Kimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Either of those layouts should work with a single GPU provided the tubing is long enough.

Bottom rad fitment becomes dependent on the thickness of the rad + fans with dual video cards.

Fans are more effective pushing air through obstacles/restrictions than they are pulling air through them. Most are designed with "push" in mind.

I've been watching this thread daily for quite sometime, I was hoping the case would be out in time for Skylake but with the recent changes and continued iteration do you think that will be a reality assuming it's successfully crowdfunded (if you're still planning to go that route)?

I'm only asking because I'm debating ordering a second M1 but I already have one and really would like Nova's mATX solution for a bit more power.

While I'm posting I'll attach this quote:

Here's a few random suggestions:
"Singularity" - in the sense of the centre of a black hole which has an incredible amount of mass in a tiny space.
"Quanta"/"Quantum" - in physics, it's the minimum amount of a physical entity.
"Photon" - a tiny packet of energy
"Vice" - in the sense of a screw clamp that holds/squeezes things in place
"Corset" - somewhat feminine, I guess, but it's also a device that squeezes and holds things in place
"Artifact" - in the fantasy/video-gamey sense that rare artifacts are man-made objects of great power

I quite like the 'Photon' name that Kaldskryke suggested.

I've been watching this thread daily for quite sometime, I was hoping the case would be out in time for Skylake but with the recent changes and continued iteration do you think that will be a reality assuming it's successfully crowdfunded (if you're still planning to go that route)?

By "out in time", I presume you mean "in people's hands"? If we take this product announcement by Biostar to mean that Skylake will be available at around the same time... I mean, it will be pretty darn close-cut, if not a little hard to say given all the variables. I'd like to be more specific, but I don't want to make promises that we ultimately can't keep, since that would be incredibly lame of us :p

What I can say definitively, though, is that we're at the point where almost all of our efforts are going towards getting the case made, versus the development of additional design changes. The most recent design modification, for example, was to simplify a particular fabrication process, rather than add functionality an end user would notice. Just so you have a sense of our current focus.

Anyway, I do dislike having to punt the question, but there will be a much better sense of this pretty soon, once we can announce a few things. I know that it seems like we're moving slowly, since we haven't been able to share much, but that's not the case at all, and I think you'll be inclined to agree with us, perhaps a little sooner than you think ;)

While I'm posting I'll attach this quote... I quite like the 'Photon' name that Kaldskryke suggested.

It's safe to say that we've exited the space theme entirely (even if there were a few good naming options). But I quite like our new name. I think you all will, too.

On a separate forum, I joked that, on paper, our case is a "Bulldog killer", since it's much more flexible than Corsair's LRPC, even at a smaller volume. But when literally interpreted, I suppose it still holds true...

Know which board I'm getting :)

AsQYrFM.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1558678/...icro2-with-usb-3-1-type-c/20_20#post_24041298

Has it been confirmed that it has a 3.0x8 on the bottom slot?

With a 40 lane processor it most likely is. I see no reason why they'd change positives from the Micro 1 when they are releasing the Micro 2 to fix negatives of the Micro 1.

We're right there with you. Hit some important and hard-earned milestones in the past few days, but we're awaiting word from some partners before we can really hit the accelerator on things :D

Great! I check this thread daily for updates! lol..i know i know....creeper status

Was following the development of this case for a while... with the NOVA you had my attention, but with the CERBERUS you have all my money. Where can I sign up and when?

I think he's referring to the upcoming name change as there already is a case by caselabs that's called nova. But I don't know whether cerberus was up for debate at any point in time.

Ow, it's all about the product. I don't care if they call it the Kimera Habanero :D ;)
Exciting times, I'm really curious to see what's been happening.

