Killzone 2 makes Gears 2 look like a high school attempt at gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Killzone 2’s secret ingredient is the fluidity in gameplay that we have come to enjoy more than its graphical prowess or jaw-dropping visuals. And that’s what games have always been about... We're surprised to see Killzone 2 blows our expectations out of the water with a memorable SP campaign and a stellar MP component. To put it short, this game makes "Gears of War 2" look like a high school attempt at gaming and that is a HUGE compliment!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/killzone2

John Carmack, the one that gave us Wolfenstein 3D in 1992, the Quake and Doom franchise.

During the interview, John first talked about Enemy Territory, how it was made, the textures and some little hints about the game. But the best part was he was asked about PS3.

He said that Sony is more powerful than XBOX because “the PS3 has more peak performance on there and that’s what Sony was looking for”. But Sony made a mistake when they chose Cell architecture, because Cell needs an asymmetrical approach, not like XBOX which has a symmetric approach and this thing makes XBOX porting a lot easier.

To take full advantage of the Cell architecture developers must break their code in to “small nuggets” and use a different compiler for the SPEs making developing for the PS3 more difficult then it needs to be.
http://news.soft32.com/john-carmack-and-his-thoughts-about-ps3_1432.html

an educational interview...

http://kotaku.com/gaming/video/carmack-hates-the-ps3-173732.php

Summary : Carmack says the PS3 is technically a more powerful rig than the 360, but that power is off-set by being a pain in the ass to program for.

A GG dev said:
It's a huge benefit. If you're developing a game on multiple platforms there are restrictions you always have to take into consideration.

A GG dev said:
We are taking huge advantage of the architecture of PS3. I firmly believe that what we've shown we can get out of that machine would be difficult, if not impossible, to deliver on a competing machine.

A GG dev said:
I would say impossible. We literally can't do this stuff on any machine other than the PS3. If you're developing a multiplatform game, and looking at your budgets, you have to find a common denominator between the systems and say: that's what I'm developing for. Whereas someone focused on a single platform can really take advantage of everything it has to offer.

GG says it can't be done. Now some may call them biased, but while they're at it, show us a console game that looks better than KZ2. I don't think the bitbag guy was exaggerating when he compared it to Crysis.

However one can't question Carmack's impartiality. The PS3, while harder to use, is more powerful. All of KZ 2's volumetric effects are running on the Cell's SPEs. Due to heavy use of deferred rendering, a typical scene has over 100 lights. X360 is optimized for traditional forward render. It doesn't have the bandwidth to accomplish what KZ2 is doing. It doesn't have the optical media either. One level of this game has 2gb of assets.

If some team comes along and makes a graphics powerhouse exclusive X360 game, maybe there is a chance of something eclipsing KZ2's graphics, by using the X360's hw in ways we haven't seen possible yet, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Halo 4 is next gen and everything else I can think of that might contend is multi-platform.

The lair team said they were doing things that nobody could do on any other machine too.

lawl.

You're like shamu you're so in the tank.

Because we only care about graphics these days. Graphics make the game AMAZING.

Which is why Crysis sold so well, right? Right?

If gameplay is good - that's awesome...but I don't see the huge thing about graphics. As many have pointed out before, they will give up graphics for gameplay, and due the how hard it is to use the PS3's Cell, how many games can we even expect to see like this, since Sony's dev tools are...well, shite (and always have been.)

And, last I checked, the 360 was outselling the PS3. Which is why Sony will do well right? Because they're being outsold?

Sigh.

Why are you doing this to yourself? This post, are you trying to start something? Someone close this thread, everyone knows how it's going to end.

Stereophile said:
Summary : Carmack says the PS3 is technically a more powerful rig than the 360, but that power is off-set by being a pain in the ass to program for.

Anyone who knows anything about hardware and programming knew this before the system's release.

NeoGohan said:
Why are you doing this to yourself? This post, are you trying to start something? Someone close this thread, everyone knows how it's going to end.

I agree, but I don't know what to report the post for. "This is flamebait, but it's not that far off from a PS3 lover's post in a PS3 vs 360 threads."

Should I call fanboy or troll?

Also... I would sure hope that the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox360, seeing as how it came out a year after the 360.

Geesh guys, come on give this guy a break. The metacritic scores for that game currently blow away allot of 360 game scores.

The review scores listed so far are from 4 independant sources:
Score Source
100 Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
100 Playstation Official Magazine Australia
99 MEGamers (note when you click to read more about this review, it lists this game is not reviewed by MEGamers.
90 Playstation Official Magazine UK
He's calling it. This year 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 is the year of the PS3

Either case, I think everyone would be happy if Killzone 2 turned out to be an awesome game. We need to keep competition alive to drive down prices.

Stereophile is no troll, but hes biased toward the pstriple.

Competition is alive with or without killzone 2.

