Kingdoms of Amalur

Can i get some info on the camera? I remember people saying they wish they could see more of the world---does this mean there is a locked camera? (the way the game looks, i really want the camera to be like WoW's)

The camera isn't locked, but it's not likle WoW's either.

Basically it tries to "frame" all enemies when you're fighting and things, so it will zoom out/in and try to keep all enemies on the screen.

It's not terrible, and I have gotten around it, I'd prefer a WoW style camera as well but I think some people are blowing it a bit out of the water saying how bad it is.

After suffering through NWN2's camera, I would be hard pressed to complain about KoA's camera too much. Certainly the issues in this game pale in comparison to NWN2.

My main complaint is that for me, as a 360 controller user, I wish the game did a better job of automatically centering the camera behind you when you're running around. What happens most of the time is that you'll turn one way, then start running straight ahead, but the camera stays cocked to one side at an awkward angle instead of quickly centering. So a lot of manually re-positioning of the camera using the right analog stick involved.

My main complaint is that for me, as a 360 controller user, I wish the game did a better job of automatically centering the camera behind you when you're running around. What happens most of the time is that you'll turn one way, then start running straight ahead, but camera stays cocked to one side at an awkward angle instead of quickly centering. So a lot of manually re-positioning of the camera using the right analog stick involved.

I completely agree with this. It's not horrible but it is the one thing that is not so great.

If there is a fix someone know's about please post it. Otherwise I think in time I'll get used to it and just adjust camera angle without any trouble.

It did seem to cause me some grief in the multi mob fights but I was button mashing like a mad man so no worries there! haha :p

They are working on camera tweaks and such. I've seen them mention it several times and I'm confident in these guys to deliver.

The more I play, the more I like. LOTS to like in this game. :)

They are working on camera tweaks and such. I've seen them mention it several times and I'm confident in these guys to deliver.

The more I play, the more I like. LOTS to like in this game. :)

You have faith in Curt Schilling.

It was funny, I saw him on Sportscenter earlier today pimping the game. Such an odd turn for a professional baseball player to become a public figurehead of nerdy fantasy games.

You'd be surprised. Isn't Vin Diesel an avid pen-and-paper D&D player? And there was that anti-SOPA congressman who plays League of Legends in his spare time.

Haven't been able to get my Logitech Rumblepad 2 to work with this game. Means I have to use my Windows 360 game pad, which is one of my least favorite game pads out there. Maybe Logitech or someone will work this out.

I have the rumblepad 2 working for the game with x360ce 360 controller emulator. Download this http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list and extract it in the KoA game folder. Run the program and it should recognize your game pad. After it see the game pad in the options tab of the program check off xinput1_2.dll, xinput1_1.dll and xinput9_1_0.dll and then save the controller. After that start the game and it should see the controller. If you have any problems check out this page for possible solutions http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/updates/list

I completely agree with this. It's not horrible but it is the one thing that is not so great.

If there is a fix someone know's about please post it. Otherwise I think in time I'll get used to it and just adjust camera angle without any trouble.

It did seem to cause me some grief in the multi mob fights but I was button mashing like a mad man so no worries there! haha :p

click the right stick

You have faith in Curt Schilling.

It was funny, I saw him on Sportscenter earlier today pimping the game. Such an odd turn for a professional baseball player to become a public figurehead of nerdy fantasy games.

So far he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Ken Ralston and the rest of that creative crew I definitely have faith in.

Holy shit this game is awesome.

I had first just completed the demo and logged off for a day or two. I then gave it another shot, got to the first town, and actually had a blast, so I bought it. Currently a level 14ish mage. Then loot in this game really reminds me of Diablo 2 and Torchlight: there's so much of it! The whole Salvage and Crafting system with Blacksmithing is really neat too. I decided to max Blacksmithing first and then level up the Seek Hidden beside it, just to get to see the invisible doors. Since Seek Hidden is now maxed, not sure exactly what I'm going to level up next. The fast-paced combat is great too.

My only gripe is the camera though, which has been mentioned many times in the thread. If I could increase the FOV or zoom out just a bit more, it would be spectacular. Definitely don't skip the game just because of the camera though, you get used to it, and the game itself makes up it.

I've finally put some time into the game and I'm enjoying it. It's like Fable, Skyrim, and the Witcher 2 all rolled into one.

Minor gripes (keep in mind that these are really my only issues):

I wish there were some graphical option to boost the view distances. I have the game maxed out and there's still too much pop-in for a PC game. I'd even settle for an ini tweak or something. I think anyone on [H] will definitely have enough horsepower to do more.
The camera isn't perfect, but it could be worse. Not a deal breaker, but more annoying than then demo since you're in larger spaces.
While it's really only for us TV folks, I always wish more games had options for larger fonts. I don't want to squint to read things.

Strange...it won't let me store the Selkie Veil item in the storage chest in my house. I wonder if there's going to be a second quest associated with it, and that's why.

I've played a few hours of this game and so far I really like it!

Combat - I like how the combat doesn't lock you down... During the course of a fight you can use your primary, secondary, magic, and other abilities without having to pause which makes for great flow. I haven't gotten very far, but just looking at the moves menu, I can only assume it will get even better.

Story - Haven't played enough to even form an opinion, but so far so good. I think it's a good sign that I am curious to find out more where some games I either had an idea where they were going or could care less.

Dialogue - This, IMO, is the weakest part of the game. Not the actual script, but the system itself. After playing Bioware RPGs (DA 1&2 and SWTOR), KoA seems dated. Basically you initiate a conversation with someone they tell you what they have to say and then at the end you get a list of dialogue option, but most of the time it doesn't branch off to anything else or at least not yet in my limited experience.

