KiNeCt!!! Who picked one up!?

current feelings on the kinect.

• Yes, I have it, and I LOVE IT!

Votes: 64 26.1%
  • I'm not white - It doesn't work!

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • I'm not getting it. I don't want to look like a god damn monkey puzzle jumping around.

Votes: 110 44.9%
  • I'm on the fence... I'm going to wait and see how it does/what games come out.

Votes: 58 23.7%

• Total voters
Yeah, I can't even imagine being able to do something that clever, let alone in a few days!

From what I have been reading it seems like a lot of you are liking the kinect.
I started reading this thread to see what you (H)ard people think about the Kinect and it sounds good to me.
I have not read the whole thread, so this might have been talked about already, but I'll say it anyway in case it has not.

It seems a few good gifts you could give to the person getting a Kinect this X-mas would be, a drill, a drill-bit and some rollie-pollie wheeles for their couches. This way they could be moved back for play and rolled forward when done.
Seems like those would be good stocking stuffers for those of you that are giving the Kinect as gifts...Ho Ho Ho..LOL

Just picked it up with Kinectimals, Dance Central, Your Shape and the bundled Kinect Adventures. Only played Kinectimals and Adventures so far but it's been a blast. Kids love Kinectimals....it does what Eyepet tried and failed miserably to do.

Dance Central later this afternoon when the in laws have fooked off.

We sold our wii and all it's accessories so now we're in a position to get kinect and some games. Mostly for the kids.

So I have an older xbox and will need some sort of an extension cable. I know in my case I have to use a seperate power source which is fine. Where the unit will be placed has a plug in. However getting the unit plugged into the xbox is a different story. How long is the cable that comes with the kinect? I need about 15'. The standard cable is about 6' or so? I assume if it's not long enough I could grab just any USB extension cable or does it need to be some sort of special USB cable? I've heard of some sort of repeating cable.

How about placement of the actual kinect? I have plenty of room to play but does it have to be a certain distance off the ground? I can give it maybe a foot and a half off the ground. 2' tops.

Reason I ask is because I have a projector and a large screen so there isn't much distance from the bottom of the screen to the floor so I just can't place kinect very high up. It will have to sit on top of my sub.

I can stand back as far as 15' and if I move the couch I can go back even further.

Last edited:
My friend had his only about 6" off the ground and it worked fine as long as you were far enough back, or else it couldn't track your head lol. We needed to be atleast 4-5 feet away for it to see us foot to head. But it did work fine.

As far as I can tell, a normal USB extension should work fine, I have a launch console and the kinect plugs into a USB port so I dont see why a normal usb extension wouldn't work.

Definitely was on the fence.

Then I played it release.... dance game was pretty lame and I was even drunk and having fun.

BUT THEN...... all this new PC hacks with the kinect cam makes me REALLY want to check it out. Sold out everywhere for the normal price, and I'm no sucker so I didn't order it recently. You suck microsoft..... wtf?

Then I played it release.... dance game was pretty lame and I was even drunk and having fun.

BUT THEN...... all this new PC hacks with the kinect cam makes me REALLY want to check it out. Sold out everywhere for the normal price, and I'm no sucker so I didn't order it recently. You suck microsoft..... wtf?

How can MS suck if you've just changed your mind? It was a no brainer this thing was gonna shift.

Check local stores, most online retailers are selling out as soon as they come in. Most of the Best Buys in my area have stock, but when I asked why I was told thats because they keep restocking after selling what was on the floor.

I see them in stores, but large online retailers are flush out. Check closer to home.

when i was looking it was out everywhere... except gamstop. they had like 15 left. id check there

Even if I had a 360 I wouldn't get one. I can't see the use for this for real games outside of wacky party games. Sure interfacing it for navigating menus is cool and such but it's just as easy using a game pad. Plus, besides at my parents house, no rooms in my school can support the room requirements.

Even if I had a 360 I wouldn't get one. I can't see the use for this for real games outside of wacky party games. Sure interfacing it for navigating menus is cool and such but it's just as easy using a game pad. Plus, besides at my parents house, no rooms in my school can support the room requirements.

Neither your parents house or your entire school has 6 spare feet? :eek: That sucks

The amount of room it needs can be an issue. In my front room I just have enough for single player games with how the room is setup. If I turn the tv I can get enough room for 2 player games.

Anyway I will say I use mine as much as a replacement for the headset as I do for the games. Waiting to see what else they can come up with for it. Overall I'm happy with it so far.

Neither your parents house or your entire school has 6 spare feet? :eek: That sucks

No my parents house would work but at school I'd have to completely rearrange all the furniture. Oncampus housing doesn't provide a lot of free space in the living room area.

