Killed Ubuntu 10.10 HELP!!@!

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
I plugged a 3rd monitor in the DP port on my HD5750 card and I got a display. But it was mirrored, wanted an extended desktop. Changed settings and it asked me to log out and log back in. Once I did that. Nada. No display, it seems it isn't booting completely either.
I'm desperate because this is my work system. I disconnected the 3rd display, no change. I Swapped monitors thinking it was a out of range resolution it was trying to display. Nada.
Does anyone know in Ubuntu is there a "boot up" key I can press while it boots to get back to a stable configuration. (Like F6 in windows)

sub'd in case I come to this issue again.

I had ubuntu corrupt after doing an auto update once. I was so mad. I've used fedora since. At least fedora didn't disable the very important ctrl-alt-bksp combo.

good luck!

The install that is hosed is a complete install (not partitioned with another OS). I have a 2nd drive in the same system with Winxp and 10.4 64bit that I can use. BUT the 64 bit version just didn't perform to my expectation so I installed 10.10 on a drive to its own. It has been nearly FLAWLESS and has been great till I hosed it this morning playing with a 3rd monitor.
I have done some searches on this issue but everything is issues with laptops and all the solution are doing something in a terminal session. HOW am I suppose do to that if the monitors are blank???? Makes no sense.
Is there a "repair" I can try on the install disk like Windows has??
I'm still new enough to linux that when something doesn't work I don't know what to do.

Isn't there usually a "safe mode" thing in grub?
If not, you can edit the entry it boots - there should be instructions on the screen. I think you have to press esc to leave graphical mode; press space (or e?) to edit the boot command, and then add whatever switches to the kernel are relevant. Try adding " Single" (without the quotes, with the space) and see what that does.

If not, you can edit the entry it boots - there should be instructions on the screen. I think you have to press esc to leave graphical mode; press space (or e?) to edit the boot command, and then add whatever switches to the kernel are relevant. Try adding " Single" (without the quotes, with the space) and see what that does.

Tried that. Didn't work. I could see some text flash on screen, then black.
What ever happened; killed it good.
As far as the install CD, there is no rescue option for 10.10. It was left out for some reason.
I ended up reinstalling and now I'm good.
Thanks

For later reference, if the display driver is borked but the system otherwise boots, you can ssh in if you've got another machine. (If the other machine runs windows, you can use putty).

You'll need to install openssh-server (sudo apt-get install openssh-server) beforehand, mind you. I recommend you do so if you haven't already done so - and test that it works. :)

ok ok...i think i can help here.

1) get a ubuntu CD and live boot

2) once in mount (i think it automounts your "C:" drive)

3) open a terminal (get comfortable with this if you want to use linux)

4) go into your xorg config file (google for location)(I think its /home/*user*/.xorg.config

5) change name to xorg.old

6) run xorg-configuration

7) check to see if a new one was created

8) if not copy the one from /etc/X11/

9) if that doesnt work post up your xorg config file. I will take a look at it

the error was probably caused by xorg (the GUI of linux) getting corrupt or not having the proper settings. Also check to see if you have the ati CCC program installed. its the driver software for ATI cards.

that "safe mode" is a copy of your kernel to load. not a true "safe mode" to load.

It wasn't clear from your description if the system boots and runs or just hangs on boot. If the former, then a quick alt-fnX (like alt-function 3 or 4 for instance) should bring up virtual terminal instance which you can log into, then su and proceed from there. As a start I would reconfigure the X11 system. I'm sure you've seen lots of links discussing that if not just post and I'd be glad to work through it with you.

If you prefer the failsafe way then just reinstall but use the manual disk partitioning and don't format your home partition. It'll redo everything with no data loss.

ctrl+alt+F1 should dump you to a command prompt login. From there you should be able to restore your xorg.conf file backup in /etc/X11.

If there is no backup, you can try re-configuring the xorg packege with 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg'

Back