Killer Robots Target Fat Boys that can't Parkour

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you have not been brushing up on your cardio or parkour skills, you likely just slipped a bit further down on the Darwin list when it comes to welcoming our robot overlords. Thanks Boston Dynamics.

Check out the video.

Atlas does parkour. The control software uses the whole body including legs, arms and torso, to marshal the energy and strength for jumping over the log and leaping up the steps without breaking its pace. (Step height 40 cm.) Atlas uses computer vision to locate itself with respect to visible markers on the approach to hit the terrain accurately.

Hilarious title, Kyle.

From what I see, Atlas is barely above fat boy level. Most will be safe for a while longer.

Impressive movement. I am wondering what's with the constant walking, though. Still can't maintain balance while stationary? Every robot of theirs has been like that.

These things are going to protect the shit out of us one day. I am genuinely impressed but also scared. Can I be both?

Like the Puppeteers said "It's unwise to build your replacement" ; they were talking about AI, but this applies too.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords!

I for one welcome our new Terminator overlords.

If AI were to suddenly go live tomorrow, you would be one of its first targets because if it's already come to the conclusion humanity needs to be eradicated, any human with self-preservation in mind is selfish and will say anything (including lie) to live. However, thanks to social media and the aggregation of all the metadata collected on humans (thanks NSA) it already has a perfect psychological profile on you, so there isn't much you can say at this point to prevent your untimely death from AI.

Meanwhile, I would already be dead because I was the naive fool who sympathized with robots and advocated peace between both species. However, I was hated by my own kind and killed along with the robots during the war, and all because I just wanted to break bread and batteries.

And now the weather...

Last edited:
Must've been some intense nail-biting going on during that demo/test.

When we start seeing combat models of this thing is when we will know we are good and truly hosed as a species.

I'm all for the technology advancement, especially for things such as prosthetics or powered exosuits or something. Just not giant rocket jumping murder machines.

rule_1___cardio_by_bubimandril.jpg

When we start seeing combat models of this thing is when we will know we are good and truly hosed as a species.

I'm all for the technology advancement, especially for things such as prosthetics or powered exosuits or something. Just not giant rocket jumping murder machines.

Then someone better get on the phone with the Hague or something but even that isn't going to stop it. Only slow it down and keep it confined to those willing to break the rules, for development, just for development.

Back