Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Headset Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Headset Review

HyperX has a very big following with its Cloud series headsets. We are looking at its Cloud Alpha wired headset today. No 7.1 surround, no wireless, no software, no nonsense. Its claim to fame are "Dual Chambered Drivers," and is the exact reason we purchased these for review. Are these worth the $100 price tag?

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Last edited:
I am enjoying the Headset series (something to read while we wait for new video cards to come out). My current headset is a HyperX Cloud headphone (not the cloud alpha) and I have been happy with it. It has good sound, microfiber ear-cushions (cool as I live in Texas too) and they fit my "melon-head" pretty well. However, after reading your reviews on the wireless headsets, I am tempted to try wireless again. My last wireless venture was with a Corsair headset which I liked except it didn't last very long.

Nice review.

I completely agree with the sound stage complaints, they do sound excellent tonally but the stage is kinda shallow. I think that's just a characteristic of closed ear cans as opposed to open ear designs.

I didn't have the same problem with comfort tho. I've got a fat head but it's shaped more like a football than a melon (yes I'm as funny looking as it sounds) and they're very comfortable to me. I'm loving the shit out of mine and for the first time ever I wear them all the time and not just occasionally like I did with my last couple pairs (Sennheiser HD558 and Razer Carcharadon).

I don't currently have a gaming headset as I also have a melon head and never found any that felt very good (besides maybe those old zalman 5.1 headphones) - so I appreciate the 'comfort' section on these. if you ever find any you like I may just have to grab them!

ALSO I enjoyed the "liked" "disliked" section of the conclusion, nice addition !

Great review. I own Hyper X Cloud paired with the Sound Blaster X Fi Titanium HD. They make a world of a difference compared with the onboard sound.

Sounds like you have a head custom made for IEMs and an articulating boom mic. JS.

Or hangout in GenMay less...

If you liked these but need wireless, check out the Cloud Flights. I just purchased them, and I've been fairly impressed. I tried to go back to a nice, wired set of cans with a separate mic, but I couldn't stand the cord.

Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1 - ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC. No config. can match the mentioned above Sound Blaster. I tried every possible option. Previous board same thing. I cant stand the crappy sound of onboard audio.

Thanks, Wireless seems nice ill give em a shot. Problem is I have trouble remembering to charge my phone. :D These Hyper X's really come alive with a dedicated sound card. They dominate the $100 range of headsets.

I picked up two sets of these on ebay for under 100.00 one from the HyperX outlet for 59.00 another for 40.00 couldn't pass that up.
I'll compare it to my older white HyperX cores I had for 2-3 years. I wanted to get a pro headset but having a exteral mic or mic mod or Yeti would just bother me.

Now I have aa set of these I ordered two of them but one set didn't go though I picked up a refurb set off ebay for 59.00 though the HyperX refurb store.
These have better Noise isolation than a set of regular Hyper Xs cores other than that they pretty much sound the same not going to spend 6 hour comparing music.

Depends on the song playing some old EQ2 tracks and the mids and Bass sound more present so you get more of a specturm than the older HyperX cores I had.

Back