Kindle Fire HD 8.9" - $250 (WiFi); $450 4G+WiFi

jamaicanpi

Limp Gawd
Today amazon is running a sale for $50 off the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablets.

Enter code FIREHD89

I believe this works with all Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablets

Prices and links below
WiFi only version
16GB+Ads - $250
16GB - $265

WiFi+4G
32GB+Ads - $450
32GB - $465

Reviews
Slashgear
Engadget

For reference:
Fire HD (7") - $200
Google Nexus 10 - $400
Ipad - $500

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a pretty good deal.
But I wonder...if they take $50 off now, how much will they take off come Christmas time?

It looks like this is rootable and CM10 should be coming out for it.

I just bought the nexus 10, don't know if i should return it and get a Kindle and save me some money? what you guys think?
I mainly use it for reading PDF research documents, email, netflix and light gaming

Well scooped one up. I have been wanting to get another tablet since I sold my iPad but just for reading tech books and light media consumption. Was afraid 7" would be to small and felt the iPad was to big for extended periods of time so hoping this is a happy medium.

Awesome price, just picked one up for me to use so now I don’t have to keep borrowing the wife’s Ipad any longer lol.

I just bought an iPad 4 and Fire HD 7 in the last month and I'm still tempted to buy the Fire HD 8.9. God something is really wrong with me.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.
I ordered the 8.9" 16GB for my gf for xmas.
I would have liked to have gotten her the 4G version, but the price difference is a bit much.

Btw, I ordered the one with 'special offers' because it was ~$15 less. There must be some way to get that crap off there, right?

Thanks for the heads up, OP.
I ordered the 8.9" 16GB for my gf for xmas.
I would have liked to have gotten her the 4G version, but the price difference is a bit much.

Btw, I ordered the one with 'special offers' because it was ~$15 less. There must be some way to get that crap off there, right?

Watch XDA for a Cyanogen 10 port for this tablet. Its in the works and isnt fully functional yet.

$200 more for a 4G module and 16GB more space?! Do you know what the definition of "rip-off" is?

$200 more for a 4G module and 16GB more space?! Do you know what the definition of "rip-off" is?

Doesn't seem that off-base. Apple charges $130 premium for the 4G radio on their devices (so a total of $230 for the radio and a 16GB bump). Google charges only $50 for the upgrade to 4G radio on the Nexus 7, but that's the absolute minimum because they make next to no profit on the device. Also, with Amazon your first year of 4G service on the device is only $50, so part of the profit from the $200 markup is surely subsidizing the service costs. With other tablets that have 3G/4G radios, it's usually roughly $100 premium for the radio itself and $50-100 premium for a jump from 16GB to 32GB, and this is in-line with those prices. When you consider the excellent deal on service that is offered, it's actually a good price overall for what you are getting (at least for the first year you own it).

Ripoff or not, sadly the $70 for 16GB upgrade and $130 for 4G is pretty much normal.

I do find it funny that the smaller the tablet, cheaper the storage option upgrades are. Like somehow the size of the tablet is relevant to the cost of flash memory.

7 inch Nexus and Fire HD tablets... 16GB upgrade is $50
8.9 inch Fire HD tablet... 16GB upgrade is $70
10 inch Nexus 10 tablet... 16GB upgrade is $100

Back