Kimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

25mm thick fans would fit fine with the ST30.

Based on my testing of dual 980s on the 600W, the 700W should handle dual 980 Ti's, but you won't have headroom for much overclocking.

25mm thick fans would fit fine with the ST30.

Based on my testing of dual 980s on the 600W, the 700W should handle dual 980 Ti's, but you won't have headroom for much overclocking.

Great to know..thanks! With dual 980ti's i don't think i'll feel the need to overclock, they should be sufficient enough at stock speeds for what I need.

That's actually really good to know. I had planned to under clock my boards just a bit to keep thermals low without obliterating performance completely. Getting a good look at the final version of this case will give me a better idea which direction to go. The initial hope was to cool the cpu via a closed loop, power the whole thing via an ATX PSU so I've got good overhead there, and run both GPU boards (blowers) with a small clock decrease. The intent is to build a compact deep learning box, small enough to bring with me while I travel.

I want a 2011 socket type cpu and dual gpus.
Most likely getting a new mobo and cpu and recycling my two 980ti.
M.2 for main drive, and 2tb SSD for storage.

What is the best/ biggest air cooler this is believed to fit this case with such a load-out?

Large top-down heatsinks would be the best for air coolers. I don't have one but a Noctua C14S should fit.I do have the slightly smaller C14 and it handles the 5930K well.

Large top-down heatsinks would be the best for air coolers. I don't have one but a Noctua C14S should fit.I do have the slightly smaller C14 and it handles the 5930K well.
When you published reviews of X99M WS and X99 Micro 2 (which btw were great, thank you for your dedication) I was going to make comments with two suggestions that I ended up not posting (the browser crashed or something iirc and I got lazy rewriting the lost drafts) and one of them was that you could probably measure the distance(s) from the center of the CPU socket to the top PCIe slot (and to the rear edge of the board) and include them in each review as a useful bit of information for large air cooler users seeking compatibility information.

That's a good idea. I think someone does that, can't remember who.

I think both reviews turned out pretty well but if I'd known no one else would have a review up almost a month later I'd have spent more time with both boards and done more testing. More benchmarks, more overclocking, etc.

But now I'm busy with Nova so the next motherboard review probably won't be for a while. Unless the Z170 Impact is just particularly awesome and I can't resist.

What is the best/ biggest air cooler this is believed to fit this case with such a load-out?

After double-checking I think the Noctua C14S is a really good candidate. I'll need to get one and physically verify because it's within a mm of fitting based on the specs on the Noctua site. If it does fit that will probably be one of the best air coolers since it doesn't leave a gap between the heatsink and the side bracket.

Ah yes like that. And would that be with or without one or two GPUs, with or without cooling, ATX or SFX PSU ? Just "fillin 'er up" would probably mean a custom HDD rack would be needed.

We've had quite a busy week! Apologies for the lack of photos, but here's a cluster I think you'll find interesting.

In this picture, we have some prototype parts on racks, already powder coated, and ready to go into the kiln. This is actually one of the final steps in the process, and takes place just before assembly.

3ub1jC4.jpg

And here you have the controls for the kiln. The top modules control temperature, which is held very steady as the paint is cured. Note that the powder coatings themselves are dry as they enter the oven, and dry as they come out, however - the temperature is what causes it (the powder) to chemically react, and bind temporarily, creating the coating.

S7zthzf.jpg

3MJWAOw.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest you resize the pictures so that they are more useful and convenient for anyone. They are simply too big.

A solitary photo of an open box with a suggestive headline....

This is how blood pressures are sent through the roof!

Haha, sorry to be such a tease. We timed things poorly and ran out of pics before we're ready to show off the case, so you'll have to hang tight and wait a bit longer while we finalize a few things :)

Just wondering, what people's ideal motherboard for this case is?

Presumably the Asus X99M-WS, but the lack of 32Gb/s M.2 and lower bandwidth for double spacing GPU's is a let down.

Any thoughts?

Presumably the Asus X99M-WS, but the lack of 32Gb/s M.2 and lower bandwidth for double spacing GPU's is a let down.

For X99, if you like good fan controls, want to use a air cooler, need PCIe 3.0 on the bottom slot, and don't need 32Gb/s M.2, then the Asus is my pick.

If you will be water cooling and need M.2, then the EVGA X99 Micro2.

If you don't need PCIe 3.0 x4 (5820K) or x8 (5930K/5960X) on the bottom slot, then the ASRock boards are good options.

All most there!
Aiboh,wanted to ask you have the hole pattern been changed since the prototype(to something bit smaller)or is it going to be the same?

The pattern is the same. The exterior holes are slightly smaller in diameter, don't remember exactly what it is offhand.

