Kingston Value: 256meg PC2700 DDR $20 after $20 MIR

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by SJetski71, Oct 31, 2004.

1. SJetski71

SJetski71 [H]ardForum Junkie

The one kicker is shipping, its free with a >$50 order but otherwise you're paying. If you're only purchasing one stick then i recommend you pick it up in-store. In-store pick-up may be the better option as you get to inspect the ram chips onboard. Kingston Value seems to have carried every good memory chip known to man :) You just need to visually inspect them to know 4sure.

Deal linky http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?prodBlockOID=537039720

Search for the Kingston rebate here since OM is anal about hotlinking it directly. Deal expires Nov 6th.

2. wipeout833

wipeout833 [H]ard|Gawd

Nice deal, going to pick some up tommorrow.

3. aznjosh

aznjosh n00b

ohhh nice, coulda used this a month ago =/

4. SEALTeamSix

SEALTeamSix 2[H]4U

Do you think this will hit PC3200 speeds? If so, it looks pretty tasty to me... actually, it's pretty hot just like it is...

-SEAL

5. Mok

Mok Limp Gawd

Certainly seems like the cheapest for RAM in a while, even though it is only 256. I've got some machines that could use a couple sticks, I'm in. Heading to my local officemax today.

Darn these Hard-Forums and Hot-Deals, burning a hole in my wallet I tell ya!

6. SJetski71

Not only will many of them hit pc3200 speeds, but plenty of people in the fairly-recent past have found Winbond bh-5, bh-6, good samsung, 5ns hynix etc etc onboard. Try to hit 2 different stores and inspect all the packages. If you're unsure then ask OM to hold a couple of interesting ones for you, then come to our memory forum and post any questions you might have ;)

If you end up asking them to hold it temporarily, make sure you write down the etchings and symbols on the chips. I think kingston has a data sheet that shows what the etchings stand for, and also tell you what chips are onboard (i saw this data sheet a couple of weeks ago). I'll try to find it now (@ [H] or OC forums).

Edit: come to think of it, i need to do some shopping today, maybe i'll stop down. If i see some killer sticks i'll have to pick some up...

7. SEALTeamSix

SEALTeamSix 2[H]4U

I'd love to see how to tell which type I'm getting - this is really hot if it's BH5. I've heard all about the differences, but never bothered looking up how to tell.

edit: Google is great... How to Identify , and a lists of sites with type identified.

-SEAL

8. SJetski71

The bh5 would probably be the rarest but don't fogrget that bh6 and some samsungs are almost as good...and for $20 to boot ;)

looking for that data sheet now

9. SJetski71

I've hit the kingston value motherload: http://www.valueram.com/

its all there, i'll edit this post if i find good specifics

Edit: Hmm, that may not be the info i saw. I may be mistaken but i think the data sheet was located within kingston.com and not valueram.com. Still investigating since i'd also like some cheap high powered memory

10. SEALTeamSix

SEALTeamSix 2[H]4U

Truth?

-SEAL

11. SJetski71

that is similar to what i saw at kingston..meaning the bh5 was labeled "A" etc etc. But the data sheet i saw had more ram types than winbond. And i think it was kingston value-specific

12. SEALTeamSix

SEALTeamSix 2[H]4U

13. SJetski71

i can't find that darn link that lists all the chips value-ram uses, all i know is that i saw that link here @ [H] and it linked to either kingston or valueram.com. hmmm

14. SEALTeamSix

SEALTeamSix 2[H]4U

Well, you can't see the chip markings through the box, and they won't let you open the box (or do it for you). Shitty shitty shitty OfficeMax. Oh well - we could just buy it and return it if they aren't what we want.

-SEAL

15. SJetski71

son of a gun when did they change the packaging, are they all like that or just the kvr pc2700?

16. SEALTeamSix

SEALTeamSix 2[H]4U

It was some Kingston that I was looking at... it was the only 256mb stick they had. They had it in a locked plastic box, and the memory modules were covered with a sticker.

-SEAL