I think he's referring to the upcoming name change as there already is a case by caselabs that's called nova.
Different case, atleast from what I've seen(just google it). NOVA is 17L, but the KI website states that the CERBERUS is 18L. Could've been an old design though, not sure anymore :/

Great! I check this thread daily for updates! lol..i know i know....creeper status

Not at all, I did the same when I first stumbled on the M1. I just wish we had interim updates to share - we're at the point where we can't say much until we can say a lot, and it know it completely stinks for you all to be left in the dark :eek:

What did I miss ? :eek:

I think he's referring to the upcoming name change as there already is a case by caselabs that's called nova. But I don't know whether cerberus was up for debate at any point in time.

Different case, atleast from what I've seen(just google it)... Could've been an old design though, not sure anymore :/

Before people start jumping to conclusions from this, let me clarify what it is :p A month-ish ago, I made a copy of our home page and experimented with layouts and new product names for Nova, since James and I were still undecided about some stuff. We've since made up our minds (and deleted the page), but Google seems to have cached it before then.

Anyway, we're certainly not working on another case or product, at least for the moment - Nova's been keeping our hands plenty full :rolleyes:

[...]
Before people start jumping to conclusions from this, let me clarify what it is :p A month-ish ago, I made a copy of our home page and experimented with layouts and new product names for Nova, since James and I were still undecided about some stuff. We've since made up our minds (and deleted the page), but Google seems to have cached it before then.

Anyway, we're certainly not working on another case or product, at least for the moment - Nova's been keeping our hands plenty full :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what I thought. How would you possibly already model the next case if the first one isn't even done? Or are you just hiding something? :p

Any news? It's been a wee bit of time since we have heard from you?

Nothing new. Waiting on an alternate quote to see if we can bring the price down.

There have also been a few specific parts that have caused a lot of delay, in terms of securing quotes and getting our manufacturing/fulfillment pipeline set up. It's been a tad frustrating for us since we had an initial sense of the time it would take to get quotes, but basically blew right through that simply because a few third parties were slow to respond (or just outright not very receptive) :p I suppose we were naive in expecting to hit our initial time deadline for that.

Anyway, since we've finished organizing and setting up almost everything else (that we can, at least), we're stuck in a bit of a holding pattern until we get concrete numbers and other information that will let us lock everything down. But there has been progress, and hard-fought at that. Plus, certain ideas and other things we were unsure about feasibility-wise have since been vindicated by the input we've received from manufacturing, so we've been pretty excited about that. Options-wise for Nova, I think people will be pretty happy :)

TLDR: If you're familiar with that feeling where you've been at a 4-way intersection, stuck at a red light for a long time, and you just know that the green light is about to come on, but it stubbornly refuses to do so... That's how it's felt like for the past ~20 days, trying to secure quotes :eek: But the extra time has at least let us square away other things, so it's at least been productive.

Ah the ol' communication, it is a real obstacle in today's society. Talkin about email: on one end of the spectrum I have people at work flipping out because they can't access their mail one single time, on the other I have people casually saying: "ah I didn't get that (super important) mail... oh wait here it is, forget to read it" :mad:

What use is this modern way of communication if it's not taken seriously ?

Alright Phoenix needs to be the official company spokesman. He turned a nothing new/waiting on a quote into a damn good press release.

There have also been a few specific parts that have caused a lot of delay, in terms of securing quotes and getting our manufacturing/fulfillment pipeline set up. It's been a tad frustrating for us since we had an initial sense of the time it would take to get quotes, but basically blew right through that simply because a few third parties were slow to respond (or just outright not very receptive) :p I suppose we were naive in expecting to hit our initial time deadline for that.

Anyway, since we've finished organizing and setting up almost everything else (that we can, at least), we're stuck in a bit of a holding pattern until we get concrete numbers and other information that will let us lock everything down. But there has been progress, and hard-fought at that. Plus, certain ideas and other things we were unsure about feasibility-wise have since been vindicated by the input we've received from manufacturing, so we've been pretty excited about that. Options-wise for Nova, I think people will be pretty happy :)

TLDR: If you're familiar with that feeling where you've been at a 4-way intersection, stuck at a red light for a long time, and you just know that the green light is about to come on, but it stubbornly refuses to do so... That's how it's felt like for the past ~20 days, trying to secure quotes :eek: But the extra time has at least let us square away other things, so it's at least been productive.