I haven't seen anything in Killzone2 that makes it better then the average shooter. The only thing i can think of is the graphics. Maybe im missing something?

I haven't seen anything in Killzone2 that makes it better then the average shooter. The only thing i can think of is the graphics. Maybe im missing something?

incoming gif attack

I didnt realize this game was even out yet. I played the first one and loved it. I would run to the store right now and pick up a copy but with all this snow and ice layered like a wedding cake in my area, I wont be going anywhere anytime soon. :(

As for the OP posting flame bait...he isn't to far from the truth here but as it has been pointed out, this was pretty well known as soon as the specs for the PS3 were released. Cut him some slack, he is just overwhelmed with his system. :)

I didnt realize this game was even out yet. I played the first one and loved it. I would run to the store right now and pick up a copy but with all this snow and ice layered like a wedding cake in my area, I wont be going anywhere anytime soon. :(

As for the OP posting flame bait...he isn't to far from the truth here but as it has been pointed out, this was pretty well known as soon as the specs for the PS3 were released. Cut him some slack, he is just overwhelmed with his system. :)

its not out till feb 27th

How long was this game in development for? It better be freakin good. Cuz if it wasn't... people are gonna say a lot of bad things.

geh I'm gonna wait to play the game before making any kind of decision lol

Why all the negative posts? He's just reporting what OTHER people are saying that happen to be important people in the industry. What's the big deal?

You're like shamu you're so in the tank.

Carmack:
“What you can say really quite clearly and not get into too much argument about it is that the 360 is much easier to develop for, it’s easier to get the performance out of it that it can deliver..”
“If you were doing a whole lot of simulation, you can in theory get more performance out of the Cell processor than out of the two other dual-thread processors on the 360, but that’s a big ‘in theory’,”

Fanboys:
CARMACK SAID KILLZONE CAN'T BE DONE ON THE XBOX!!!!

That thread was locked before I could demolish your straw man. Carmack didn't say KZ2 could only be done on PS3, he said nothing about KZ2. He said the PS3 is more powerful than X360. GG said KZ2 couldn't be done on X360, and in the last thread, I gave some reasons why. It's built specifically for the PS3's hw. The KZ2 engine, if ported somehow, would bring the X360 to its knees. The X360 could not replicate the engine without serious bottlenecks. Read up on it. http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=51783

That thread was locked before I could demolish your straw man. Carmack didn't say KZ2 could only be done on PS3, he said nothing about KZ2. He said the PS3 is more powerful than X360. GG said KZ2 couldn't be done on X360, and in the last thread, I gave some reasons why. It's built specifically for the PS3's hw. The KZ2 engine, if ported somehow, would bring the X360 to its knees. The X360 could not replicate the engine without serious bottlenecks. Read up on it. http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=51783

Oi, stop attributing my quotes to Psychotext. Also, post gifs.

It looks so amazing in motion.

206kn5x.png

0317.jpg

1z2osvc.png

2gsit6v.png

33yorpz.jpg

33eou8y.jpg%5C

x3ekp0.jpg

a5ao94.jpg

eppwlc.png

dq27n5.jpg

928377_20081204_screen004.jpg

technoob said:
Also, post gifs.

:p

mwd02h.gif

^lmao

And wow, I was hoping this would be PCs year after buying 285s <_< eeh damn it first FEAR 2 feels weird and now this.

That second pic with the gun lit up like that is probably the best I've ever seen a gun in a video game. Though I've yet to see Crysis Wars maxed out in person. in a similar setting.

Awesome, the very first post (not topic post, mind you) is all it took for the waves of trolls to come in.

we already know the game has good gfx. what else does it offer.

Look at the user scores.. maybe xbox fanboys at its finest?
Yes.
But then again Sony fanboys did it to Gears 2. However, that was in response to the trashing of scores for R2 and LBP. Goes both ways.
we already know the game has good gfx. what else does it offer.
A great campaign (so we've heard), amazing ragdoll+animation and physics, outstanding online (coming from beta players).

Wow, Playstation magazines likes it, that's pretty feeble evidence of it being good. And some middle east site. What a joke.

Why do only those four sites have a review of it? Did they promise a good review to get the game early?

The first Killzone has a 70 rating, and sequels usually aren't as good.

Yes.
But then again Sony fanboys did it to Gears 2. However, that was in response to the trashing of scores for R2 and LBP. Goes both ways.

A great campaign (so we've heard), amazing ragdoll+animation and physics, outstanding online (coming from beta players).

That's so stupid. The feud between 360/PS3 people.

Both the systems are good. Both have good titles, just leave the games that are exclusives to that system to the people who actually own the system, sheesh.

Anyone else notice that the 360 and Wii got a headshot in one of the above gifs? ;)

If it plays as good as it looks I'll buy it. But I won't be running out the first day, since most previously hyped PS3 games were lousy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back