No my parents house would work but at school I'd have to completely rearrange all the furniture. Oncampus housing doesn't provide a lot of free space in the living room area.

I was kind of kidding, but I understand on campus living is tight. One of the bigger issues with Kinect is simply space required. I think most people after unboxing it won't mind shifting furniture a bit, but if you have to re-arrange its likely a reasonable to avoid it for now.

If anyone wants to play some Kinects Sports online gimme a FR, really wanna play some footy and table tennis online but can't seem to find any randoms :confused:

Well my 4gb 360, kinect and surprise games are under the christmas tree! Im just a bit worried about the space issue, i might have to buy a new tv and sofa and put the 360 in my sons large play room, this is turning out to be very exspensive! I just wish i could have it in the living room but the mortgage is in the way!!!

Played this quite a bit last night at a friends house. Was good fun, but sadly we only had Kinect Adventures and some demos to mess around with.

If anyone wants to play some Kinects Sports online gimme a FR, really wanna play some footy and table tennis online but can't seem to find any randoms :confused:

Really? Was it a weird time you tried? I've never had to wait more than like 10 seconds to be paired up with someone.

Well my 4gb 360, kinect and surprise games are under the christmas tree! Im just a bit worried about the space issue, i might have to buy a new tv and sofa and put the 360 in my sons large play room, this is turning out to be very exspensive! I just wish i could have it in the living room but the mortgage is in the way!!!

How much room do you have now?

How much room do you have now?

If i was to stay in one spot id have about 6ft, but i only would then have about 1ft around me to move, sofa is huge but i prefere that to kinect lol!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/center_stage_bracket.html

Just installed the Center Stage Bracket CSB-1210-BLK from Crutchfield to have the Kinect placed above the TV. Very solid product. It uses rubber feet on screws to support itself against the TV, which are adjustable. The part that touches the rim of the TV is rubberized. Also comes with the rubber mat to ensure whatever you put on
the stage slips off.

The 1210 is sized to support center speakers. I was contemplating between the one I bought to the smaller product CSB-505-BLK (which is more ideal if you just want to place only the Kinect above the TV).

Anyway ended up moving my center speaker above the TV, and placing the Kinect on top of the center stage. If you don't need the size of the 1210, I imagine the 505 would work great with just the Kinect.

Pics of the 1210

5232428342_937b18e92a_b.jpg

5232428984_db1df4f1a7_b.jpg

I discovered putting Kinect above the TV saved me 2 feet of floor space. So instead of buying expensive mounts (which is fine), I picked up a $7 floating shelf from Target, and $3 wire housing. Took 20 minutes.

kinect1.jpg

kinect2.jpg

Been playing this (Specifically Dance Central) whilst staying with a friend. Been top notch fun. Gamers and non gamers alike have been playing the hell out of it.

Will definitely be picking it up for xmas now.

Been playing this (Specifically Dance Central) whilst staying with a friend. Been top notch fun. Gamers and non gamers alike have been playing the hell out of it.

Will definitely be picking it up for xmas now.

Nice, glad it worked out for you.

Well we played kinect last night for the first time. Our problem isn't enough space, it's too much space. Too much on the sides and front and back so as i'm hopping around I go out of range a lot. I'll have to do something to better define the space.
I have it about 18" off the ground which is less than they suggest but it works.

My issues is after playing it for a short time I get wonky colors on the screen. Almost like when you switch your desktop to 256 colors. But then I can play for hours like that. That never happened the entire time I played Halo. I wonder if the additional processing done on the xbox is causing it to overheat?
I did get this xbox for free as it had the red ring but I fixed and it's been fine until now. I have a feeling i'm going to have to pick up a new xbox.

As far as the gameplay, we only play kinect adventures so far though we do have kinect sports as well. It's pretty fun. And it was a good workout. There is some lag so this will never be used for twitch based games or at least not well. But for party games, sports games, it's pretty fun. I'd like to try a fighting game and see how that goes.

So far i'd say definitely better than the wii. No doubt about it. And slightly more responsive. But we really need to play it more to say for sure.

Well we played kinect last night for the first time. Our problem isn't enough space, it's too much space. Too much on the sides and front and back so as i'm hopping around I go out of range a lot. I'll have to do something to better define the space.
I have it about 18" off the ground which is less than they suggest but it works.

My issues is after playing it for a short time I get wonky colors on the screen. Almost like when you switch your desktop to 256 colors. But then I can play for hours like that. That never happened the entire time I played Halo. I wonder if the additional processing done on the xbox is causing it to overheat?
I did get this xbox for free as it had the red ring but I fixed and it's been fine until now. I have a feeling i'm going to have to pick up a new xbox.