Ok, well hurry up because I have one GTX 980Ti just sitting here as my other one is in my ncase....I would like to SLI them sometime this year...k thanks! Lol:D:D

I'm okay if Nova takes a bit more time to come out, just take your time and get it right. I'm fine with waiting patiently... unless the Oculus Rift shows up before the Nova!

I'm okay if Nova takes a bit more time to come out, just take your time and get it right. I'm fine with waiting patiently... unless the Oculus Rift shows up before the Nova!
Agreed, I need this so I can have a portable VR box! Actually, a confession: I got an M1 a few months ago because I was feeling impatient and wanted a tiny gaming PC that could fit in my backpack. Loving it, by the way. I have a portable monitor and so I can bring a full desktop gaming experience with me and pack it all away in my bag!

However, I'm starting to realize it may be more practical if I had a computer with a handle that I could carry separately, that way I'd have more room to fit the rest of my stuff in my backpack. And if it could fit two graphics cards... that would be amazing. While I can technically fit a full gaming setup in my backpack with the M1 and portable monitor, it gets very cramped in there and I have to take extra time to manage the space. Plus, if I want to take extra stuff beyond the basics I need a separate bag. So like, if I have to carry a second bag anyway, why not just carry the computer instead and consolidate all that other stuff into the pack?

I'm probably going to get a new motherboard and processor once Skylake comes out, and I'm debating whether I should stay with the M1 and get a mini ITX board, or whether I should hold off and get a mATX board once Nova (or whatever it's called now) comes out. I probably won't be doing any GPU upgrades until the Pascal chips come out, so I guess part of it boils down to whether I think a single Pascal flagship will suit my needs, and whether there are other desirable benefits of mATX that I haven't considered. But the M1 is just so cute and tiny... I'm not sure I can give it up.

Last edited:
Ok, well hurry up because I have one GTX 980Ti just sitting here as my other one is in my ncase....I would like to SLI them sometime this year...k thanks! Lol:D:D

The quality of Nova - both in terms of materials and assembly, and how it's designed - is absolutely paramount to us. There's little point to our project if it isn't one of the nicest cases you'll be able to buy, especially since our scale requires that the cost of Nova be higher than run-of-the-mill enclosures. So rest assured that we're not speeding things up in ways that will hurt that ;) Most of our efforts to expedite development have had more to do with being smart about how we work.

(And, somewhat ironically, most of our delays have been due to us waiting on third parties, rather than falling behind on our own things. There's only so much you can prepare for...)

Agreed, I need this so I can have a portable VR box! Actually, a confession: I got an M1 a few months ago because I was feeling impatient and wanted a tiny gaming PC that could fit in my backpack. Loving it, by the way. I have a portable monitor and so I can bring a full desktop gaming experience with me and pack it all away in my bag!

However, I'm starting to realize it may be more practical if I had a computer with a handle that I could carry separately, that way I'd have more room to fit the rest of my stuff in my backpack. And if it could fit two graphics cards... that would be amazing...

I have an M1 too, with extra panels to boot :) I'm basically in the same boat as you haha.

It has been interesting to me how many people have emphasized portable VR as their intended use case for Nova. It isn't something that I think Aiboh and I were specifically designing towards, but it really is a great solution for something like that since you really need two graphics cards to have a consistent experience. You can carry the computer in one hand, and a bag with everything else, and you're completely set.

I'm probably going to get a new motherboard and processor once Skylake comes out, and I'm debating whether I should stay with the M1 and get a mini ITX board, or whether I should hold off and get a mATX board once Nova (or whatever it's called now) comes out. I probably won't be doing any GPU upgrades until the Pascal chips come out, so I guess part of it boils down to whether I think a single Pascal flagship will suit my needs, and whether there are other desirable benefits of mATX that I haven't considered. But the M1 is just so cute and tiny... I'm not sure I can give it up.

