Kingston Digital Releases Enterprise-Class SSD

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Kingston Digital announced the release of its first enterprise-class server SSD. The new class of solid state drives addresses the performance and process requirements required for server reliability and speed while reducing energy requirements. The new drives are available in 100, 200 and 400GB capacities.

I was considering an SSD a few weeks ago. Do standard SSDs have some major problems to look out for?

Just asking because this makes it sound like they might have stability issues.

I was considering an SSD a few weeks ago. Do standard SSDs have some major problems to look out for?

Just asking because this makes it sound like they might have stability issues.

I have had a Corsair Force 3 SSD 120, for months, on SATA II, with Windows 7 x64, without any problems. This SSD is basically the same unit as a few others out there such as the OCZ Agility 3 120GB. You don't need to go expensive to gain a benefit.

Some issues to consider are: Don’t get less than 120GB capacity. If you can, disable or avoid causing the OS from frequent writing to the pagefile, otherwise the unit may only last a few years. Get CrystalDiskInfo software to check the unit (and other drives) that you have.

As for stability: I see my disk drives as being less stable. I suspect other users will back me up on that.

I'm running a 240GB sandisk extreme, a 64GB SSS +1 TB secondary in the optical bay.

and a 120GB Force series from Corsair for offline core disaster recovery. For a drive that's going to get tossed around, put in and out of a safe or otherwise moved on a semi regular basis, SSD makes perfect sense. I don't trust my data on a mechanical drive near as much.

SSD is so damn sexy and cool :) mmm

I have had a Corsair Force 3 SSD 120, for months, on SATA II, with Windows 7 x64, without any problems. This SSD is basically the same unit as a few others out there such as the OCZ Agility 3 120GB. You don't need to go expensive to gain a benefit.

Some issues to consider are: Don’t get less than 120GB capacity. If you can, disable or avoid causing the OS from frequent writing to the pagefile, otherwise the unit may only last a few years. Get CrystalDiskInfo software to check the unit (and other drives) that you have.

As for stability: I see my disk drives as being less stable. I suspect other users will back me up on that.

Hmmm... I would be looking to replace my system drive and keep my 500 GB HD, so if the pagefile would reduce the drive's life by years, I don't know if it would fit my needs. I think I'll hold off for a little longer.

The golden rule is ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP! Doesn't matter if its SSD, HD, or whatever you run, always back your shit up!!! There are risk's running SSD, but ALL of those risk's can be mitigated by a simple backup drive. Just get a cheap HDD, but it in an external enclosure or something, and keep your PC backed up. If you have enough money, get a disaster recovery drive. Basically a hard drive with a mirror image of a working OS, so you can plug it in and boot up if the shit hits the fan. I think a good system will have an SSD as the main boot/fast drive, with a hard drive thats much bigger as the program and backup drive, plus an external HDD as a backup and disaster recovery. Doing this is not all that much more expensive, considering what a full data loss will do.

Hmmm... I would be looking to replace my system drive and keep my 500 GB HD, so if the pagefile would reduce the drive's life by years, I don't know if it would fit my needs. I think I'll hold off for a little longer.

I recommedn you do like I did: disable the pagefile for the SSD (my 128GB SSD C:\), and only enable it for the spindle drive (my 1TB 7200rpm D:\). Then enable TRIM support. Voila! Concerns have been eradicated.

I don’t have a problem with pagefile writing on my SSD myself. Under current use, according to the numbers, the unit will last more than 20 years. I only noticed that after I had played Skyrim, with the HD texture extensions, a significant amount of extra writing to the SSD had occurred. This is because I only had 4GB of RAM and a 1GB ATI 5870. This meant that I did not have enough system RAM, so I simply disabled the Skyrim HD texture extensions.

Just something to be aware of. Avoid using the SSD as virtual RAM on a high activity application.

I don’t have a problem with pagefile writing on my SSD myself. Under current use, according to the numbers, the unit will last more than 20 years. I only noticed that after I had played Skyrim, with the HD texture extensions, a significant amount of extra writing to the SSD had occurred. This is because I only had 4GB of RAM and a 1GB ATI 5870. This meant that I did not have enough system RAM, so I simply disabled the Skyrim HD texture extensions.

Just something to be aware of. Avoid using the SSD as virtual RAM on a high activity application.

You mean Bethesda's HD Texture pack? You actually saw Skyrim taking all the 4gb of ram? I haven't looked since i turned on the HD texture pack, but i never remember seeing it use more than 2gb.

You mean Bethesda's HD Texture pack? You actually saw Skyrim taking all the 4gb of ram? I haven't looked since i turned on the HD texture pack, but i never remember seeing it use more than 2gb.

HighResTexturePack01.bsa - 1.87 GB (2,015,758,746 bytes)
HighResTexturePack02.bsa - 1.17 GB (1,263,215,039 bytes)

Plus I run "TESV.exe" in "Large Address Aware" > 2GB.

It may not be the application. It may be the Video Driver texture handling.

Since when did enterprise storage products have a desktop (SATA) interface?
There are actual enterprise SSDs, they have a 6Gbps SAS interface. (and are quite expensive!)

Since when did enterprise storage products have a desktop (SATA) interface?
There are actual enterprise SSDs, they have a 6Gbps SAS interface. (and are quite expensive!)

EMC NAS and SAN devices have had SATA for years and will contiue to do so. Servers usually have SAS as the latest standard. Pretty soon SSD will be ready for real deployment. I would love to have SSD SAN for all of opur databases to run in. Would save me a lot of BS headache.

Back