As far as the gameplay, we only play kinect adventures so far though we do have kinect sports as well. It's pretty fun. And it was a good workout. There is some lag so this will never be used for twitch based games or at least not well. But for party games, sports games, it's pretty fun. I'd like to try a fighting game and see how that goes.

So far i'd say definitely better than the wii. No doubt about it. And slightly more responsive. But we really need to play it more to say for sure.

1. Get Kinect above your tv trust me. I bet your 'out of range' issues stem more from you playing it too low and it not having a good enough view of the space. Place it above the TV ~6' and you should notice a drastic difference.

2. I have not heard one other issue with strange coloring when using Kinect. This is not because some of the processing is offloaded, this is likely you're Kinect device. Process of elimination, try your Kinect on someone elses xbox and rule something out. If the problem follows Kinect, you have the answer.

1. Get Kinect above your tv trust me. I bet your 'out of range' issues stem more from you playing it too low and it not having a good enough view of the space. Place it above the TV ~6' and you should notice a drastic difference.

2. I have not heard one other issue with strange coloring when using Kinect. This is not because some of the processing is offloaded, this is likely you're Kinect device. Process of elimination, try your Kinect on someone elses xbox and rule something out. If the problem follows Kinect, you have the answer.

1. can't put it above the TV. It's a screen and there is only about 8" or less of space between the top and the ceiling. And i'd have USB extension cables strewn across the ceiling.

2. It's not limited to the kinect itself. If I exit whatever game i'm playing and go back to the main menu it stays that way. I have to unplug the AV cable and turn off my receiver and then reconnect and turn it back on and maybe the color defect is gone. I'm really thinking it's over heating. The prototypes of the unit had a processor built in but the consumer version had the processor removed and it uses the xbox processor now which is what led me to believe it's overheating. All I can really do is try another game without kinect completely and see.
But kinect games start out fine and after about 5 minutes it goes funky.

This is what i'm working with, receiver and xbox are above the fireplace:
IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

Last edited:
1. can't put it above the TV. It's a screen and there is only about 8" or less of space between the top and the ceiling. And i'd have USB extension cables strewn across the ceiling.

2. It's not limited to the kinect itself. If I exit whatever game i'm playing and go back to the main menu it stays that way. I have to unplug the AV cable and turn off my receiver and then reconnect and turn it back on and maybe the color defect is gone. I'm really thinking it's over heating. The prototypes of the unit had a processor built in but the consumer version had the processor removed and it uses the xbox processor now which is what led me to believe it's overheating. All I can really do is try another game without kinect completely and see.
But kinect games start out fine and after about 5 minutes it goes funky.

This is what i'm working with, receiver and xbox are above the fireplace:
IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

Holy shit, bow down. Ok well I would try to prop up the Kinect as high as you can w/o blocking the screen. Even if only as a test you could use some books or something to see if getting it higher will help.

Holy shit, bow down. Ok well I would try to prop up the Kinect as high as you can w/o blocking the screen. Even if only as a test you could use some books or something to see if getting it higher will help.

Your books idea is good. I don't know why I haven't though about that before. I can stack them on the sub behind the front channel speaker to get it up higher. I'll do that.

was gonna pick one up sooner or later, but was in a gamestop today when UPS literally came in with boxes in which one was their weekly allotment of kinects. So obviously i impulse bought one. I have had a PS3 with Sony Move since its launch. But, the kincet impressed with its tech more than i thought i would be. The Move tech is pretty sound as well. Its obvious its gonna come down to which pub does what with their software, rather than the specific tech itself.

So my xbox really did die. Well it turns on and I can hear audio but there is no longer video. Can't complain too much as I got it for free.

So I picked up a 250gb xbox from walmart today and they included a $75 gift card so it was a pretty good deal. Still didn't want to spend the money but as we got kinect for the kids for christmas I kinda had to.

So my xbox really did die. Well it turns on and I can hear audio but there is no longer video. Can't complain too much as I got it for free.

So I picked up a 250gb xbox from walmart today and they included a $75 gift card so it was a pretty good deal. Still didn't want to spend the money but as we got kinect for the kids for christmas I kinda had to.

I'm considering picking one of those up at Walmart because of that deal. Its basically a 250 for the price of the 4GB. I have an Elite (Jasper) and its solid, I just would prefer the silent(ness) of the Slim.

I'm on the fence but Dance Central may tempt me to get one. I'm such a huge HMX fan.

Back