Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB - 99 $

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB - 99 $

240GB SSD FOR 99$ you can't go wrong!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108

Sure you can:

j8o85f.jpg

^ what he said. Stay away from the V300 series, the table signifies Kingston quietly switching to cheaper NAND after good reviews were published for the original superior version.

Last edited:
Fuck Kingston...let em rot, ill never buy anything from them again because of tactics like this. Sure if they needed to change NAND suppliers go ahead, but change the model number if the performance is going to impacted in anyway.

Do you think they would have just kept calling the V300 if they increased performance? no way in hell, they would released it as a new model...dont reward these tactics

Looking for a cheap 480-500gb like this to use as a steam/game data drive, though it being slow and all I wouldn't think it would matter. (probably should just get a cheap 7200rpm 2.5" hdd?)

A V300 asynchronous at $99 for 240GB is about twice as much as I may consider paying for one of those turds. If you has to stay with the Kingston brand, $40 more would get you the 240GB HyperX 3K, which is still a low-power consuming and fast performing SSD, even compared to many of the newest generation SSDs.

However, for typical John or Jane Doe computing uses (such as boot/shutdown speed, web browsing, time to open/save an MS Office or PDF doc, or even light gaming), the V300 is still much faster than a spindle drive.

Even the PNY XLR8 would be a better choice, IMO. It uses Intel 25nm 3K chips and is a 20 dollar bill more than this right now.

Last edited:
I've read on quite a few forums about the switch to slower drives with the same model number. One buyer mentioned it in a newegg review and kingston replied back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721108

The state the drives operate the same. Has any reliable source shown the difference in a head to head test?

The graphic posted above comes from anandtech:

http://anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

With better drives as low as $10 more (I've seen M500 at under $110), the V300 -240 needs to be about $69 for me to recommend it, and that with a caveat....

I feel like Kingston is going to go the way of OCZ with these nand switches... bankruptcy must be a few years out.

So to compare this to a 840 evo at 750gb the price per GB here is 2.42gb / $1

Goto amazon and check out the other sellers and amazon had one with a 1/4 inch scratch on front for 323.16 or 2.32gb/$1

I would think they have similar deals on the 240s, confirmed they did. Plus let's face it the evo series will easily out perform that v300! If your using it with out massive read writes it should last very well

I used this drive once. The computer would hang for 5 mins every 5 mins.

I have a v300 and its slower than advertised. I always thought it was something with the motherboard. How can I tell what firmware it is using??

Thanks OP. Price went up to $140 but I went ahead and ordered 4 of these for my new build. Can't wait, will be great to have some SSDs in my new rig instead of lame mechanicals. These look great!

Thanks OP. Price went up to $140 but I went ahead and ordered 4 of these for my new build. Can't wait, will be great to have some SSDs in my new rig instead of lame mechanicals. These look great!

Do they look great? great for what exactly? Lol I sincerely hope youre just trolling and read a little more in depth on these before buying 4 of them at $140 a pop, some peoples kids. The originals with Toggle NAND held their own, these new ones are junk, and kingston is happy to swindle you all day long, dont support this behaviour

Last edited:
Back