have to.

Wonder how many college students needed a panic/quiet room to deal with the horrors they witnessed. You know someone got emotional about this incident and is preparing some kind of complaint.

I laughed but also it showed the lack of intelligence from the person shooting the video because shouting at someone almost a block away on a busy campus helps...

lack of intelligence, sure. but more so.. the pure sense of entitlement.

If that is minor flames I wonder what would they describe as major flames?

Back