Killed an Intel 320 SSD...

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
A few weeks back my Intel SSD was acting all jacked up...couldn't read from it etc. I got an new drive from Intel back the middle of last month, was running good till I went try and transfer over 12GB of data over to it to from my Primary SSD in the machine...it got about half way through it, then all of a sudden the drive crapped out and I was getting the infamous 8MB error with it :(

From what I understand, the 8MB error was supposed to be fixed (last year) and when it did happen, it was normally from power cycling issue...not from transfering files over.

Has anyone else run into issues with Windows 8 and SSD drives? I have a 240GB drive in it now from Sandisk and it seems to be working fine, and my problems with Intel Drives didn't start cropping up till I put Windows 8 on at the end of October. The old drive was a couple years old and the replacement drive was only 2 weeks before it gave up the ghost..

As far as I can tell, the Intel 320 (as well as X25-M) SSDs report 8MB capacity whenever they have any issue that might be referred to as a kernel panic. For example, whenever the FTL (flash translation layer) cannot be properly read so that the SSD can initialize, it apparently panics and goes into the mode where it reports 8MB.

Note that there is an error code that can sometimes be seen (instead of the drive serial number) with the Intel toolbox or from reading SMART info. For example, "BAD_CTX 0000013F" is the famous one that was associated with the "8MB bug" that plagued the 320s last year (and which Intel claimed was fixed). But that is not the only error code people have seen when the SSD has reverted to 8MB. So you may have a different issue.

I got very similar error to bad_ctx error you posted in my serial number when I used the intel SSD tool box...I have a replacement coming from Intel and they where nice not to charge me for shipping this time around.

Get the SSD Toolbox and verify the firmware on the new one when you get it. The 8MB fix was a firmware update and perchance your replacement drive had old firmware on it

Back