There has also been some character choices i've come upon, but I haven't really noticed anything affected by my particular choice.

Overall, I think it's really fun... So far.

Quite enjoying this game. However, I think Skyrim still has me by the balls... :bleh:

Is there an option to skip the first dungeon/tutorial part in the full game?

Please say yes.

Man this game is exactly what I've needed ever since I quit WoW in 2006. Its been 6 years and I finally found my game, and its not an MMO and its doesn't require a pay to play service. A great SP campaign, hundreds of hours and amazing combat!

Its like WoW+Fable with very core RPG elements sprinkled throughout the entire experience. Skill trees, loot, progression and what seems like dice rolls for hit detection. Curt Schilling is the man for putting this project together.

Anyone who is on the fence, perhaps worried about simply paying $60 when you're spoiled by waiting a year and getting great Steam sales. My advice to you is to buy this game, in the least try the demo. Supporting games like this, and developers like this is a great cause and the bottom line is this game is just terrific. Every game has its flaws but what a breath of fresh air! I don't want to compare this to the likes of Skyrim, but I will say that I got goddamn tired of Skyrim after about 25 hours... if felt like Fallout 3 with a new skin and I'm rather sour to the Gamebryo engine (ya ya, Skyrim uses Creation engine but its basically Gamebryo 2.0). I've been playing MP games for weeks on end now, no RPG to fill the void.

Along comes Reckoning to the rescue.

The tutorial dungeon doesn't really give a great overview of the combat. Most of it boiled down to button mashing with your longsword.

Once you get out of the beginner dungeon and start to get enough levels to unlock moves -- only then does the combat start to shine and you start to get a feel for the different capabilities of the weapon types, and you start to be able to do cool combos like roll -> charge -> block+ducking attack -> three-hit combo -> air juggle. Various other cool moves too, like Quake and the Scorpion-esque harpoon move, that you don't get access to until after the tutorial section.

Quite enjoying this game. However, I think Skyrim still has me by the balls... :bleh:

This is pretty much an ideal complement to Skyrim IMO because it's just so completely different.

Strange...it won't let me store the Selkie Veil item in the storage chest in my house. I wonder if there's going to be a second quest associated with it, and that's why.

Wouldn't surprise me.

The RPS review wasn't as positive as I had hoped. I think I'll either skip it entirely or possibly pick it up in a few months - I have far too little time and far too many games to complete to justify picking up a "meh".

If you haven't try the demo. Amalur has mixed thoughts all over the web and I honestly think this is a game you can't just read some reviews and make a decision on.

If you haven't try the demo. Amalur has mixed thoughts all over the web and I honestly think this is a game you can't just read some reviews and make a decision on.

I should definitely try the demo - I was just apprehensive because I had heard there were a number of technical issues with it that aren't present in the full game. Part of me just feels like given how little time I have, it's difficult to justify picking up a game I have to convince myself to buy - BF3 has just been so easy to waste a spare half hour here and there!

I'll give the demo a shot.

Make sure the tutorial doesn't put you off of the game. Myself and a friend finished the tutorial and were like ... "meh". I decided to push through it when I was really bored and like I posted above, found out this game is fucking amazing. I'm kinda surprised the reviews are hit or miss, but this isn't just another "meh" game. If you'd like a game like Skyrim plus Diablo 2 loot, this is your game. Definitely try out the demo, and again, don't be put off by the tutorial like I almost was.

I was playing last night and actually had to stop myself from playing because I had to go to work early the next day.

The game is fun and your character feels badass from the start. Graphics are very pleasing to the eyes and it just plays well.

Same, I was up until 2am playing last night lol. I haven't done that in probably 5 years or so? :D

Also, I'm using the FXAA Injector program to further enhance this games beauty and hot dog, its amazing.

Same, I was up until 2am playing last night lol. I haven't done that in probably 5 years or so? :D

Also, I'm using the FXAA Injector program to further enhance this games beauty and hot dog, its amazing.

link for the injector program please.

Thanks

Does anyone know where exactly the actual save games are??

I cant seem to find them separately, just a single profile in My Games that's very small and some other random files, not saves.

I backed up the game, but keep my saves separate... anyone know which are actually the save files?

Oh, and yeah... the game is %&@!ing great! Both my wife and I have been playing the hell out of it, and just about every aspect of it is just excellent!

I'm loving that the game is actually colorful. It seems like so many games these days are just various shades of brown and gray!

Does anyone know where exactly the actual save games are??

I cant seem to find them separately, just a single profile in My Games that's very small and some other random files, not saves.

I backed up the game, but keep my saves separate... anyone know which are actually the save files?

Oh, and yeah... the game is %&@!ing great! Both my wife and I have been playing the hell out of it, and just about every aspect of it is just excellent!

Game saves are in My Games/Reckoning. They've .sav files.

I'm loving that the game is actually colorful. It seems like so many games these days are just various shades of brown and gray!

I have to admit, that's one of the main things that's got me interested in this game.

How is it that all these ENB and FXAA injector mods work for multiple games without being configured? Maybe a dumb question? :confused:

I was surprised to see that skyrim's ENB thing worked with evochron mercenary lol

Last edited:
Because it's basically just a tweaked FXAA injector, which works regardless of application.

How is it that all these ENB and FXAA injector mods work for multiple games without being configured? Maybe a dumb question? :confused:

I was surprised to see that skyrim's ENB thing worked with evochron mercenary lol

Just like FRAPS works everywhere, they hook the rendering API and do their own drawing.

Back