Kind of a newbie question

yfel

Limp Gawd
I'm looking at building two pc's for my fiance and myself and I thought I'd make the leap to Vista. I haven't had any problems with xp or anything, I just want to be able to use all my memory (and it looks pretty).

Anyway, do I need a separate copy of Vista for each machine? I mean it's like, technically they are both my computers, they will be ten feet from each other, but does MS have some kind of authentication per pc deal? I'm not trying to do anything illegal or anything, I just don't want to drop another 100 bucks if I don't have to, this is already going to break me pretty good.

According to the the Vista EULA, you may assign one PC as the legal device & only one license per device.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use (Ultimate edition) sections below, you may not use the software on any other device.
You'll have to buy 2 copies. You might as well go with OEM versions if possible due to the price issue.

You could buy a 3 pack and save the 3rd for later, might be cheaper than the 2 seperate ones. Not 100% sure on this tbh...

You will definitely need two licenses. However, if you bought the OEM licenses, and ended up upgrading the parts on one or both (most likely), you might need to call in the activation. Anytime I upgrade a part, my wife gets the older part, so there would be a chance, if you handle it like me, you'd have to call in both re-activations. I've been lucky so far that I haven't had to call in with either system. Her's is running an OEM Vista Ultimate x64 and mine is running a TechNet copy of Vista Ultimate x64.

The beauty of Vista is that it maintains itself better than XP. I used to reimage my system to a clean install everything three months with XP. Now, I'm going on well over a year since Vista was installed, and I haven't had any slow downs or issues.

Probably supply & demand pricing. Maybe more are likely to buy the 1 pack than a 3 pack.

Thanks for the input, I grabbed two OEM copies of vista64 from newegg.

Now what should I expect going from xp to vista? Am I in for some kind of operating system culture shock?

Back