Kingston SNV425-S2 Gen 2 64gb poor write speeds...help

y0bailey

Gawd
I just purchased a SNV425-S2 Gen 2 Kingston 64gb SDD HD, and I am getting not so great write results (around 50mb/s). The reads hit 250mb/s easily...but the writes are slower than heck. I am getting frustrated.

I am running Windows 7 64bit, Intel C2D @3.2ghz, gigabyte 965p-ds2, 3ghz ram. I didn't install any funky drivers, just using the windows default.

Any suggestions? The reviews on this drive are better in terms of write speeds, and I cannot figure it out!

What program did you use to test with? Can you download AS SSD and check whether alignment is ok; 1024K- OK and not 31.5K - BAD it should say in the upper left corner.

Does this SSD support TRIM? Is it Indilinx controlled?

I used about every program under the sun. It does say OK in AS SSD. It is a TRIM enabled device. No idea on the control..

Could you post the AS SSD screenshot perhaps? Try increasing the test file size from 100MB to at least 1000MB. That should tell us more about the performance of your SSD.

You can use imageshack.us or something similar to upload the screenshot. Use Alt+Print Screen to make the screenshot, then only the active window (AS SSD) will be included in the screenshot - nothing else.

I think the slow write performance on that Kingston SSD is partially caused by the drive's choice of its interface controller. That drive, as well as many of the Kingston-branded SSDs, use JMicron controllers in their drives. The JMicron controller is significantly slower than an Intel or a Marvell controller, especially in writes.

I'm getting the same problems as OP. 250MB/s read and 50MB/s write. Did anyone find a fix for this?

UPDATE: I stopped caring about benchmark results and started enjoying how fast this thing is. I updated my AS SSD today just for the hell of it and fired it up....113mb/s write speed (repeatable many times). No idea how or why, but I am happy!

Back