Kim Dotcom’s Extradition Appeal Concludes

HardOCP News

[H] News
Kim Dotcom's extradition appeal has come to a close. Are we taking any bets on whether or not he gets extradited to the United States? Frankly, I'm going to say the courts will eventually rule against him and he'll have to stand trial.

After more than four weeks the extradition appeal hearings of Kim Dotcom and his former Megaupload colleagues have concluded. In his closing arguments, Dotcom's lawyer urged the court to carefully weigh the facts and give his client a "fair go," which he says the District Court failed to do. However, even if the High Court sides with the defense, the case is still far from over.

They have already taken all the dude's money and possessions along with taking data from millions of customers and now the US wants to put him in a cell for another 5 years while a trial takes place. And then what, when he is convicted just lock him up and throw away the key? I'm sorry but I just don't see the justice in this whole ordeal. This whole copyright infringement thing has gotten so far out of hand it's just plain ridiculous. Meanwhile someone who stabs someone in the neck gets 5 years and someone who cons countless investors out of their life savings gets 5 years. Then lets not even talk about how much tax payer money is being spent by the US to fry infringers. Being in a cattle pasture with 1,000,000 cattle doesn't produce as much bullshit as is going on here.

They have already taken all the dude's money and possessions along with taking data from millions of customers and now the US wants to put him in a cell for another 5 years while a trial takes place. And then what, when he is convicted just lock him up and throw away the key? I'm sorry but I just don't see the justice in this whole ordeal. This whole copyright infringement thing has gotten so far out of hand it's just plain ridiculous. Meanwhile someone who stabs someone in the neck gets 5 years and someone who cons countless investors out of their life savings gets 5 years. Then lets not even talk about how much tax payer money is being spent by the US to fry infringers. Being in a cattle pasture with 1,000,000 cattle doesn't produce as much bullshit as is going on here.

Totally... I hear this case and all I see are supposed officials trying to make a example out of somebody and failing miserably while less effort seems to be put in trying actual cases. Like, we get it, you don't like what he did and now he's not doing it anymore. Either shutup and leave alone and give him back his stuff. There's no actual justice taking place here. As a matter of fact, even Disney recently cited they keep on eye on piracy to see how their disney products are doing and if there's high piracy, they know they have a highly liked product.

These trials are all happening in New Zealand and if Dotcom is having a hard time and things are being dragged out it's cause he keeps trying to appeal every decision. Now on the one hand, by New Zealand law it sounds like he is simply taking advantage of his legal rights. But he also keeps getting refused so at some point he will exhaust every effort to avoid his trial in the US and wind up in court there anyway. And what is so damned unfair about a US court? People act like he won't be given a fair shake but that isn't what I see in the news all the time. I don't see people getting screwed in court nearly as much as I see people getting over.

The way I see it, Dotcom is doing everything he possibly can to avoid his trial in the US cause he knows he's guilty as hell. The sooner Dotcom deals with the source of his problems the sooner he will get passed them, regardless of the outcome. Pussy needs to man up and deal.

The way I see it, Dotcom is doing everything he possibly can to avoid his trial in the US cause he knows he's guilty as hell. The sooner Dotcom deals with the source of his problems the sooner he will get passed them, regardless of the outcome. Pussy needs to man up and deal.

Or maybe he knows the whole damned process is bought and paid for, and he doesn't want any fucking part of it. No, it couldn't be that... clearly the US court system is 100% fair. It never tries to make an example of someone. It definitely never does that when there are clear corporate interests involved. No sir.

Last edited:
Or maybe he knows the whole damned process is bought and paid for, and he doesn't want any fucking part of it. No, it couldn't be that... clearly the US court system is 100% fair. It never tries to make an example of someone. It definitely never does that when there are clear corporate interests involved. No sir.

Oh no, it will make an example of someone. Even the civil court process does that and will allow for settlements in excess of damages as a form of deterrent or for sending a message.

You may not think it's fair but that's the way it is. But that is not the trial, that is the punishment/restitution sentencing part of our system. The US court system doesn't claim to be fair. It claims that you will be judged by your peers.

Fair .... life isn't fair, some people just can't accept it.

Really man, the process is bought and paid for ?
What, he can't have his own lawyer?
His lawyer doesn't get to help select the jury?

Our legal system has problems, I won't deny that. But it's not so bad that he has no chance to win, in fact, if anything it's mostly in his favor. Unless the prosecution has the evidence needed to convict.

Look at his lawyers argument against extradition;
Overall the defense believes that Megaupload and its employees enjoy safe harbor protection and can’t be held criminally liable for copyright infringement. As such, there is no extraditable offense.
He's trying to argue that they shouldn't send him back to the US for trail because they have no reason to charge him in the first place. That just is not what extradition is about and since it was the New Zealand authorities who raided his place and seized his servers in the first place, there are reasons they aren't buying this.

He is arguing here that he deleted the URLs to the content but not the content itself and that this is normal practice. But he was claiming before that he was deleting the content which by the way, is what is required under the safe harbor provisions.
While traditionally Megaupload should be able to get off on the claims that they corrected any illegal actions on their servers by deleting pirated material as per the safe harbor provision, the US feds aren’t having it.
US fights for extradition of Megaupload's Kim Dotcom

So in this latest trial, he just admitted to violating the Safe Harbor Provisions while he argues that he is protected under safe harbor and he shouldn't be sent back.

Last edited:
He'll be extradited at some point, it's amazing it's taken as long as it has. I think he knows it too, their entire strategy has been about delaying as long as possible and not about making a real case against extradition.

I really want to see how much hollywood and whoever else involved, paid for his head.

It must be an exorbitant amount!!!

There is no other way to explain this mockery of the law.

I really want to see how much hollywood and whoever else involved, paid for his head.

It must be an exorbitant amount!!!

There is no other way to explain this mockery of the law.

A mockery of who's law?

Once this thing moved to being an extradition case, it's all been about New Zealand law, not US law. So just make sure you put your mockerys on the right feet (y)

Back