Looking at the original 3d model i remember that the diameter was a litle big but since it has changed,than cool!What i wanted to hear.
I hope to see that box form page 65 opened soon :)
Cheers

For a single GPU setup, could an AIO 240mm be run on the bottom to cool the CPU while an AIO 120/140mm runs on the side panel to cool a full-sized GPU w/ an AIO Bracket?

I'm going to assume that the tubes would have to do some real twisting, turning, and pinching though...

For a single GPU setup, could an AIO 240mm be run on the bottom to cool the CPU while an AIO 120/140mm runs on the side panel to cool a full-sized GPU w/ an AIO Bracket?

Absolutely. Project Nova is going to support a ton of options for mounting AIO's and radiators, and a bottom 240mm with a side 120mm/140mm is probably going to be quite common ;) The only thing you'll want to watch out for, really, is the height of the block and bracket for your GPU.

Even if you have a waterblocked GPU in the third PCI slot, regular fans and a ~30mm radiator/AIO will fit cozily on the bottom of the case. But the aftermarket solutions that attach to the GPU die alone tend to be much taller than full blocks, so (especially if you're going with a thicker rad) you'll want to do the math to ensure that all the hardware fits. That said, I wouldn't anticipate any issues unless you're using a stupidly-thick radiator.

You're right that the tubing could be a pain, but if the graphics card is standard width you'd have the room to just run all of it along the side. I'd do it through the front, personally, but with AIO's you might not have the choice since the tubing length is fixed.

Any updates?

I'll just copy/paste PlayfulPhoenix's post from SFF Forum:

We've done a poor job of communicating why we're stuck, and we own that completely. I'm sorry for leaving you all out to dry on this, but we've been just as frustrated, if not more so.

Essentially, the front I/O has been giving us trouble because we've reconfigured how we'll be implementing it something like three times now. We've gone from a solution similar to the current prototype (two bundles) to a hybrid solution that combined a cable bundle and a board, to (now) a custom integrated solution on a board make specifically for us.

We're currently pretty happy with how that's been turing out (there are some benefits to the latest iteration of this component that we think people will like), but the downside is that it has simply taken forever to arrive at this point. For each solution, we have to work through our manufacturer, establish standards, get quotes, incorporate that into the case model and then refactor manufacturing... And with so many levels of work and so much communication needed, arriving at a decision point to try something else can take weeks. And it has, each time.

Alongside this I/O issue, we're also having to do some minor re-engineering of the case in order to maintain our price target and keep Nova's pricing reasonable and within the bounds we've mentioned in the past (staying as true to that as possible is very important to us). Even for an ostensibly luxury good, we want the case to be as accessible as possible - but on the other hand, we have to ensure pricing and a cost structure that keeps our business solvent, provides coverage for any unexpected costs, and allows for us to maintain operations and expand our offerings. It's a very delicate balance.

---

It hasn't all been bad news, though - a lot of my own time recently has been spent polishing up the new website (which will coincide with the case reveal), and we've enlisted some design help to make that look really fantastic. We've also been working with a friend and professional on crowdfunding tiers, and other things that will come into play during the campaign, and that too is actually quite exciting for me personally.

Looking beyond KI, the other project that Aiboh and I and confusis have been working on is this forum, and SFF Network. And that's seen some really great progress as well - we've had consistent growth in traffic and engagement, we've been engaging with vendors for product reviews and other things, and we have some projects and ideas in development that will be huge boons for the SFF community.

---

Anyways, I know that we've asked a lot from you all in terms of being patient for us, and I'm deeply appreciative of that, even if I don't say it enough. Regardless as to how chatty or quiet we are on the forums, we've been working very hard behind the scenes to push this forward and ensure that the cases we design and make are worth the wait. So I hope that comes through, if anything.

I'm really curious what this custom I/O solution is :D
Facial recognition ? Fingerprint reader ? Beer dispenser ? ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES !!

Keeping in mind that ATX PSUs limit the CPU heatsink clearance to ~45mm, what kind of PSU are you all planning to use?

http://strawpoll.me/5931693

I'm really curious what this custom I/O solution is :D
Facial recognition ? Fingerprint reader ? Beer dispenser ? ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES !!

Nothing so exciting :p Basically the current IO implementation looks nice, but off the shelf parts don't fit.

Aiboh,any news?
That a side,do you think there will be any problems fitting the be quiet! dark rock tf inside with its 2 fans?Im not sure if the fans on this thing will hit the psu and it looks like a such a sweet cooler.

No news.

That heatsink should fit. Interference with the PSU is a problem on the M1 due to it being Mini-ITX, since microATX is 74mm wider plus a bit of space between the board and the PSU, I don't think there are any heatsinks that meet the height limit but would interfere with a SFX power supply.

Back