Kid Pees On $36,000 Worth of MacBooks

HardOCP News

[H] News
Proof positive that even eleven year old kids hate using Macs. $36,000 in damages? What is that...two iMacs and a MacBook Pro? :D

An 11-year-old boy urinated on several MacBook computers on a cart in the Upper Allen Elementary School Wednesday, damaging them beyond repair, according to Upper Allen Twp. police. The loss came to more than $36,000, police said.

I didn't know urinating on Macs would damage them beyond repair. Dropping them from 6 inches above the ground? Yes.

I didn't know urinating on Macs would damage them beyond repair. Dropping them from 6 inches above the ground? Yes.

From the first comment from the link:

Urine exposure of any kind to electronic devices is considered a biohazard and Apple by policy will no longer service the machines. This may be how they came to such a staggering figure resulting from just one incident.

It's not a unique policy either, so it's believable.

LOL, "biohazard." What utter bullshit. Apple employees are just whiner pussies.

I used to repair medical research devices that were used on cats, rabbits, monkeys...we didn't have the luxury of declaring urine to be a "biohazard" when servicing the instruments. And truthfully it's not, urine is sterile. It's just unpleasant for the delicate flowers Apple must employ.

Being a bunch of school machines they were probably all outdated crap worth maybe $3600. They probably looked up what it would cost to replace it with brand new top of the line machines and came up with the $36k figure.

Soon the boy will be exposing computers to an entirely different fluid if he's not already...

Being a bunch of school machines they were probably all outdated crap worth maybe $3600. They probably looked up what it would cost to replace it with brand new top of the line machines and came up with the $36k figure.

$10 says these are the White macbooks from 4-5 years ago.

If an eleven year old hasn't been socially normalized to the point where his brain wiring doesn't permit such things, then someone needs to go find the people responsible (his parents) and clobber them with a frozen tuna fish until they become more proactive.

To save $36,000 worth of hardware, I'd take my chances with the sterile "biohazard". =)

I don't understand why schools buy apple shit when the real word is filled with Windows based computers.

To save $36,000 worth of hardware, I'd take my chances with the sterile "biohazard". =)
Don't worry, I'm sure the school has some funds they're forced to spend so they don't get spending cuts next year. Nothing like wasting funds this year to make sure you have enough funds to waste next year.

I call it bullshit about damaged beyond repair unless he pissed a storm. It is more like no one wants to touch them after he pissed all over them, lol.

I don't understand why schools buy apple shit when the real word is filled with Windows based computers.

What is there to not understand? The education system is all about status now rather than education. It's decided to embrace the "caste system" and cliques rather than trying to dissuade them. I'm not exactly sure one can even fault them for that given that all a majority of people care about anymore is their status and how others view said status. People used to be the bottom of the social hierarchy because they were smart. Now they are at the bottom if they aren't ahead of the Jones as it's no longer good enough to just try and keep up with them. It really has become all about "who you know and not what you know". If anyone needs that in a visual package, go watch the movie "The Joneses" as it will sum it up all rather nicely.

I threatened the teacher of my keyboarding class, that I was going to throw all the computers out the window. (second floor class room) but that was because I did not want to take a boring computer class I wanted to play games or program.

Unless they were on, this wouldn't "damage beyond repair" anything. Sensationalist bullshit, lol.

Still funny. I wonder why the kid did it.

The company that I work keeps the original purchase price of equipment. So even a 4-5 year old laptop carries a ridiculous "value". Something to do with taxes.

The laptops are depreciated per year, hence why old equipment isn't sold right away even though it might not be in use.

Mac warranty is awful. They will deny anything they can. The support is great when you need to contact that, but getting something like a board replaced under warranty is awful.

Which brings me to my next point. You have to have a yearly certification to work on the hardware under warranty and when I worked for a school system of 20,000 computers (most mac) some of the board costs exceeded the actual value of the notebooks by 2 or 3 times.

Think of an ibook G4 costing around 400 for the board shipped. Finding a second hand vendor on eBay? Forget about it.

LOL, "biohazard." What utter bullshit. Apple employees are just whiner pussies.

I used to repair medical research devices that were used on cats, rabbits, monkeys...we didn't have the luxury of declaring urine to be a "biohazard" when servicing the instruments. And truthfully it's not, urine is sterile. It's just unpleasant for the delicate flowers Apple must employ.

So if a homeless person urinated on you it wouldn't be so bad because it's sterile?

The kid was probably told to pee on the machines so they could make an insurance claim to replace the Macbook junk they had.

I'm just wondering what a gradeschool is doing with mac's in the first place. If you're trying to prepare kids how to use what they will use in the real world it seems rather stupid to get them used to anything, but a PC with windows on it. Not to mention the fact that it's be a load cheaper. Last I checked Apple didn't give schools any kind of steep discount.

Mac warranty is awful. They will deny anything they can. The support is great when you need to contact that, but getting something like a board replaced under warranty is awful.

I could imagine the phone to call to apple support:

Apple Rep: Hello Apple support, how can I help today?

Customer: Hi my Macbook is full of piss, an 11year old urinated on it.

Apple Rep: Dont worry its a feature.

I could imagine the phone to call to apple support:

Apple Rep: Hello Apple support, how can I help today?

Customer: Hi my Macbook is full of piss, an 11year old urinated on it.

Apple Rep: Dont worry its a feature.

The only problem is they never do the diagnosing over the phone. They will take anything you send back, then investigate and deny.

It's because they are immune to viruses, bug free and the security is so much better with Apple. Oh and it might be because it's magical... :p

What is there to not understand? The education system is all about status now rather than education.

Now? Schools have been using Apple products since the dawn of computers. Perhaps that's how the whole Apple/Hippie culture came about in the first place.

What does it take to prove that public school get too much money?

1) Buying Apple computers.
2) Throwing out 36 computers because there's a little tinkle on them.

Back