If you find yourself happy with the performance of a single Pascal GPU, and you don't find yourself burdened much by the memory, PCI and storage limitations of ITX, then you'd probably be best served by sticking with your M1. Most people with M1s will be in that camp, I think, unless their needs change.

Nova really makes the most sense for people that want to maximize potential performance, and/or retain the component flexibility afforded by larger clearances and mATX. We think (obviously) that the balance of decisions and compromises we've made (with respect to capabilities and volume) will make sense for all sorts of people, but for others, the M1's noticeably smaller size will win out. It really comes down to how much you value those differences.

And, you know, that's much the point of these projects: giving people options that they otherwise wouldn't have. So it's a really good thing :)

We think (obviously) that the balance of decisions and compromises we've made (with respect to capabilities and volume) will make sense for all sorts of people, but for others, the M1's noticeably smaller size will win out. It really comes down to how much you value those differences.

And, you know, that's much the point of these projects: giving people options that they otherwise wouldn't have. So it's a really good thing :)
I completely agree. Regardless of which direction I personally go, I'm much better off for having these options and I love you guys (and the M1 team) for making it all possible. Plus, you've been very responsive to all of us who have been following this project and have taken our input into consideration, which is refreshing to see.

Hope you can get everything worked out with these 3rd parties!

It has been interesting to me how many people have emphasized portable VR as their intended use case for Nova. It isn't something that I think Aiboh and I were specifically designing towards, but it really is a great solution for something like that since you really need two graphics cards to have a consistent experience. You can carry the computer in one hand, and a bag with everything else, and you're completely set.

I was/am. The Nvidia announcement of the VR SLI feature with the launch of the 900-series was part of the reason I decided to attempt dual 980s in Nova-00.

I own both a DK1 and DK2 though they're both out on loan. Patiently waiting for CV1 and/or the Vive :D

I was/am. The Nvidia announcement of the VR SLI feature with the launch of the 900-series was part of the reason I decided to attempt dual 980s in Nova-00.

I own both a DK1 and DK2 though they're both out on loan. Patiently waiting for CV1 and/or the Vive :D
I just have the DK1, it's partially disassembled at the moment because some dust got in front of the screen somehow. I started to take it apart but got lazy and decided to play video games and never got back to it. I can kind of get in there with a cloth through the eye holes but not well enough to get the dust out. I should probably figure that out and get it fixed, VR is cool. That said, I decided to skip the DK2 and wait for CV1.

The VR SLI thing really intrigues me. Man, this isn't an easy decision. A lot of it will come down to cost for me. Not the cost of the Nova itself so much as the cumulative cost of SLI. Within the coming months I'm already going to be upgrading my motherboard, processor, RAM, GPU (well, when Pascal comes out), and possibly storage, in addition to getting the VR headset itself. I know CPU isn't a huge factor for gaming but mine is a mid-range Ivy Bridge i5 and I sometimes get bottlenecked by it in one of my more intense games. And with the motherboard, I'd just like better on-board audio, built-in bluetooth, and an M.2 connector for future super-fast storage.

If I do the Nova / mATX / SLI route, I'll have to get the Nova, a second GPU, and probably a better PSU (currently sfx 600w) on top of that stuff, and I might be too poor for that :D. That said, Pascal isn't until 2016 anyway, and even then it's not like I have to get both GPUs at the same time. One will probably be fine for most things. For me it's just a trade-off between tiny cute computer + saving money vs leaving the door open for beefier graphics. So, I'll be likely to sway based on how my finances change and based on how Pascal shapes up... and based on how much I care that I can fit the M1 in my backpack vs maybe the Nova would be better because of the handle (and more secure side panels, not that the M1's are bad, it's just... I feel a little nervous that one of them will somehow come off when I'm carrying it.)

