Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 32gb - $299 - Amazon.com

yeah the new kindles must be coming out soon. Some crazy deals have been popping up

I would rather get the new nVidia Shield tab for $300; much better specs/performance overall (excluding the display/resolution), while not running a forked version of Android, so it has the Play Store, front facing speakers, and expandable storage. Not a bad price though if you'd prefer to stay in Amazon's ecosystem.

I would rather get the new nVidia Shield tab for $300; much better specs/performance overall (excluding the display/resolution), while not running a forked version of Android, so it has the Play Store, front facing speakers, and expandable storage. Not a bad price though if you'd prefer to stay in Amazon's ecosystem.

Yeah, depends on what you plan to use it for. More storage on the Kindle Fire and MUCH longer battery life. But the Shield Tablet spanks it hard, performance-wise.

Kinda surprised the drop to $299 isn't a permanent thing in response to the Shield Tablet.

Yeah, depends on what you plan to use it for. More storage on the Kindle Fire and MUCH longer battery life. But the Shield Tablet spanks it hard, performance-wise.

Kinda surprised the drop to $299 isn't a permanent thing in response to the Shield Tablet.

Is it really that much better battery life? Shield certainly isn't bad with almost 11 hours web-browsing and over 11 hours video playback (source).

The Kindle is a fine tablet, but the lack of Google Play access just plain sucks.

I finally got fed up not being able to load the software I needed and rooted my Fire HD and blew it away and installed Kit Kat 4.4.4 on it.

I've been very happy since.

NOTE: There is STILL no Prime app for Android. Amazon can really suck at some things.

Damn hot deal for the HDX 8.9!

The Kindle is a fine tablet, but the lack of Google Play access just plain sucks.

NOTE: There is STILL no Prime app for Android. Amazon can really suck at some things.

And that's Amazon's genius at work: buy their tablet (or new phone) and get access your Prime Instant Video account, or buy a different tablet (or phone) and get Google Play, but no PIV. Amazing marketing, for sure.

I don't agree with it...I'm a paying Prime customer, so I should be able to access my benefits on my own chosen devices. And hopefully that will happen soon.

Is it really that much better battery life? Shield certainly isn't bad with almost 11 hours web-browsing and over 11 hours video playback (source).

Huh, nice. I had read the battery life wasn't that hot. It isn't that great when gaming, but that's the price you pay for Tegra K1 power.

hot deal but 2560 x 1600 on a screen that isn't even 9" is a bit over kill.

Funny thing is, there is a prime app fir iOS. In fact, there's one for Android. It runs on the Kindle :)

Damn hot deal for the HDX 8.9!

And that's Amazon's genius at work: buy their tablet (or new phone) and get access your Prime Instant Video account, or buy a different tablet (or phone) and get Google Play, but no PIV. Amazing marketing, for sure.

I don't agree with it...I'm a paying Prime customer, so I should be able to access my benefits on my own chosen devices. And hopefully that will happen soon.

Still about month and half before they announce a new one. But there really haven't been any new significant SOCs since last year (not counting Apple). Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 is out but it's just higher frequency. Until 810, nothing really worth upgrading for.

Deal is tempting...especially because I'm still rep-ing the OG Kindle.

Back