Killed my PSU

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I am guessing I was pushing the upper limits of my Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) but last night I had some friends over, and we were in the living room talking and all of the sudden we heard the sound of electical arcing and the POP! I went into where my PC's sit and smelled the smell of burnt electronics. My main rig (the one in my sig) was toast.

Pulled the PSU and replaced it with a Antec NeoHE that I pulled from my other system which also uses an EPS12v PSU. The only thing that died was the PSU. I am going to RMA it if I can, but I need to get this rig up and running fast.

I do NOT want to spend the money on a PC Power & Cooling 850 or 1kw PSU. They are great PSU's but the price is BS.

I was thinking about replacing it with another Enermax, but I am not sure. I think that I need more than 600 watts of power, but I am thinking I'll need to do it in two PSU's. (Which will still be cheaper than a PC Power & Cooling 1kw PSU.)

Comments?

just get a PCP&C 510 you'll be fine

well till the second SLi card show up
at that poiint Id actually have to run numbers

Dan_D said:
I think that I need more than 600 watts of power, but I am thinking I'll need to do it in two PSU's. (Which will still be cheaper than a PC Power & Cooling 1kw PSU.)

Comments?

Why do you think that?

Spectre said:
Why do you think that?

Two Opteron 254's
Two 7900GTX's in SLI
6 Hard drives
1 Optical Drives
Plus whatever I do in the future.

That makes me think I need more than 600 watts. I also think that's why my PSU died. You add up all the drives, cards, memory, video cards, processors and I had to be pushing the limits at times on that Enermax PSU.

I don't honestly think a PC Power & Cooling 510SLI would cut it. Do the math and 500 or 600 Watts might not be enough, or it will be cutting it too close for comfort.

Dan_D said:
Two Opteron 254's
Max draw is 7.71 amps a piece on the 12v
Two 7900GTX's in SLI
Max draw is 7.41 amps each on the 12v

6 Hard drives
Max is 3 amps spinup draw....but most don't get close and I don't know which ones you are talking about or if you are using stagered spinup. Also their max draw time of spinup is not when the CPU's or GPU's will be maxed. Once past spinup you are looking max...about 1 amp per on the 12v and 1 amp o nthe 5v per...and that is an oversetimate.
1 Optical Drives
Max is going to be around 1.5 amps on the 12v and 5v.

Worst case somehow you could do it overdraw while running everything full bore is 37.74 amps on the 12v. The 510 is rated at 34 amps sustained (38 amps peak) on the 12v at 50c.

You might be pushing it and if so you are looking at getting a Zippy/EMACS PSL-6701P or a PC Power and Cooling 850w but you don't like the price on them so the 510 will be your best bet.

You're killing me. :) Dual CPU's and SLI.

If you can wait a couple months, I'm working on a tri-rail 800W with a dedicated 18A rail for the CPU's and a dedicated 37A rail for PCI-e.

Otherwise.. I would think that the fact the PCP&C 510W having one rail would actually work to your benefit. And keep in mind that that's 510W at 50C, so it's more along the lines of what some companies are pawning off as 800W unites (*cough*Tagan*cough*)

Other than that, maybe the Silverstone ST56F (38A on the 12V.)

See, your problem is if you went with a dual rail, your drives may starve the PCI-e's if they're on 12V1 and the two CPU's will starve the PCI-e's if they're on 12V2. A quad rail is out because each CPU will be on it's own rail (12V1 and 12V2) and the PCI-e's together on 12V3 and the drives all on 12V4. I mean.. you can try something like a Silverstone ST65ZF or ST60F and put one of the video cards on 12V4 via a Molex-to-PCI-e adapter, but I wouldn't want to suggest it without trying it myself.

jonnyGURU said:
Otherwise.. I would think that the fact the PCP&C 510W having one rail would actually work to your benefit. And keep in mind that that's 510W at 50C, so it's more along the lines of what some companies are pawning off as 800W unites (*cough*Tagan*cough*)

Yeah that is what i was thinking when I said the 510 as well or the Zippy PSL-6701P.

Great minds :p

I said "unites?" Man.. I should really proofread.

I would suggest the Zippy, but you know how I am.. Unless I've actually had my hands on one.. yadda, yadda, yadda....

Id point out my heaviest config (now somewhat leaner)
not exactly the same but close

dual opteron 244's, K8W, 4GB, FX3000, 10 drives, SX6000, 3x120mm mid rackmount monsters, 2 x 80mm HSF

without so much as a hiccup on the +12V rail of a PCP&C 510

for comparison purposes as mentioned its 510W @50C
your comparing it to supplies rated at a far lower temperature (-10C lower or more) so 600 to 650W

Spectre said:
Max is 3 amps spinup draw....but most don't get close and I don't know which ones you are talking about or if you are using stagered spinup.
2*Raptor 74, 4*Seagate 10k Cheetahs, if his sig is any indication. The raptors aren't too bad, at .4A on 12V and .8A on the 5 (see specs, near the bottom); the Seagates are quite a bit higher (!) at 1A@5V and 1.5A@12V (spec sheet, page 31). So the whole shebang is about 5.6A@5V, 6.8A@12V while running. Startup draw is a *lot* higher on the Seagates (the raptors aren't listed for this :() at 10.8+raptors@12v, and 4A+raptors@5V.

If it can't be RMA'd, you shoot shoot holes in it and post pictures.

That's what we do to bad hardware! :mad:

unhappy_mage said:
2*Raptor 74, 4*Seagate 10k Cheetahs, if his sig is any indication. The raptors aren't too bad, at .4A on 12V and .8A on the 5 (see specs, near the bottom); the Seagates are quite a bit higher (!) at 1A@5V and 1.5A@12V (spec sheet, page 31). So the whole shebang is about 5.6A@5V, 6.8A@12V while running. Startup draw is a *lot* higher on the Seagates (the raptors aren't listed for this :() at 10.8+raptors@12v, and 4A+raptors@5V.

Ah....thanks mage....I never look at sigs :eek:

I had the exact same power supply as you. I noticed mine making some interesting popping noises at startup and shutdown. Thus, why I went with the 1Kilowatt. :)

AppaYipYip said:
I had the exact same power supply as you. I noticed mine making some interesting popping noises at startup and shutdown. Thus, why I went with the 1Kilowatt. :)

Yeah I am thinking about it. I just having a hard time with the whole $449.99 for a PSU thing.

Dan_D said:
Yeah I am thinking about it. I just having a hard time with the whole $449.99 for a PSU thing.

That sounds funny considering how much the rest of the system costs.
:p

It's what must be done!

AppaYipYip said:
That sounds funny considering how much the rest of the system costs.
:p

It's what must be done!

Sadly I think you are probably right. What I've also considered is running two Antec NeoHE's in tandem to meet my power needs. Since I already have one Antec NeoHE, that would be my easiest way out. I am already using that power supply to power the rig without the SCSI drives. It's working fine and has been totally stable.

Back