Last edited:
Remember that VR SLI/crossfire is not 'automatic' like regular SLI is, and cannot be retrofitted to existing games. The game needs to be developed with VR SLI/crossfire support in order to correctly partition work out to each GPU.
Depending on how easy Unreal/Unity/Source make it to implement, support for it may be common. But it probably won't be universal, and anything using a custom engine is going to be less likely to support it (e.g. Elite, which is a custom engine with an already established codebase).

Remember that VR SLI/crossfire is not 'automatic' like regular SLI is, and cannot be retrofitted to existing games. The game needs to be developed with VR SLI/crossfire support in order to correctly partition work out to each GPU.
Depending on how easy Unreal/Unity/Source make it to implement, support for it may be common. But it probably won't be universal, and anything using a custom engine is going to be less likely to support it (e.g. Elite, which is a custom engine with an already established codebase).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "normal" SLI not automatic either? It's just that it's widely supported by developers / game engines. But you bring up a good point that a significant number of VR apps might not support VR SLI (or whatever that feature is actually called.) But... even if a VR game only supports regular SLI, wouldn't it still be able to utilize the second GPU reasonably well, just not with the special one-gpu-per-eye thing? I don't know. :D

In any case, I feel like most serious VR developers will support that, because good VR is going to be demanding enough to need it. I don't think most people fully grasp how demanding it'll be to do it right. I'm definitely nervous about sticking with the M1 and limiting myself to a single GPU for the future. Yes, the Vive is only 1080x1200 pixels per eye. But:
1) The off-screen rendering is 1.4x that size: 1512x1680, because if you don't do that and downsample it looks bad because of the lens distortion or something
2) It's running at 90hz instead of 60 (yeah, I know some people have 144hz monitors but shh)
3) you have two eyes (hopefully)

All in all according to this thing, running the Vive without reducing those settings is about as hard as pushing a 4K UHD display at ~45hz, plus I'm sure it'll be a lot more noticeable if you dip significantly below that frame rate in VR. So yeah, pretty high performance threshold. Anyway sorry if you guys already knew that, I get excited about things and ramble on about them. :D

Regular SLI/crossfire support is mostly hinged on Nvidia or AMD 'shimming' the driver to make sure it works without crashing and has reasonable performance scaling (the developer can help by writing game code in ways that can be easily paralleled, but it's not like there's a specific API they're targeting). SLI/crossfire is 'transparent' to the game engine. VR SLI/crossfire (and optionally multi-GPU for DX12 and Vulkan) is something that a game engine needs explicitly build into it.
The burden is shifted from primarily the GPU vendor to primarily the developer.

Regular SLI/crossfire support is mostly hinged on Nvidia or AMD 'shimming' the driver to make sure it works without crashing and has reasonable performance scaling (the developer can help by writing game code in ways that can be easily paralleled, but it's not like there's a specific API they're targeting). SLI/crossfire is 'transparent' to the game engine. VR SLI/crossfire (and optionally multi-GPU for DX12 and Vulkan) is something that a game engine needs explicitly build into it.
The burden is shifted from primarily the GPU vendor to primarily the developer.
Huh, thanks, that's interesting. I guess I just assumed there was an API for SLI because I've heard of games that "break" SLI support or otherwise don't work well with it. But in reality I guess it's more akin to an app not working well on multi-core CPUs because it's not threaded properly.

Awesome news: I'm happy to share that we've signed on with a manufacturer, and greenlit them to make pre-production test units of our final design! :) This will culminate in a few cases straight off the manufacturing line, that will more or less represent what [REDACTED] will look like in production. It's one of the most important (and final) preparatory steps to make, and it's what we've been waiting to begin for some time now.

Beyond giving us an opportunity to test and verify the design and its functionality (as well as perform various quality and other checks), this work also gives our manufacturer the opportunity to actually make the case, and look for places to simplify the design or streamline how they'll produce [REDACTED] at scale.

Needless to say, stuff’s starting to get really exciting!

Back